If the State game v Queensland was tomorrow...

Remove this Banner Ad

Rucks: M Muir, K Hall, Z Murphy

B- S O'Keefe G. Sharman J. Wells
HB- K. Heazlewood B Savage C Thurley
C-J. Bowring S Stephens N. Street
HF-J. Bowden Z. Gardham M Drury
F-B. Geappen M Cassidy D. Crawford

interchange- S wager, J howe, B Finch, J Siggins

Not a bad side, but lacking a bit of zip through the midfield and up forward. Probably only genuine leg speed would be wager and o'keefe and maybe street.

S. Whitelaw from Clarence would have to be a chance to come into this side, probably as a half back. Stringing together some high possession games in his return season

What about Matt Viney from North, not a big name but has taken some scalps this season, and gets plenty of it. They pick the same old names every year. How about rewarding blokes who are playing good footy. Thats the way it should be!

O'Brien Wells Murphy
S.Whitelaw Savage Green
Bowden Thurley Bowring
Stephens Drury Crawford
Geappen Cassidy A.Viney

Muir
Street
Hall

Miar Wager DiVenuto Finch
Other possibility include blight for a 3rd tall defender

O'Brien Wells Murphy
S.Whitelaw Savage Green
Bowden Thurley Bowring
Stephens Drury Crawford
Geappen Cassidy A.Viney

Muir
Street
Hall

Miar Wager DiVenuto Finch
Other possibility include blight for a 3rd tall defender

Wells inj hammy, Bowring slow? Drury at CHF over Cassidy?? and Muir broken arm? Divenuto also inj cloud and Miar?? ok at this level but not sure he could be a damaging enough player at state level. One guy whom I have seen a bit of over last few weeks who didn't make the squad but could have is Cleary from Hobart, hasn't been beaten in the ruck in last 4 games, is like another ruck rover when the ball hits the ground and pushes forward and kicks goals, is deceptivley tall with a very long reach. Not saying he would have made the final cut but surely a better option than Miar?

Wells inj hammy, Bowring slow? Drury at CHF over Cassidy?? and Muir broken arm? Divenuto also inj cloud and Miar?? ok at this level but not sure he could be a damaging enough player at state level. One guy whom I have seen a bit of over last few weeks who didn't make the squad but could have is Cleary from Hobart, hasn't been beaten in the ruck in last 4 games, is like another ruck rover when the ball hits the ground and pushes forward and kicks goals, is deceptivley tall with a very long reach. Not saying he would have made the final cut but surely a better option than Miar?

The game is still 4 weeks away, you would think most of those injury clouds should be cleared up in that time. Miar is a good athlete and by the looks of the QLD team they are going to have tall guys that can ruck well. There is not a quality tall ruckman in the state, but Miar can jump and tap the ball reasonbly well. Will have no influence around ground, however. I have seen cleary a couple of times and no offence but he is overweight and, at this stage, is not up to playing against the likes of jeff white. Plus i question his fitness.

The game is still 4 weeks away, you would think most of those injury clouds should be cleared up in that time. Miar is a good athlete and by the looks of the QLD team they are going to have tall guys that can ruck well. There is not a quality tall ruckman in the state, but Miar can jump and tap the ball reasonbly well. Will have no influence around ground, however. I have seen cleary a couple of times and no offence but he is overweight and, at this stage, is not up to playing against the likes of jeff white. Plus i question his fitness.

Your joking about cleary, no where good enough.

White isnt even playing in qld this year!!!!!!!

miar would be the go, only has to win the hit-up then tag the opp ruckman.

I have seen cleary a couple of times and no offence but he is overweight and, at this stage, is not up to playing against the likes of jeff white. Plus i question his fitness.

Not sure who you think Cleary is? I believe you are talking about Willing or Cleary's brother at Hutchins. Matt Cleary is approx 195cm's and around 90Kgs and hasn't got an ounce of fat on him, you may be right about his fitness but my point was he probably should have been in the squad when it was first selected not that he should neccesarily play!

Your joking about cleary, no where good enough.

If he's no where near good enough to be in the squad then there isn't a decent player over 6 foot tall in the TSL:confused: Cleary can play, only did the post christmas pre season due to personal issues I am told and holds his own in the ruck for sure, I haven't seen him beaten yet this season, mind you he hasn't taken on Miar yet but would kill Miar around the ground, he is a lot better than you believe and as I stated surely worthy of spot in initial squad!

If he's no where near good enough to be in the squad then there isn't a decent player over 6 foot tall in the TSL:confused: Cleary can play, only did the post christmas pre season due to personal issues I am told and holds his own in the ruck for sure, I haven't seen him beaten yet this season, mind you he hasn't taken on Miar yet but would kill Miar around the ground, he is a lot better than you believe and as I stated surely worthy of spot in initial squad!

Cleary is an average player at best. No where near good enough to ever be selected in a state side.

Cleary has age on his side. I'm not sure what attributes he brings to a team tho.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whats the average age of the squad seems quite experienced. would have been good to give some more youth a go you never know could be another webberley out there.

Cleary is an average player at best. No where near good enough to ever be selected in a state side.

notched Spencer on his belt for 2nd time this year and went forward to kick goals again, but clearly an average player, not in the same league as Miar:eek: oh yeh that's right, at least Cleary made it to recovery on bellerive Beach Sunday morning, more than can be said for Miar:rolleyes:

I read in the Mercury today that Brett Geappen's out.
Fell awkwardly in the last quarter going for a mark on Saturday, didn't look good at all when he landed.
Went straight off and got sent to the hossie straight after the game and was complaining of pins and needles in the arms etc.
So he won't be taking his place.

I don't imagine a thread is going to be started on the result of this game...it's best forgotten.

Tasmania were thrashed everywhere, but I gotta say a couple of the Queenslanders were awesome. They had a big duo up forward in Cleve Hughes and another guy called Cameron McLaren, and they put on a big marking show in the 3rd quarter...some of the best you'll ever see. I recorded the 4th quarter on video camera - should have done the 3rd instead. In the last quarter, Nathan Gilliland must have racked up an Ablett-esque possession count...right across the board, after the first early burst from Tassie, it was all Qld...most of our boys were sorely embarassed (Cameron Blight surely has played his last game for Tassie), and the options kicking out from fullback were zero...time and time again, desperate kick out to the back pocket, and then right back into the goal square...this happened all day...about 1000 people showed up, all jammed into the social club of Sharks, with cars ringing the boundary...beats me why they can't play this game as a curtain raiser to the Lions...

Lets look at it literally.

ARE WE SURPRISED BY THIS RESULT?.
Must admit, I was surprised it wasn't held as a Lions curtain raiser at the Gabba instead of that paddock it was held at in front of about two dozen cars.

It was a bad day but, let's look at the facts - Tasmania hasn't won a game interstate since 1984 up at Erskineville Oval in Sydney.
We can keep going on day and night about 1960 at York Park and 1990 at North Hobart, 1970 against Polly Farmer's WA at North Hobart and the wins against the SANFL and WAFL in the late-90's at North Hobart (great wins I grant you) but, at the end of the day, we'll never head in the direction befitting a traditional football state (being a part of the AFL) if we can't win interstate, and we haven't for 26 years.

It's that simple. Mind you, if we weren't handed the drippings off the AFL's noses every year and were properly funded like certain other states, things might turn around very quickly.
Bit hard to fight with one hand tied behind your back ALL the time, but then again, it's pretty clear the AFL's not interested in the general health of the sport here, only interested in pinching our players out of the system once they look like they could be something.

Not an unsurprising result at all - Since Tasmania's two wins in Canberra and Sydney in 1955 it has won a grand total of five games interstate since then.

5 wins interstate in 55 years.

In fact, it was our poor record at Interstate level that was the catalyst for the Winfield Statewide Cup being brought in in 1980 as a trial for an eventual Statewide League planned for 1982 which was shelved because of disagreements from the NTFA and NWFU over it, it was back on the cards after Tasmania's thrashing by the same Queensland team in 1985 that saw the competition eventually founded in 1986.
Talks about a Statewide League, to increase the playing standard in Tasmanian football had been ongoing since 1972 after Tasmania's diabolical display at the '72 Carnival.
And how many games have we won outside of Tasmania since moving to a Statewide format? Zilch.
Maybe we just don't play interstate enough for it to be 'normal' for our teams to perform away and we most certainly are nowhere near well funded enough.
Having heart is one thing, Tassie's always had that, but when you're generally not on a level playing field you're always gonna be punching well above your weight.

Tasmania's wins interstate since 1956:
(1963)
Tasmania 9.10 (64) v Western Australia 6.13 (49) at Subiaco Oval, Perth.

(Sunday, 12 April 1981)
Tasmania 13.18 (96) v Queensland 12.8 (80) at Chelmer Oval, Brisbane.

(Sunday, 6 June 1982)
Tasmania 18.10 (118) v Queensland 14.19 (103) at Chelmer Oval, Brisbane.

(Sunday, 17 April 1983)
Tasmania 15.24 (114) v ACT 15.9 (99) at Manuka Oval, Canberra.

(Sunday, 20 May 1984)
Tasmania 14.10 (94) v New South Wales 11.7 (73) at Erskineville Oval, Sydney.

Lets look at it literally.

ARE WE SURPRISED BY THIS RESULT?.
Must admit, I was surprised it wasn't held as a Lions curtain raiser at the Gabba instead of that paddock it was held at in front of about two dozen cars.

.[/FONT]

We have NO hope of competing with other states. Quite clearly we are the dead end of football. And why not. We have been sucked dry for years & years by the AFL. Hawthorn, other AFL cashed up competitions & our own AFLTas who run this TSL circus. The clubs have been left to rot while the administrators play games with the structure of footy & the clubs themselves. We will continue to decline until the AFL show the same repect to us as they do to every other state. By not being allowed into the AFL, their will be no real development in our football, we will continue to fall behind. Both Qld & NSW are soon to have two AFL teams. Their club structures will feed of that professional level of footy. Availability of professionally experienced players & coaches will give a further boost to their local footy. Our local media & politicians jump up & down over AFL in L'ton & the 'chance' of some AFL footy in Hobart. It does absolutely nothing for our local game. Lets face it, the AFL dont care about Tasmania, our politicians dont care about our local game, the media are the same. Them's the facts. Forget state games they are just an embarrassment to us & our pathetic situation. AFLTasmania & our politicians should hang their heads in shame. But of course its not their responsibility.

We have NO hope of competing with other states. Quite clearly we are the dead end of football. And why not. We have been sucked dry for years & years by the AFL. Hawthorn, other AFL cashed up competitions & our own AFLTas who run this TSL circus. The clubs have been left to rot while the administrators play games with the structure of footy & the clubs themselves. We will continue to decline until the AFL show the same repect to us as they do to every other state. By not being allowed into the AFL, their will be no real development in our football, we will continue to fall behind. Both Qld & NSW are soon to have two AFL teams. Their club structures will feed of that professional level of footy. Availability of professionally experienced players & coaches will give a further boost to their local footy. Our local media & politicians jump up & down over AFL in L'ton & the 'chance' of some AFL footy in Hobart. It does absolutely nothing for our local game. Lets face it, the AFL dont care about Tasmania, our politicians dont care about our local game, the media are the same. Them's the facts. Forget state games they are just an embarrassment to us & our pathetic situation. AFLTasmania & our politicians should hang their heads in shame. But of course its not their responsibility.

If the state game was tomorrow would we have been able to pick a better side in hind sight or was that the best we have got that went to Qland. How will the SWL improve if we rid clubs of the reserves. Question. Does the QAFL have a reserve comp that backs up their senior counterparts. If Tassy had come away with a victory Wade and co would be sprouting that the SWL is working. Obviously its not. Take away the reserves and it will only go backwards even more. Changes have to be made and it has to start at the top.

Vin Ponsonby should of got a game, he could come off the bench and play anywhere, he cpuld of given tassie a spark when needed. Not saying he could of turned around nthe result but he would of given us a better chance

Let me tell you now guys - Tassie didn't turn up. For all the talk in recent years of "pride in playing for the map" and so forth, I did make a concerned comment to the wife as we watched Cameron Blight and Jesse Wells stroll so casually to their position at the start, they were still on 50 when the first ball was bounced! Bad signs...

I've watched South Launceston during the bad old days in the 90's get smashed by 150 points and put up a bigger fight than this...and tactically, they were out of ideas after the first quarter. I ran out of fingers and toes counting the number of times the ball was kicked out from FB to the back pocket, usually left, because there was nothing happening in the corridor...the slowness in executing this, though, saw that ball repeatedly in dispute by the time it got to 50 at best, and invariably come back...

And the opposition - plenty of Vic recruits, and two big guns up forward who were far superior footballers than anyone in the Tasmanian side. The marking in the 3rd quarter was absolutely sensational from Hughes and McLaren. There's a bunch of ex-Devils running around last Saturday who just weren't up to it. A reserves comp isn't going to fix this! None of the players for Qld are reserves players, and many probably have never played that standard in Qld - straight from the Vics to the AFLQ!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back