How do I get into the midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

jjsuper

Draftee
Dec 18, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm 20yo, 189cm, 90kg; played on the Wing or HF flank a lot last year, but got a run in the centre a few times last year and thought I did pretty well. Hoping to make the jump up to full-time midfield this year but not looking too likely, and wondering what I should do. Talked to my coach, but not much interest, but my best position is definitely as an on-baller.

Show that you want it badly enough by being the hardest trainer on the track (even if you aren't winning the time trials).

Then make sure whenever there are any contested drills or match sim that you win your own footy. I guarantee there are guys in your senior team who are slower than you or have inferior skills, but they can win the footy at the coalface and that counts for everything.

If this is a weakness in your game, you are thankfully young enough to improve on it.

2s last year, hoping to make the jump up to 1s this season
In that case all I can suggest is busting your arse in the pre season to build up the endurance until they can't ignore you as a mid in the 2s. Perform well there and hopefully get called up in your preferred possie in the 1s. If you do get the call up to the ones but as a flanker, rinse and repeat next pre season. I'm not sure what divi or comp it is but most local mids are gut running endurance machines. Best of luck!

I'm 20yo, 189cm, 90kg; played on the Wing or HF flank a lot last year, but got a run in the centre a few times last year and thought I did pretty well. Hoping to make the jump up to full-time midfield this year but not looking too likely, and wondering what I should do. Talked to my coach, but not much interest, but my best position is definitely as an on-baller.

Keep believing in yourself because no one else will until you prove them wrong.
You are probably an extremely fit individual already but you can always take it a step further. Some of the best midfielders in the game are not usually the most brilliant or skilled but they are the fittest.

Play as a high defensive HF and you virtually have licence across the ground except centre bounces..

On top of what everyone else has said, you might want to talk to your coach about what you would have to do to break into the midfield. You say that you think inside is your best position but your coach may think very differently. You might be much better on the outside and he may not want to lose that for team balance by having you play inside all the time.

Ask the correct questions and listen.

Suggest changing the narrative slightly by asking your coach and being interested in his opinion

If your coach is half the coach he should be he should give you a plan that will get you in the middle

By the way what’s your X factor ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ask the correct questions and listen.

Suggest changing the narrative slightly by asking your coach and being interested in his opinion

If your coach is half the coach he should be he should give you a plan that will get you in the middle

By the way what’s your X factor ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks everyone for the replys, ended up starting mid rd1 last week and had 25 dp and a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back