How many matches will the Giants win this season?

How many matches will the Giants win this season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Gold Coast won 3 games in their first year, and 3 games in their second.

GWS won 2 games in their first year...how many will they win in their second?

I think 3. But I think the more important issue is how many floggings will there be? The signs of improvement for mine will be whether they can reduce the amount of big losses - effectively, being more competitive for longer. Young sides will always jag a few wins, but its in the size ( or lack thereof) of the losses that the real measure will be gauged.

I think 3. But I think the more important issue is how many floggings will there be? The signs of improvement for mine will be whether they can reduce the amount of big losses - effectively, being more competitive for longer. Young sides will always jag a few wins, but its in the size ( or lack thereof) of the losses that the real measure will be gauged.

Agree. We could conceivably lose every game and yet have a markedly better year than last. Competitiveness and percentage. That's what I'm looking for.

Having said that, I voted 3-4 :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, all I am hoping is that we avoid the Suns first half of last season, where it seemed they took a backward step with a string of big losses, before recovering in the second half of the season.

One win in the first four games would be good, but just as important, we need to last the distance in most of our early games to maintain interest in the club for the remainder of the season.

We did a darn good imitation of it against the defending premiers, after getting jumped in the first quarter.

Yes, the best part was hearing Roo's change his mind from "the swans class will blow out the score in the 4th quarter" to "The Swans havent had a full off season so thats why the Giants are able to hold their own in the 4th quarter" o_O

Agree. We could conceivably lose every game and yet have a markedly better year than last. Competitiveness and percentage. That's what I'm looking for.

Having said that, I voted 3-4 :)

I agree with both these posts.

The Suns won 3 games in 2011 their inaugural year
This season included 3 losses of 100+ and also 11 losses of 50-100
Only twice did we get within 3 goals (West Coast and Hawthorn)
We did not win at our home stadium

In 2012 we still only won 3 games again but we had a substantially better season.
This season included 1 loss of 100+ and 7 losses of 50-100 (most in the first half of the season)
5 times we got within 3 goals, these included 3 top 8 teams (Geelong, Freo, North) and also Essendon in Rd 3 when they were the inform team of the competition

So have faith. Even if you don't have a great deal more wins then you did last year, pay attention to the results you do get, because the improvement will be there!

I agree with both these posts.

The Suns won 3 games in 2011 their inaugural year
This season included 3 losses of 100+ and also 11 losses of 50-100
Only twice did we get within 3 goals (West Coast and Hawthorn)
We did not win at our home stadium

In 2012 we still only won 3 games again but we had a substantially better season.
This season included 1 loss of 100+ and 7 losses of 50-100 (most in the first half of the season)
5 times we got within 3 goals, these included 3 top 8 teams (Geelong, Freo, North) and also Essendon in Rd 3 when they were the inform team of the competition

So have faith. Even if you don't have a great deal more wins then you did last year, pay attention to the results you do get, because the improvement will be there!

Couldn't agree more. The media constantly simplify discussion about the Suns and GWS about how many wins they will have this year. The real focus needs to be on how competitive they are in games, quarters one, reduced number of thrashings. It is intriguing watching a team at that stage when they are turning the corner, there will be a time when it starts to click and then boom. I remember watching Brisbane beat Essendon in the 2001 home and away, it was a we have arrived game. This will no doubt happen one day for the Giants and the Suns (certainly one hell of a lot sooner than for the Demons).

I having been happy with our overall improvement this year. In each game we have done better than last year, excluding port Adelaide who have improved enormously. The st Kilda game wasn't good but it was an improvement on last year.
Today was good. They obviously had no legs at the end, but we were better for longer. Interestingly, Melbourne nearly doubled their avg tackle count today - against a bunch of kids... Flat track bullies much?
Today was a good example of how we can improve on last year; not winning as many games, but reducing the margins and being more competitive in more games. Be interesting to see if we can continue to be slightly more competitive throughout the whole season.

I having been happy with our overall improvement this year. In each game we have done better than last year, excluding port Adelaide who have improved enormously. The st Kilda game wasn't good but it was an improvement on last year.
Today was good. They obviously had no legs at the end, but we were better for longer. Interestingly, Melbourne nearly doubled their avg tackle count today - against a bunch of kids... Flat track bullies much?
Today was a good example of how we can improve on last year; not winning as many games, but reducing the margins and being more competitive in more games. Be interesting to see if we can continue to be slightly more competitive throughout the whole season.

Agreed. Whilst the losses are disappointing, it's always good to take a step back and monitor the improvement which the team has shown this year. The losses have been heavy, but nowhere near as bad as last year. I also think that opposing teams are taking GWS much more seriously this year and realise they have to play their best footy. The match against Melbourne was a Grand final for them. It's also encouraging to see that we've got a lot of depth in the side (except in defence and ruckman).

The kicking and marking is a bit ordinary. Relying a lot on running the ball and hand passing - that'll tire any team out.

We haven't played a top 8 side yet (except the swans), so hopefully we don't get any 100pt blowouts against them.

Back