Strategy How do we fix the forward line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Boyd and Schache FF and CHF. Rough or Campbell to ruck majority of game. Rough could rotate with Trengove down back if needed as I'm in the camp that he wasn't bad down back others disagree. If Campbell plays Boyd could rotate but no more than 20% of game either Boyd or Trengove ruck. That way both forward and back stable and have chance to gel. If only we can get Smith, Dickson and Picken back that would make such a difference.

I think a scientific approach is needed to this problem of how do we fix our forward line,
we need to look at the various methodologies and structures that other teams put in
place to enable them to score. A good starting point is Richmond being the reigning
premier and a scoring machine, their scoring relies on quick ball movement into a
forward line designed to pressure the ball and result in multiple entries and re-entries
off quick turnovers. They select players to play as a team not necessarily the best or
most talented players, but a team first approach. Our current list cannot play this way
as we don't have the personnel or the ball movement required. The third man up rule
is the one major thing that has affected our ability to negate the opposition rucks
away from the centre bounce and provide us with a focused tap to an area of
convergence or point of origin for our burst run and share principal which lead in
our good games to multiple goal kickers who could not be readily defended due to
the random nature of this approach. Where to now well you can tell they know about
it by the recruitment of Tim English and the want to try Easton Wood and Jason
Johannisen forward, but perhaps we are in a holding pattern hoping for a sign from
Boyd and Schache and the injection of the next Dickson, Picken and Clay Smith
types, one thing for sure is there is no quick fix this will take years as well as a
different philosophy to ball movement and retention.

In what way?

Do you honestly think he will get anywhere close to Darling, Kennedy, Cameron, or Brown's level???

I was and still am of the opinion that getting Schache was a good move.

As for been anywhere near to the players you name note.

Kennedy has Darling as a helper and vice versa, Cameron has Patton, Lobb and others as helpers, Brown has Waite to help ease the burden of been the go to man who are we developing to be similar to assist Scache or we expect him to mark everything, contest everything etc.

In what way?

Do you honestly think he will get anywhere close to Darling, Kennedy, Cameron, or Brown's level???
Why not? Josh Kennedy for example didn't do anything of note until 2009, which was his 4th year of footy.

It's not like we can even judge him on his body of work for us. He's played like 3 VFL games for us and been injured the rest of the time.
He's not even 21 yet. What ever happened to giving talls a little bit of time to actually develop? These days it's like if they're not kicking 50 goals by their 3rd year that they're a complete bust.
Dude came from Brisbane for god sake. They aren't known for their high quality development programs.

Stringer did SFA, cheap possessions and a few tackles. Is it sustainable? Not for his pea heart.
He is gone. Get over it. Move on.

I remember hearing rumours that Beveridge wanted brad Sewell to come over when he first started.

The more I think about it the more I think we should build our forward line around Boyd and Schache. Picks 1 and 2 in their drafts as key forwards. I know Boyd can ruck and offers something but could offer more as a forward and be covered in ruck. I still think Rough ok but he needs continuity which he never seems to get. Play the big boys forward and recruit some fast small forwards who know where the goals are. I'm a bit old fashioned.

Gowers Boyd Dahl
Lipinski Schache Dale

Should be our starting 6 up there for a few weeks in my opinion. Nice mix of speed, marking and running ability.

Dahl needs to be locked into a forward pocket (and to Boyd’s ankles) again like in his youth. Get him crumbing and snapping at goal unrelentingly. I know he’s a horrid set shot but let’s use the pace and hardness he has left to our advantage.

Do our players sprint much ?

Off my head I don't recall our players busting their guts much.

I remember there was a stat breakdown 2 years ago and it showed dogs vs opposition and it had sprint stats. We basically didn't like to run as hard as the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kick straight when shooting for goal and the forward line will fix itself.... Hang on a minute !

Where have i heard that ?

Gowers Boyd Dahl
Lipinski Schache Dale

Should be our starting 6 up there for a few weeks in my opinion. Nice mix of speed, marking and running ability.

Dahl needs to be locked into a forward pocket (and to Boyd’s ankles) again like in his youth. Get him crumbing and snapping at goal unrelentingly. I know he’s a horrid set shot but let’s use the pace and hardness he has left to our advantage.

Less pressure in that forward line than there is against my belt after a KFC bucket

Backlines would walk the ball out.

Injuries are killing us. Add Redpath, Dickson, Picken, Smith and we're fine

Sorry but Redpath is not much good, Dickson is getting on a bit, Picko may only return for a handful of games and Smiths knees are shot, this is not a solution.

Scrag said we need a Rioli, he's not wrong. Are we the only club without an quick indigenous goal sneak?

Gowers Boyd Dahl
Lipinski Schache Dale

Dale and Lipinski wouldn't work for me, don't provide anywhere near the pressure required.

Gowers - Schache - Dahlhaus
Dickson - Boyd - Mclean

Ideally I want the Bont back in the middle putting it in to that forward line.

I don't see what it would hurt to simply plop Boyd and Schache in the forward line all year and let them grow, we are not going to be a contender this year. If Bevo did this and announced that he was going to do this, i wouldn't be upset if we lost games because they needed time to work out a system.

Part of why people are getting upset is we know NOTHING about what they are planning, position wise, it is very adhoc and random.

All fit our forward line could be pretty decent with some back up

Smith (Dalhaus) Boyd (Campbell) Dickson (Gowers)
Picken (Dunkley) Redpath (Schache) Dale (Lipinski)

Unfortunately though in terms of proven:

Picken - top 5 player
Dickson - multiple 2 goal + games a season
Smith - big game player - kicks bags and tackles ferociously

All are injured and now have some question marks. And all have a edge to them that others don’t except Billy - who was a huge surprise to step up this far.

We need players to replace these. Hard - good overhead, tackle and can kick straight. One midsized 191-194 but agile (we can’t leave Bonti there full time) and a bull terrier and a fast a skillful player that makes opposition panic.

Boyd and Schache are not there yet but have the talent to be and have no problem persisting with them with Campbell and Red as back up.

I would play Schache in spite of not being as impressed as some in his VFL play - he runs around like he is a midfielder rather than crashing packs like a big guy. I would put him in with the role for now is to run multiple sprints and crash packs - he is not Riewoldt but few Backman can go with him and he can kick 50 plus easily so will draw people out. Contest to contest just hit the packs hard and we will wrap up from there.

Goal kicking is bad but it has to be about confidence not ability. Boyd as an U18 was a great kick as was Schache.

So what can we do now?

The idea is moving Dahl is a good one but I expect they are trying to close his contract - this may explain why he dropped off - not sure if a move would help or harm this - as a small forward he is great and we need him there but this would be obvious and not used so expect a wider plan. Tried Honey - can’t kick - too slow to act.

McLean can improve us forward in Pickens role but his growth in the middle could produce an elite midfielder so may be a Peter and Paul situation.

Cordy is a developing really well in the back line but with Moz and Adams coming back moving him forward as that mid size could be great - he has true C in him and we need that forward. Trengrove, Moz and Adams is a good big three for the back line.

Lippy is scoring like Dickson but he doesn’t lead out or tackle - this has a huge attack on our scoring efficiency- still congested players is death. But watch the VFL all are poorly timed movement rather than positive leads - I understand people block but the leads to 50 still work and enable the up the ground player to kick quickly and effectively.

Red does this when fit and that is what we look better even if he doesn’t score bags. But he is at least 4/5 weeks away. Adams is OK but seemed only to blosspm when he could read and react as a Backman rather than lead and create. Trengrove is a fighter but it is the burst of power we just don’t get from him. Naughton is 5 weeks away but is also a brilliant natural defender and 10 year potential star let’s not wreck him.

I am a huge Dunkley fan but want to him to develop to his strengths - become a midfield contested bull.

We tried Jong but I still think he could be something if given a job in the forward line. His decision making is not great but his tackling and speed are - and he gets the ball away quickly. Linsanity for me.

So for now:

Gowers Boyd Dalhaus
LJ Schache Dale

I am probably alone on this but I was always a fan of Campbell at full forward. Can mark and a great set shot. Can then obviously ruck too. Wouldn’t mind giving it a shot again.

So we fix our forwards line with

Campbell
Jong
Adams
Schache

We are truly f!cked

Less pressure in that forward line than there is against my belt after a KFC bucket

Backlines would walk the ball out.
Gowers and Dahl are great pressure players. Neither of the tall's are much chop when it comes to chase and tackle but no tall blokes are very well known for it. We make that sacrifice for structure, as do 15 other teams in the league.

Lip is a natural forward and a goal kicker, as is dale when played there full time. We need them forward as much as possible. Agree somewhat though. Maybe these two are played interchangeably on a wing and we find a pressure monster like the swans find 11 a year of to fill the last gap.

Who's your suggestion for that position?

I don't mind you disagreeing with me but at least provide alternatives, cobba.

Dale and Lipinski wouldn't work for me, don't provide anywhere near the pressure required.

Gowers - Schache - Dahlhaus
Dickson - Boyd - Mclean

Ideally I want the Bont back in the middle putting it in to that forward line.

I don't see what it would hurt to simply plop Boyd and Schache in the forward line all year and let them grow, we are not going to be a contender this year. If Bevo did this and announced that he was going to do this, i wouldn't be upset if we lost games because they needed time to work out a system.

Part of why people are getting upset is we know NOTHING about what they are planning, position wise, it is very adhoc and random.
Dicko is done, man. He's just not athletically there and his durability has fallen off a cliff. It happens.

Mclean needs to spend max minutes in the middle. His delivery into the forward line and attack on the ball in the centre is more valuable.

Gowers and Dahl are great pressure players. Neither of the tall's are much chop when it comes to chase and tackle but no tall blokes are very well known for it. We make that sacrifice for structure, as do 15 other teams in the league.

Lip is a natural forward and a goal kicker, as is dale when played there full time. We need them forward as much as possible. Agree somewhat though. Maybe these two are played interchangeably on a wing and we find a pressure monster like the swans find 11 a year of to fill the last gap.

Who's your suggestion for that position?

I don't mind you disagreeing with me but at least provide alternatives, cobba.

Dale Lippa Schache and Joyf give next to no pressure

If anything the tigers have taught us pressure forwards are more or just as important as goal kickers. Castagna isn’t a footballers a$$ but look at him in that system.

The reality is due to awful reading and list management we don’t have the players to form a decent forward line.

So this year accept we are bottom 4 and play the kids and accept the belting coz that’s what will happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back