crowie

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2004
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
N. Forest, NY Mets
Played cricket today, I play for Central District CC. I play with a few Centrals junior football players and our president is the coach of the under 19's.

Apparently Shannon is very happy to be going to such a great team like West Coast. Apparently he is most happy about the fact that he doesn't have to perform in the first team straight away, he can take his time.

Sam Butler already being there will help him lots aswell, I don't know if their friends but they know each other from Centrals.

crowie said:
Played cricket today, I play for Central District CC. I play with a few Centrals junior football players and our president is the coach of the under 19's.

Apparently Shannon is very happy to be going to such a great team like West Coast. Apparently he is most happy about the fact that he doesn't have to perform in the first team straight away, he can take his time.

Sam Butler already being there will help him lots aswell, I don't know if their friends but they know each other from Centrals.

Yeh he seemed thrilled to pieces in the article posted on our official site, seems like a real mature guy too. Just wondering if you seen him play alot what is your thoughts on him, is he a big steal?

94_Eagles said:
At least one of our draft picks is happy to be coming to West Coast.
McKinley honestly needs to grow up.He's not 10 anymore and shouldn't need his parents holding his hand.It's not like he wont see them for years...he'll see them every few weeks.

Spoke to a few Central Districts fans tonight and most praise Hurn a whole lot, someone even said that Hurn will be better then Griffen and Cooney, if he is anywhere near those guys we done well, they all said Hurn was the best junior they ever had.

weagles_fan said:
McKinley honestly needs to grow up.He's not 10 anymore and shouldn't need his parents holding his hand.It's not like he wont see them for years...he'll see them every few weeks.

I love how we're already judging him based on about 5 seconds of news footage. Yep, he's already fitting in well with our supporters and the history of condemning players based on almost nothing.

There is an article in the Herald Sun with McKinley saying he is excited about coming to west coast, it just took away for the shock of having to move sunk in. Woosha gave him a call to speak to him and to welcome him to the club.

Shock turns to delight
27 November 2005 Sunday Herald Sun
Glenn McFarlane

The draft: Eagles swoop
INITIAL shock quickly turned to excitement for talented Yarrambat teenager Ben McKinley yesterday.

Sitting at home and listening to the national draft unfold with almost 100 family and friends, McKinley, 18, was a little disappointed when West Coast selected him at pick No.29.

The wrench of moving to the other side of the country, away from his close-knit family and community, initially concerned him, but a phone call from Eagles coach John Worsfold was enough to remind him of the opportunities that lie ahead.

"I was a bit surprised that they picked me up," the law student said.

"I hadn't spoken to them (West Coast) since September, so I thought I might have been headed to either Adelaide or Hawthorn.

"Initially, I was a bit sad.

"I was sitting on the couch with my Mum (Andrea), my Dad (Russell) and my brother (Mark), and they have been a great support for me over the years.

"At first you don't think about what a great opportunity you have been presented with -- you are thinking more about having to leave your family and friends.

"But I am sure they will be going over to Perth on a regular basis, and I think West Coast's membership in Victoria will go up a fair bit next year."

We all need to get off the kids back and give him a chance. Could turn out to be a good player with us.

McKinley was particularly pleased his Vic Metro teammate Matthew Spangher (pick No.34) was also selected by the Eagles.

The Eagles were keen to add another forward to their list in yesterday's draft, following the retirement of Phillip Matera this week.

McKinley, who is 184cm and 82kg, is a medium-sized forward who kicked more than 60 goals for the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup this year. He was named full-forward in the under-18 All-Australian side and is quick on the lead and strong overhead.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge," he said.

"West Coast is a great club and, hopefully, I can squeeze into the team."

crowie said:

Thats for the update. From what he has said he seems geniunely happy about coming West. Sounds like a bloke of real character. I think he might be a good leader down the track.

Apart from the fact that he took my mate's spot in Central's 2004 premiership side...I think he's a good bloke.

Disciplined and very long kicking.
Strong and well developed for his age.
Not the most fleet footed player though.

Comes from a very good sporting family.
His father 'Bunga' played 140 games for Centrals.
I think his mother was a very good netballer.
While grandfather Brian is the Mayor of the Barossa District Council
and played state cricket as a fast bowler.

You guys should like him.

358826aj.jpg

He looks older than he is.

Like Judd.. ;)

Black JuJu said:
358826aj.jpg

He looks older than he is.

Like Judd.. ;)

Thats interesting because I remember reading an article about a gene that caused early physical development/ageing which also lended itself to outstanding athleticism. Might be something in it. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

coasting said:
Thats interesting because I remember reading an article about a gene that caused early physical development/ageing which also lended itself to outstanding athleticism. Might be something in it. ;)

Is that the article from the US, talking bout the basketballer???

I think Hurns size has alot to do with his cricketing background, the fact he lives on a farm and the fact he hasnt done a footy pre season, he isnt fat, he looks more strong then anything.

F-U said:
Is that the article from the US, talking bout the basketballer???

I think Hurns size has alot to do with his cricketing background, the fact he lives on a farm and the fact he hasnt done a footy pre season, he isnt fat, he looks more strong then anything.

Actually it was an American article about the research being done in Australia in this particular area. Apparently we are quite at the forefront in this kind of thing. The research was mainly about linking certain genes with certain sports. For example if you had a certain gene you would be a good soccer player and if you had another gene a good shot-putter or whatever. Some clubs wanted to bring in DNA testing a few years ago but the AFL said no.

I'm pretty happy with this pick up.

From what i've been told he was expedcted to go top 10, possibly even top (don't know how accurate that is). So to snare him at 13/14 (can't remember our pick) is very good.

We havent got Woey Embley.

I see Hurn being a green with a better kick. Same mark of the ball, not much foot speed, infact green is faster. And Hurn cannot play midfield while Green can.

Green > Hurn.

F/D said:

I see Hurn being a green with a better kick. Same mark of the ball, not much foot speed, infact green is faster. And Hurn cannot play midfield while Green can.

Green > Hurn.

you've been following Green a lot over the journey ey :thumbsu:

F/D said:

Green > Hurn.

Nice try troll boy.

Hurn has the footy nous, leadership, kicking ability and consistency of performance which Green lacks. Green will be good on occasions but he will have brain freezes which will cost. Quality sides competing for a premiership cannot afford players like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back