I coulda been a contender

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I'd start up a thread where we share our sports war stories, reliving our glory days and not-so-special moments. A kind of personal Down Memory Lane forum.

Growing up, I loved my sport. I played everything under the sun.

I would have loved to become a professional sportsman, but I was too short to be elite at anything other than being a jockey. And these days I'm too heavy to even do that.....

I was an ok middle-order batsman, I was a competitive middle-distance runner and at one point became quite good at table tennis (my best friend at high school got me into it, he eventually played at the Olympics). But what I really wished to play was footy.

Somehow I made the school footy team one year, despite a kicking action that could only be described as Travis Cloke kicking for goal. With Levi Casboult sitting on his head. And John Butcher whispering advice in his ear. (would that be worse than Travis currently?)

To try and make up for that, I would will myself to every contest and threw myself at the ball with abandon. A kind of untalented teenage love child of Ed Curnow and Tony Liberatore.

Anyway, with no kicking skills to speak of (still to this day), I didn't get picked many weeks. And when I did, I spent most of the time on the bench (rightly so!).

One week the coach was sick, so the bus driver took coaching duties for the day. He knew my name, so started me as rover. We were getting thumped, but I got my hands on the ball quite a bit. Knowing my limitations, as soon as I got the ball, I handpassed it off to the first teammate I could find. I just wanted to keep possession for the team and save myself the embarrassment.

We went into the HT break down by about 12 goals. The 'coach' gathers us around and starts giving us hell. NO ONE is trying! NO ONE is making an effort! Worst of all, NO ONE IS LEADING! FERRIS* got his hands on the ball 20 BLOODY TIMES in the half and hasn't had a single kick because NO ONE is giving him an option. HELP HIM OUT. HE IS KEEPING YOU IN THIS CONTEST! I WANT MORE PLAYERS LIKE FERRIS!

Little did he know that I was too scared to kick the f'ing thing. I could feel all my teammates giving me stink-eye - they're all getting yelled at coz I kick like a drunk woman, in high heels, with her eyes closed. On a skateboard. Falling backwards.

I got a bunch more touches in the 2nd half, but think I ended up with 0 kicks and 30 handpasses. Plus a stack of tackles and I guess a number of clearances. Once the coach came back, I didn't play much more after that...

Anyway, the memory of this match always makes smile. Not my greatest sporting moment, but one that sticks in my mind more than my (limited) successes.

Feel free to share your own stories - footy or otherwise.

I was a contender but that's another story.

Being a person of mixed ethnicity I inherited the Italian features of black hair, olive skin and Roman nose. Unlike ferrisb I could handle a football and was subjected to a little extra attention as a result. A common tactic was a bit of racial vilification which didn't have too much effect as being Australian born raised in a very Australian family I sometimes wondered if it was me they were calling a wog or a dago. I'd have to double check just to make sure I was the subject of the abuse. The best sledge directed at me and I knew it was me because he referred to the number on my back. In a thick Scottish accent the opponent screamed "You're nothing but a ******* wog thirty four". The funniest sledge I ever received on a footy field. God bless him.

I was a competitive swimmer as a junior and that gave me an advantage on the footy field as I was fitter and stronger than most other players. Played my last junior game at 14yo with 3 votes in the B&F. Turned off footy because the coach was a player's Dad and both he and his son were total dicks. Didn't pull the boots on again until my 20's but never took playing seriously again. Grew up in a Carlton recruiting zone, oh what could have been.

Played footy early on but was just no good. Gave up by under 12's. Some mates of mine went on to play in the AFL.

Cricket was my sport. A couple of centuries as a junior and one in a winning GF was the highlight. I also managed a hat trick with the ball one year. Grog and women saw the end of my cricket at the age of 16. Came back at around 21 years old and played turf for a few years but I had lost interest by then.

I still play off single figures as a golfer but am way past my best.

Just stumbled on this thread..
Played footy till around the age of 19 or 20 but cricket was my game. Played a few games at District level but was turned off by the cliques and self-serving flogs that were supposed to be team-mates. Played a season in English minor counties and had the greatest time of my life! Had grandiose plans of spending my whole time alternating between Oz and England playing cricket but met my first wife at The Anglers Tavern and those plans were shattered:cool:.
Anyway, had an awesome time at my club playing in nearly 300 games, being Captain and later on President.(and 7 Premierships.) Made lifelong mates and wouldn't change a thing.
I played till I was 46 and would still be playing but at 48, find myself crippled by Rheumatoid Arthritis and can barely walk some days.. but I still have my memories!!!:thumbsu:

could have been....I still am
150608_Ironman-logo.jpg

I'm 31 now and every now and again I think about how I might have been a chance to go somewhere with my sport - either cricket or football. I've always been tall (now stand about 195cm) and have been extremely competitive, but also someone who lacked self confidence as a youngster - daddy issues strikes again!

If I had the encouragement and support I needed I think I could have played at a decent level. It's funny I found this thread now as I was just cruising Facebook earlier and saw my cousin congratulating his son for winning an U14s B&F, saying "I'm so proud to be your dad, not because you won, but because you worked so hard and never give up". Almost brought a tear to my eye to be honest. Made me think of when I won second in shotput for inter-school comp and my old man's response was "Oh, so you aren't the strongest". LOL WTF hey? Makes me laugh in hindsight but not a happy laugh I guess.

Pulled on the boots when I was about 28 after being sick of seeing Carlton play like s**t and wanted to win something with football. First game of senior football ever (and first in at least 14 years) after the season had already started and I win BOG in the ruck of all places lol. Copped a few injuries and only managed around 10 games but gee it was fun. Thinking about getting into umpiring to stay involved in sport and keep fit. After being in the army full time for so long and now going to uni to study, I'm starting to "spread" around the middle and need to get active again!

Not sure any of that was really relevant but it made me feel better!

I'm 31 now and every now and again I think about how I might have been a chance to go somewhere with my sport - either cricket or football. I've always been tall (now stand about 195cm) and have been extremely competitive, but also someone who lacked self confidence as a youngster - daddy issues strikes again!

If I had the encouragement and support I needed I think I could have played at a decent level. It's funny I found this thread now as I was just cruising Facebook earlier and saw my cousin congratulating his son for winning an U14s B&F, saying "I'm so proud to be your dad, not because you won, but because you worked so hard and never give up". Almost brought a tear to my eye to be honest. Made me think of when I won second in shotput for inter-school comp and my old man's response was "Oh, so you aren't the strongest". LOL WTF hey? Makes me laugh in hindsight but not a happy laugh I guess.

Pulled on the boots when I was about 28 after being sick of seeing Carlton play like s**t and wanted to win something with football. First game of senior football ever (and first in at least 14 years) after the season had already started and I win BOG in the ruck of all places lol. Copped a few injuries and only managed around 10 games but gee it was fun. Thinking about getting into umpiring to stay involved in sport and keep fit. After being in the army full time for so long and now going to uni to study, I'm starting to "spread" around the middle and need to get active again!

Not sure any of that was really relevant but it made me feel better!

Thanks for sharing that Shandog! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh ShanDog, I feel ya!
Papa H always told me "second is the first of the losers" and "if you're not first, you're last".
Yeah not real great for youngsters trying to find their way in life! I guess some people are motivated like that, but as a parent you should really know what makes your kid tick and encourage them the way they need it. At least we know how not to do it for our kids!

Speaking of that Mebbie.... ??? :p Had to do it.

Yeah not real great for youngsters trying to find their way in life! I guess some people are motivated like that, but as a parent you should really know what makes your kid tick and encourage them the way they need it. At least we know how not to do it for our kids!

Speaking of that Mebbie.... ??? :p Had to do it.
I was quite lucky that my old man would leave me to it when I played sport and would always offer a couple of tips where I could improve and congratulate me on a couple of things I did well but always after the game. He never went overboard with praise but on the flip side never said I had a bad game or anything like that. He played sport at a pretty high level so he knew what he was doing.

My mum on the other hand thought I was always the best player each week...like most mums.

I now coach 18-20yo's in footy and there are still parents that come up to the kids at half time or qtr time and try to give them advice. It can be really hard for both players and as a coach as I am trying to get one message across but that me conflicting with what the parent is telling them. We have had to ban parents from the rooms at half time.

I was quite lucky that my old man would leave me to it when I played sport and would always offer a couple of tips where I could improve and congratulate me on a couple of things I did well but always after the game. He never went overboard with praise but on the flip side never said I had a bad game or anything like that. He played sport at a pretty high level so he knew what he was doing.

My mum on the other hand thought I was always the best player each week...like most mums.

I now coach 18-20yo's in footy and there are still parents that come up to the kids at half time or qtr time and try to give them advice. It can be really hard for both players and as a coach as I am trying to get one message across but that me conflicting with what the parent is telling them. We have had to ban parents from the rooms at half time.
I imagine that coaching scenario would be really tough to deal with sometimes. I watch my brother in law play footy some weekend's and talk to him about his game a bit. Have to keep myself in check from doing the same thing during games.

I imagine that coaching scenario would be really tough to deal with sometimes. I watch my brother in law play footy some weekend's and talk to him about his game a bit. Have to keep myself in check from doing the same thing during games.
Yeah it can be difficult, the kids are coming out of playing juniors where the majority of parents have been around their sons teams for a long time. Now their sons are adults and need a bit of space.

On the flip side its great that their parents are still involved and willing to watch their kids play sport.

I will add to this in that I actually view sport that way myself (if you're not first, you're last). I'd never push that on a kid though. It's just how I personally see it.
That's the thing - I reckon an attitude like that can be held ONCE you have support and confidence. Sending that message to a developing child or teen who instead needs positive reinforcement is a good way of shattering their self esteem. Sometimes parents don't understand this.

I yell advice at the Carlton players in each of the breaks, during and after the game.

They rarely - if ever - seem to be listening...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back