IC17 2017 AFL International Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

The salary of the AFL funded general manager of AFL Europe is 35,000 pounds. AFL Europe revenue in 2014 was 160,000 pounds. When they only charge member associations 100 pounds to join I would think most of this other money comes from the AFL and a little bit from sponsors. Most of that money is spent on admin 95,000, then the rest goes to running events, coaching and umpiring courses, grants to start up clubs for equipment and grants to clubs for install goal posts.
Putting these $ figures into context, IIRC does the AFL pay c. $500,000 to some individual foreign music acts to sing at the GF?

The salary of the AFL funded general manager of AFL Europe is 35,000 pounds. AFL Europe revenue in 2014 was 160,000 pounds. When they only charge member associations 100 pounds to join I would think most of this other money comes from the AFL and a little bit from sponsors. Most of that money is spent on admin 95,000, then the rest goes to running events, coaching and umpiring courses, grants to start up clubs for equipment and grants to clubs for install goal posts.

Yes, that's Europe. Modest investment in Europe has produced definite results for Europe as a whole.
There have been some great developments in Europe due to the efforts of individual countries.
The question remains - why the USA in particular ?
I'm all for more investments and can point to numerous projects that deserve funding.
What is the USA going to be able to leverage.

The AFL fund full time position in the CEO of AFL Europe and a full time development officer in China.
AFL Europe has a a funded officer because of the need for coordination between countries in order for Europe to really `work`. So the prime driver is the creation and coordination of the various comps between countries, and between clubs from different countries. It would be difficult for the various completely amateur national organisations to do this to any where near the same extent. The same need does not exist in the US.

The AFL fund full time position in the CEO of AFL Europe and a full time development officer in China.

Indonesia has an AFL funded development officer as well.

AFL funding is also handed to New Zealand (along with support from Hawthorn) India is funded by the Australian Sports Commission (Richmond have supplied additional assistance) and New Guinea is funded through Ausaid - South Africa was/is as well I believe.

Well Well lots of Interesting figures being revealed on here by various people. A clearer picture emerging of AFL funding overseas, which appears to be increasing bit by bit, but still too much secrecy involved, and the amounts are small in a Huge TV deal they are playing with
The Gaelic Athletic Association have a different approach with I would say far less funding available than AFL House.
We were told several years ago that they place importance on funding Development Officers wherever needed. Here is their method.
http://www.gaa.ie/news/applications-for-global-games-development-fund-2017-now-open/
Of course it would cover Football and Hurling and other activities.

Really enjoying the Streaming Coverage of the games. Some fans cannot access the streaming- ADOBE FLASH is required in some instances and Chrome and Firefox has now accessed that reluctantly.

I went to IC today. Windy, early games also affected by steady showers.

. Massive improvement in Chinese team cf.2014. They have Pt Adelaide branding, are fit, quick & strong, kick well. Defeated the Croatian giants by 1 point ;probably helped by greasy ball - showers initially, nullifying big Croatian weight/height/marking advantage.

. Fijian women impressive -lost on Golden Point to Canada. Standard just ok, greasy ball obviously didn't help. Fijians battered the Canadians.

.Ireland women won comfortably against USA. Wind didn't help conditions, ball still probably a bit wet. Standard just fair, not a lot of linking up.

. Pakistan women are mainly ex-Pakistan national soccer team, didnt score -thrashed by 142 points.
AFL should not allow such mismatches,female AF just started recently in Pakistan. Pakistani women could get hurt.

.Mens USA comfortable winners over Canada, after half time a bit too classy -good standard game, fiercely fought. USA appears to have improved, & perhaps Canada also

. Advised Sth Africa GR AF numbers are down cf. to past. Told reasons for this are "complicated", person seemed reluctant to elaborate.
Britain have improved.

.Ireland men too tall for speedy PNG (c.10 PNG players have played in Aust.)-good standard game.

Last edited:
A clearer picture emerging of AFL funding overseas,

Well as I have so many times, investment depends on the individual situation.
It's not secretive at all. It does vary immensely depending on the situation.

the amounts are small in a Huge TV deal they are playing with

Not all, but yes w.r.t. organic growth areas.

The Gaelic Athletic Association have a different approach.

Talking to an Irish native at Government House the GAA are totally ineffective.
They don't pay their players and they don't target outside the Irish community.

Strange. I went to IC17 and it was cold and fine. It drizzled for one quarter and didn't affect the games at all.
Players & ball (& me!) got very wet during the rain, about midday.
Ground remains wet after rain ceases, causes a slippery ball -affects handling, as did wind. Dried out for later games.

Also, I am concerned for the Pakistani Women -re their safety; & floggings don't help them or their opponents. The Canadian women were in a very bruising match against the Fijians.

Players & ball (& me!) got very wet during the rain, about midday.

Yes, and it didn't affect earlier or later games which to me was surprising.
The IC17 has seen yet another rise in standard with some great games. I don't see you mentioning about them.
The Fiji Vonu came so close to defeating Canada Northern Lights by sheer pressure.
Not once were the Canadians allowed to use their skills which are a lot higher than 2014
but obviously nobody knows except those involved with the team.
Plenty of super tough games around. Fiji tribe had a bruising encounter with France Coqs.
Though eventually well beaten France's goals came through good play.
One aspect of the games this time is that height matters and in an event that is a
campaign over two weeks that is only going get to be more prevalent.

I'm concerned that you seem to hanging around the women's games.
That's understandable in the Vonu vs Canada game as the oval was ringed with spectators
glimpsing an epic battle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well as I have so many times, investment depends on the individual situation.
It's not secretive at all. It does vary immensely depending on the situation.

Not all, but yes w.r.t. organic growth areas.

Talking to an Irish native at Government House the GAA are totally ineffective.
They don't pay their players and they don't target outside the Irish community.

I was aware of the GAA Amateur stance etc but thought that the calling for development applications was another slant on the methods used by some Sports groups.

Last edited:
Yes, and it didn't affect earlier or later games which to me was surprising.
The IC17 has seen yet another rise in standard with some great games. I don't see you mentioning about them.
The Fiji Vonu came so close to defeating Canada Northern Lights by sheer pressure.
Not once were the Canadians allowed to use their skills which are a lot higher than 2014
but obviously nobody knows except those involved with the team.
Plenty of super tough games around. Fiji tribe had a bruising encounter with France Coqs.
Though eventually well beaten France's goals came through good play.
One aspect of the games this time is that height matters and in an event that is a
campaign over two weeks that is only going get to be more prevalent.

I'm concerned that you seem to hanging around the women's games.
That's understandable in the Vonu vs Canada game as the oval was ringed with spectators
glimpsing an epic battle.
I'm a big fan of the IC, & believe it should be promoted in Vic. MUCH more highly. I was told the Parade of Nations was done c. 45 mins. before the main AFL game, virtually no one there -pathetic. Why not at half time, & have Auskick before the game.
IC games are generally very entertaining -standard ranges from relatively high to low (& conditions, of course, can have an impact. On a windy day, inexp. players often don't lower their ball drop, which effects kicking proficiency).

I said:-
."massive improvement in the Chinese team cf.2014"; "big Croatian weight/height/marking advantage". This implies, as they only lost to the massively improved Chinese by 1 point, I expect the Croatians to play well, & be strong competitors in the IC (In fact, both nations are probably fairly competitive with the Div. 1 nations - a major advance for the IC).
."Fijian women impressive".
."USA appears to have improved, perhaps Canada also. Good standard game, fiercely fought".
.Ireland v PNG "good standard game".
." Britain have improved".

I spent little time watching Pakistan women v. Britain...don't enjoy watching any team, in any comp., TOTALLY outclassing another. I spent about half my time watching men's & women's games.

I said "The Fijians battered the Canadians"; & "the Pakistani women are ex Pakistani national soccer team...Female AF just started recently in Pakistan". I suspect the Fijian women may be ex rugby players. You didn't respond to my comments about the Pakistan women's team -the likely floggings, & safety aspects. Valid concerns? Who should take responsibility?

Do you think Sth Africa has improved? Reasons?

You didn't respond to my comments

Because you seem to focus on non-events.

Did you even see the Fiji Vs Canada game ? It was fine. There was no greasy ball.
Are those comments of yours what you took out of the game ? Seriously ?
The underdog Vonu almost and probably should have taken the game from the reigning world champions Canada.
Nine minutes of locked scores where any single point would have won the game.
The oval was ringed with spectators on hearing of the potential upset.
That game was being streamed live to Canada by a VFL professional commentator.
I don't think you'd be asked to write up any of the games.

AFL Europe has a a funded officer .

To organize the various competitions but the overwhelming commitment is too improving umpiring and coaching.
There has been a quantum improvement in coaching and umpiring in a very short time across Europe.
There is not quite the same need for umpiring and coaching improvements in North America
but without doubt development officers would be welcomed.

There has been quantum improvements in the French, German, Croatian and British leagues
but most of those gains have been to due to the people within the leagues themselves.

Just got back from Royal Park and some ripper games of footy, none better than NZ vs Ireland... the Kiwis threatened to break the game open early but the Irish never let them get out to a huge lead before they themselves shifted up a gear and looked to have the game won. Cue one of the better late game comebacks I've seen in recent times and a final roll of the dice giving the Kiwis a free kick 25 m out, straight in front with the margin at 2 points in Ireland's favour. NZ kicks truly after the siren to win by 4. As an added bonus, the result sent the PNG boys on the boundary into hysterics (an Irish win would have kicked them out of the finals). So, so good.

Just got back from Royal Park and some ripper games of footy, none better than NZ vs Ireland... the Kiwis threatened to break the game open early but the Irish never let them get out to a huge lead before they themselves shifted up a gear and looked to have the game won. Cue one of the better late game comebacks I've seen in recent times and a final roll of the dice giving the Kiwis a free kick 25 m out, straight in front with the margin at 2 points in Ireland's favour. NZ kicks truly after the siren to win by 4. As an added bonus, the result sent the PNG boys on the boundary into hysterics (an Irish win would have kicked them out of the finals). So, so good.

In that last quarter the crowd looked pretty good.

Women's rankings after the semis:

WFN World Rankings (Women)

1. Australia

2. Canada 54.84 2 18

3. Ireland 49.67 4 21 +1

4. United States 44.81 5 18 +1

5. Great Britain 43.79 2 11 -2

6. Fiji 42.95 7 9 +1

7. Canada “B” 42.60 6 8 -1

8. Papua New Guinea 38.78 8 9 -

9. European Crusaders 33.04 Prov 8 -

what happened to South Africa? did their skill level go down or did they just have a temporary slump? i think the same question could be asked of Britain.

i think the team that shocked me the most is Sri Lanka, it looks like they have good potential and already outplay other countries from their region.

what happened to South Africa? did their skill level go down or did they just have a temporary slump? i think the same question could be asked of Britain.

i think the team that shocked me the most is Sri Lanka, it looks like they have good potential and already outplay other countries from their region.
The British guys (and women) were really happy with their performance this year. 6th place finish for GB is their equal highest and best since 2005. The game in the UK is going fairly strong with continued growth especially outside of London.
I think the numbers of people playing in South Africa has dropped quite a lot in recent years. There is very little info coming out of SA anymore and even the AFL South Africa website has been down for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back