How to find more of the footy?? | BigFooty

How to find more of the footy??

Discussion in 'Skills, Coaching, Admin, Umpires' started by lions2002, Jun 16, 2017.

1. lions2002

lions2002 Rookie

Brisbane Lions
    I use the ball really well, and have got lightning pace. But I can't seem to get a lot of touches. I sit on 15-20 touches a game, which is keeping me in the two's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. 10571z

10571z Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    How fit are you? Thats the first thing i would be looking to improve. What position do you play? Maybe a half back role would be better suited in a Hunt, JJ role?

3. lions2002

lions2002 Rookie

Brisbane Lions
    I play through the midfield

4. 10571z

10571z Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Well what would stop you becoming a line breaking half back flank? Like you said 15/20 midfield possessions aren't going to be enough to get you a seniors spot but 15/20 for a lightning paced skilled back flanker could be extremely damaging.

You are competing for a spot in a position most teams have their best players simply.

5. freddy mercury

freddy mercury Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Jacksonville
    Make the 15-20 count.

6. Golden_6

Golden_6 Premiership Player

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    It comes down to workrate. You need to find that extra fitness level and push yourself to absolute exhaustion. The more contests you get to and the more ground you cover, the more positions you'll be in to receive the ball.

Aeglos likes this.
  7. AFLOnline

AFLOnline Premium Gold

St Kilda
    What league are you playing in? It must be an extremely high standard if you are getting 20 possessions in any position in the 2s and that's only 'just enough' to hold your spot.

I assume you're not playing in the VFL reserves or WAFL colts. Total possessions for a game is significantly lower at country and amatuer level, and your % of total possessions relative to the teams total is probably comparably healthy.

Regardless, 20 possessions at any level is good. Just focus more on what you're doing with the ball. Quality > quantity.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017