How to find more of the footy??

Remove this Banner Ad

lions2002

Rookie
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I use the ball really well, and have got lightning pace. But I can't seem to get a lot of touches. I sit on 15-20 touches a game, which is keeping me in the two's.

I play through the midfield
Well what would stop you becoming a line breaking half back flank? Like you said 15/20 midfield possessions aren't going to be enough to get you a seniors spot but 15/20 for a lightning paced skilled back flanker could be extremely damaging.

You are competing for a spot in a position most teams have their best players simply.

It comes down to workrate. You need to find that extra fitness level and push yourself to absolute exhaustion. The more contests you get to and the more ground you cover, the more positions you'll be in to receive the ball.

What league are you playing in? It must be an extremely high standard if you are getting 20 possessions in any position in the 2s and that's only 'just enough' to hold your spot.

I assume you're not playing in the VFL reserves or WAFL colts. Total possessions for a game is significantly lower at country and amatuer level, and your % of total possessions relative to the teams total is probably comparably healthy.

Regardless, 20 possessions at any level is good. Just focus more on what you're doing with the ball. Quality > quantity.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back