How much of our history is incorrect?

Remove this Banner Ad

So something was published in 1879 or later

This is a big IF, but if bigfooty existed in 1875, before this was published, you would be stubbornly arguing, that without proof, that it doesnt exist?

I've argued no such thing.

I'd look at the evidence for BigFooty's existence, see whether there was corroborating evidence that such a thing existed and then make an informed decision.

I've argued no such thing.

I'd look at the evidence for BigFooty's existence, see whether there was corroborating evidence that such a thing existed and then make an informed decision.

And we wouldnt even discuss it at the time ie tudor times in public, for fear of being murdered for public entertainment.

I suppose youul now ask me to quote examples of that

By the way, i meant youd be arguing the non existance of accounts which werent in the public domain yet

The history of fairly old historical documents and other informative sources is asubject in itself

Documents which werent actually destroyed, but were out of the public domain for a long time, even centuries

In the case of Anne Boleyn, many writers would not have commented publicly at the time, because the consequences were likely to be fatal

This page gives a few hints about one set of documents. Henry VIII love letters to anne boleyn, now in the vatican facility, no one knows for sure how they got there, but they exist.

http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/the-vatican-love-letters-of-henry-viii-linda-holds-them/

And we wouldnt even discuss it at the time ie tudor times in public, for fear of being murdered for public entertainment.

We might write it down though. Maybe even foreign visitors might write it down. Whether they did or not is unknown.

By the way, i meant youd be arguing the non existance of accounts which werent in the public domain yet

All I'm suggesting is that we have some contemporary accounts of what Anne Boleyn (who you brought up) might have looked like and that there is no evidence that any other account of her appearance was deliberately destroyed. Any suggestion that there definitely was other material as to her appearance that was deliberately destroyed is merely assumption on your part.

This page gives a few hints about one set of documents. Henry VIII love letters to anne boleyn, now in the vatican facility, no one knows for sure how they got there, but they exist.

http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/the-vatican-love-letters-of-henry-viii-linda-holds-them/

Ok. Good. If so, there's another piece of corroborating evidence about the life and times of Anne Boleyn that modern historians can use to piece together a more accurate picture of her life and times.

Ok. Good. If so, there's another piece of corroborating evidence about the life and times of Anne Boleyn that modern historians can use to piece together a more accurate picture of her life and times.
But was well out of the public domain for goodness how long

Do you also deny there might be more dociments either deliberately or accidentally lost, but yet to come to light.

Either on this or any other subject?

We might write it down though. Maybe even foreign visitors might write it down. Whether they did or not is unknown.

All I'm suggesting is that we have some contemporary accounts of what Anne Boleyn (who you brought up) might have looked like and that there is no evidence that any other account of her appearance was deliberately destroyed. Any suggestion that there definitely was other material as to her appearance that was deliberately destroyed is merely assumption on your part.

And as I said, not just assumptions on my part

If you can just restate your case, so can l. Neither carries much scholarly weight

Then I said there are cases where many think such destruction was very probable

Eg the lack of portrature of anne boleyn

When you visit hampton court, they tell you all traces of anne boleyn had been removed, but there is one reference, in the cieling of the great hall

Many documents of the time not surfacing till the 1800s

How many documents of what significance were destroyed, and how many still arent in the public domain?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats how I read it. You kept demanding proof it had happened

In the case of a historical figure or event you can make an assumption that historical documents dealing with that event or figure MAY been deliberately destroyed, (and indeed that MAY have happened - anything is possible).

However you cannot definitely, say, without corroborating evidence of some kind, that such evidence about all historical events or figures (if it existed in the first place) was in fact actually deliberately destroyed. There are of course myriad examples of the wilful destruction of archaeological evidence and documents in various libraries such as the destruction of the Imperial Library of Constantinople in 1204 or the destruction of feudal records in France in 1789 during the Great Fear.

However that does not necessarily follow that because Henry VIII dissolved monasteries causing records to be lost or destroyed during his reign, that records of Anne Boleyn's life were also necessarily deliberately targeted for destruction and/or accidentally destroyed. They MAY have been, but we don't know for certain that they were. We cannot definitely say that they were.

But they probably were, we know that lots of stuff dissappeared into the vatican. We now know that as fact

I only quoted that case because its widely assumed that items related to boleyn were destroyed, and thers probaly evidence of that. Just baecause i cant be bothered finding it to submit to a pointless argument doesnt mesan it doesnt exist

Your inplication that Because I personally couldnt quote proof does not mean you are right either. If you took on someone more learnd in the area, theyd anhailate your arguments, and youd slope off to another argument.

I dont particularly enjoy someone just demanding proof proof proof in some adolescent game

You may think you won the argument by selective posting, but you kid yourself really

Last edited:
When you visit hampton court, they tell you all traces of anne boleyn had been removed, but there is one reference, in the cieling of the great hall

What sort of reference? A portrait?

Many of her badges were removed and replaced by those of Jane Seymour. But we know from other evidence what her badges looked like.

But they probably were, we know that lots of stuff dissappeared into the vatican. We now know that as fact

Exactly my point. How do we know that as fact? Because there are other pieces of corroborating evidence that they existed in the first place? Or they have been since re-discovered or announced that they exist?

I only quoted that case because its widely assumed that items related to boleyn were destroyed, and thers probaly evidence of that.

But is there evidence of that? That's what I am asking. And if there isn't what evidence is there that your claims are beyond assumption?

Just baecause i cant be bothered finding it to submit to a pointless argument doesnt mesan it doesnt exist

And until evidence is provided by anyone how do we know that they do exist?

Your inplication that Because I personally couldnt quote proof does not mean you are right either.

Right about what? I'm not saying that evidence in relation to Anne Boleyn wasn't destroyed. I'm suggesting in the absence of any corroborating evidence any claim that it existed in order to be destroyed is little more than assumption. Are you disputing this?

If you took on someone more learnd in the area, theyd anhailate your arguments, and youd slope off to another argument.

If they provide compelling irrefutable evidence, then sure, I'd accept the premise that contemporary pictorial evidence as to Anne Boleyn's appearance existed and was destroyed. However just assuming that such evidence existed and was subsequently destroyed is problematic.

All my point has been is that if a historical claim is made, it needs to be based on more than just supposition. I'm not trying to argue that there definitely no destroyed contemporary pictorial evidence of Anne Boleyn's appearance. I'm just asking how you suppose that there was.

I dont particularly enjoy someone just demanding proof proof proof in some adolescent game

I'm sure you don't. But when a claim (and I didn't make any counter-claim) is made, most generally try and back it up with some sort of empirical evidence. I'm just asking what that might be.

You may think you won the argument by selective posting, but you kid yourself really

I'm not trying to win any argument. I'm just asking on what basis you suppose/assume that there was contemporary pictorial evidence of Anne Boleyn's appearance that was subsequently destroyed beyond supposition/assumption. If there's evidence that there was and it was destroyed by Henry VIII, then great! What is it though?

Last edited:
So what are you trying to say Roylion?

All my point has been is that if a historical claim about an event or personage is made, it needs to be based on more than just supposition /assumption.

So as an example I'm asking on what basis you suppose/assume that there was contemporary pictorial evidence of Anne Boleyn's appearance that was subsequently destroyed beyond supposition/assumption. If there's evidence that there was and it was destroyed by Henry VIII, then great! What is it though?

But its just an example of where stuff has probably been destroyed, one which a lot of people dont challenge. All well and good but if you really feel strongly that thye are wrong, seek them out and challenge them, theres lots of them.

Youd be doing the historical world a big favour

So whats ypur point in relation to the OP ?

Im not suggesting anyone, thats not my point.

My point is my point despite you trying to focus on it through your own lens.

The absence of portraiture, whats your take?
Katharine howard was beheaded but plenty of authenticated portrats survive, as do most of the tudors, even the ones who made enemies on the other side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back