If the State game v Queensland was tomorrow...

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me tell you now guys - Tassie didn't turn up. For all the talk in recent years of "pride in playing for the map" and so forth, I did make a concerned comment to the wife as we watched Cameron Blight and Jesse Wells stroll so casually to their position at the start, they were still on 50 when the first ball was bounced! Bad signs...

I've watched South Launceston during the bad old days in the 90's get smashed by 150 points and put up a bigger fight than this...and tactically, they were out of ideas after the first quarter. I ran out of fingers and toes counting the number of times the ball was kicked out from FB to the back pocket, usually left, because there was nothing happening in the corridor...the slowness in executing this, though, saw that ball repeatedly in dispute by the time it got to 50 at best, and invariably come back...

And the opposition - plenty of Vic recruits, and two big guns up forward who were far superior footballers than anyone in the Tasmanian side. The marking in the 3rd quarter was absolutely sensational from Hughes and McLaren. There's a bunch of ex-Devils running around last Saturday who just weren't up to it. A reserves comp isn't going to fix this! None of the players for Qld are reserves players, and many probably have never played that standard in Qld - straight from the Vics to the AFLQ!
From what i have heard the tassie boys spent something like 6.5 hrs travelling to get to the GC on the friday, then play on the Saturday. It would take a pretty speacial team to get up and play well after all that. Your not going to win many games of football travelling interstate when you leave the day before the game, most afl clubs would leave on a wed or thurs for a weekend game interstate. Its probably one reason why tassie have not won intersate for 30 yrs

Vin Ponsonby should of got a game, he could come off the bench and play anywhere, he cpuld of given tassie a spark when needed. Not saying he could of turned around nthe result but he would of given us a better chance
yep they picked too many old fellers...vinny should have got a game.

Excuses. Travelling to WA, sure, there's a time difference. But Qld is a nothing trip, even the day before. It was warm but nothing excessive, and these guys in many cases have a fair degree of experience in getting on a plane (Devils) or getting in a car and driving to the other end of the state. They just played badly. It's got nothing to do with plane flights, reserves comps, Clarence allegiances or Gold Coast water...we just sucked! And I refuse to believe next year we'd allow it to happen again - if it did, then those other reasons might hold water...but right now, no way...

A reserves comp isn't going to fix this! None of the players for Qld are reserves players, and many probably have never played that standard in Qld - straight from the Vics to the AFLQ!

Please explain, were these QLD players born superstars and senior footballers;)

Just about every footballer, or any sportsperson for that matter comes through the ranks to become a senior player/competitor. Not having a reserves competition at regional or state level is inherently stupid.

Yes Tassie having a reserves comp would not make a huge difference to the result of this game however to have a senior competition there needs to be clubs, clubs are made up of people! players, volunteers, administrators and supporters. If the reserves are dropped clubs will lose 2/3rd's of the people whom are not players, if you think I'm wrong go do your sums, ask the clubs and they will support my comments. If no reserves exist in some capacity most clubs will go to the wall financially, AFL Tas personnel will also be out of a job as a result with no competition to be funded for no reason for them to exist. These guys are fools, ex footballers who fell into their jobs through the mate system and are well and truely out of their depth. I would shelve state footy until the TSL is strong again because the team embarrassed the state in a football sense, many of the players and coaches need to look at themselves long and hard about what they want from state footy, I suspect for many it was a trip to a warmer climate in the middle of winter for a bit of footy and a lot of drinking, to which I am told was particulalry well done by our boys, pity their intensity wasn't as high for their playing as their drinking!

Just about every footballer, or any sportsperson for that matter comes through the ranks to become a senior player/competitor. Not having a reserves competition at regional or state level is inherently stupid.

Yes Tassie having a reserves comp would not make a huge difference to the result of this game however to have a senior competition there needs to be clubs, clubs are made up of people! players, volunteers, administrators and supporters. If the reserves are dropped clubs will lose 2/3rd's of the people whom are not players, if you think I'm wrong go do your sums, ask the clubs and they will support my comments. If no reserves exist in some capacity most clubs will go to the wall financially, AFL Tas personnel will also be out of a job as a result with no competition to be funded for no reason for them to exist. These guys are fools, ex footballers who fell into their jobs through the mate system and are well and truely out of their depth. I would shelve state footy until the TSL is strong again because the team embarrassed the state in a football sense, many of the players and coaches need to look at themselves long and hard about what they want from state footy, I suspect for many it was a trip to a warmer climate in the middle of winter for a bit of footy and a lot of drinking, to which I am told was particulalry well done by our boys, pity their intensity wasn't as high for their playing as their drinking!

Well all i can say is if Cam Blight is in our best 22 players in the state we are well and truly stuffed!!!!!

What do you mean by the first sentence? If you're asking are they imports, well, I already told you they are. If you're asking are the born and bred Qlders "born superstars" or whatever, well, they beat the crap out of us didn't they?

I agree with the concept that the reserves build club numbers, never disputed it. But what are we building here? The TSL is supposed to be the elite comp, which means the best players and financial incentive for bothering with the travel (which I took the piss out of most of you as well as NHFC over in about February). Presently, you couldn't definitively point to either as being achieved, not when you've got a bundle of players declining the TSL, and you're not paying the players an equivalent wage to, oh let's say...QUEENSLAND!

Put in reserves at the expense of increased funding and the attraction of big names, and all you're doing is reorganising regional teams into different boxes. Sure, Launceston gets to play Clarence. But they also get to play Lauderdale! What's the difference between travelling there and to Wynyard...?

Look, without going further to turn this into the thesis I could have submitted at uni - we just played a state game against some promising juniors and some experienced non-AFL Vic recruits. Southport owns most of them, and they are an organisation far more professionally run than anything in Tassie, with a long history of attracting the big guns. Teams like Morningside and Mt Gravatt are established clubs with little opposition in recruitment from anyone, let alone the zillions of lower grade clubs Tassie has, including the NTFL and NTFA. The Lions play their reserves, and the NT has a rep side. The junior development programme is on a par with Tassie's, so that's all good, but where are the ex-VFL and suburban Vic stars the old TFL had in spades?

I read a lot of grizzling on this site because "your club" got an "unfair deal from Wade" because they "weren't Clarence". This mentality is the problem. You want to have a drink with your mates at your footy club, but you want everything to be part of a professionally run organisation. If Tasmanian football wants to put a Tasmanian home-grown side on the park and play mainlanders, they can keep doing what they're doing. I'd support them! If they want to win state games and create a TSL that's far and unquestionably superior to any other footy in the state (in the same way that Richmond would slaughter any non-AFL side in Australia, something the TSL can't boast with Lauderdale, South and possibly Burnie against the SFL or NTFL), then they need to be a cashed up franchise driven organisation with a support network in the lower grades that maintains their players, cuts unnecessary expenditure, and attracts mainlanders by paying them for their services (and let's face it - who wouldn't pick beachside cashed up Southport over a Tassie winter if the bucks couldn't decide otherwise?). This all sounds harsh and corporate, but we're Tassie - we aren't as affluent as WA and SA, and we don't have Qld's luxury of non-dilution of footy talent through low population and many many clubs...their Courier Mail Monday footy scores from the AFLQ to the suburban U-11's fill just a single column...if you play footy, most likely your team's got a direct affiliation with the AFLQ, not a hostile rivalry...

TSL Colts to keep the juniors in draft contention, reserves play in the SFL and NTFL, and the TSL pay the big teams bucketloads (through professionally run salary caps and constant hustling of big Andy for more cash - the AFL Team proposal swung him, but I don't see anything even close to that to say "please fund our footy") to bring in the stars who will hopefully bring punters through the gates, which you'd hope would then rival anything the wives and girlfriends and pissheads would bring to your club if there was a reserves comp. You want Cleve Hughes coming to Tassie and belting Qld, not the other way around. Clubs need money from non-senior standard players to keep the club afloat? Then what the f### was the business plan and justification for inclusion every team had to pass all about then in late 2008...? You need money - the TSL pays out and if you need more, you get it yourself! Harsh but true.

Clubs need money from non-senior standard players to keep the club afloat? Then what the f### was the business plan and justification for inclusion every team had to pass all about then in late 2008...? You need money - the TSL pays out and if you need more, you get it yourself! Harsh but true.

The TSL does what? Pays out? Ha Ha!!! I'm told the AFLTAS insists clubs operate in the black, fair enough, BUT I've been told that they keep all finals money, keep all sponsorship money, keep all draft fees, Keep all the $1.4 million AFL money, Now have forced the reserves out so favour elitism over community based footy that we've had for a hundred years (a structure which also had plenty of guys drafted).
So given your inference that money equals elitism (like at Southport), how the #### do clubs raise money to increase the salary & pay for professional services (fitness/ gyms, medical services, quality coaches etc, etc)?????
Not the AFL, thats for sure
And don't say poker bloody machines either.
No doubt without pokies & & AFL cash the QAFL would have stumped up a different team last week & would not have flown spies in to watch Tassie club footy, what a load of s**t.

I'll clarify, because it was a pretty long post and I was trying to cut bits here and there. I mean "they should", not "they do" (AFL Tas paying out)...

Obviously by your tone, you'd agree with that...

As for the "money=elitism" bit, I guess the point I was trying to make is that we're trying to play mainland states by Tasmanian rules. We have tons of clubs all at some stage referring to themselves as "senior", and clubs wishing to retain the traditional 3 team structures, but it's in a format that isn't funded to that degree, the TSL argues (you'll recall it was "Devils or Statewide, what do you want" when the money from the AFL was increased), and I think my points above are valid. Where is the incentive for anyone of national or even AFL quality to come here, and why would anyone leave the easy lifestyle of the NTFL/SFL to travel every third week...?

Mainland rules - you recruit far and wide. All the other states do it, every single one, and these are our opposition. Sure, nothing gives me greater pride than seeing home grown Tasmanians kick arse (I'm liking the Brisbane Lions a lot more these days!), and that's the dream, but get real. This is the state footy reality. Us getting thumped = the public perception that Tasmanian footy is s**t - and we all know that isn't the truth of the matter below the surface...

And the TSL? This is an ideal from me, let's get it clarified from the start this time, Mug - the best comp in Tassie should be the one with the best games, the biggest crowds, and the big drawcard players, and the only way to do this is to pay for it. It's not happening now, and won't while we keep to the old ways and don't get a bit adventurous. Cut costs running clubs, subsidise this membership shortfall if it means cutting reserves and pump more money into a greater salary cap to entice the big guns down here, and promote. I've read Duff in the past, his TSL dealings and his total dismay at their ambivalence to his free airwave service, and I can see the sums and their distribution as well as any of you guys even here in Brisbane...Wade doesn't promote and he keeps a lot of the cash that clubs could spend on players. Neither side is working to achieve this aim - I read Glenorchy wants to dig the heels in about the reserves, but the 10 clubs just axed the notion of having a united voice...from my perspective up here, also reading up on comps that pay their players more in many different sports and succeed in a multitude of ways, the events on a daily basis emanating from Tasmania's main sport are a laughable and embarassing...

How do you get the money? I don't know, I'll leave that to experts. That's why people get degrees in advertising, accountancy and economics and become entrepreneurs and government ministers and businessmen...ask them.

How do you get the money? I don't know, I'll leave that to experts. That's why people get degrees in advertising, accountancy and economics and become entrepreneurs and government ministers and businessmen...ask them.

I'm not sure how to address your comments.
I do see & am informed by a footy club official that most of the TSL clubs were going along reasonably well with a traditional structure.It got he debt of the last TSL. For years they received no help from AFL Tas so survived on their own, piss-ups,raffles & all.
The problem has become, that despite an agreement that the latest TSL was to settle for a few seasons before any major changes would be made. But AFL Tas have simply ploughed on regardless to set up Wades original plan which is for elite clubs of seniors & elite juniors, spread out around the state.

The trouble is that AFLTas are forcing this plan on clubs without giving any financial help for them to implement & run this type of structure. Apparently Wade has made some vague indications that some money may come from future AFL games. Problem is that the clubs are run financially on the current structure. (future vague promises versus the need to pay the bills today!!)The question then becomes how do you trust AFL Tas?, They ran away from the last TSL, the full time Mariner's u18 team, & then their is the bloody mess they made over the VFL Devils.

AFL Tas have shown they cant run anything without it becoming a stuff up. Most of the clubs seem to be worried that its the same people at Argyle st trying to get control of the Titanic once again.

So we have complete mistrust of the AFL here, & rightly so. They do have an obvious history of lurching from one self made disaster to the next.

As was told to me, If we survive this issue (reserves & the associated changes to the clubs financial & community based structure,) what's the next disaster they will try to push onto the clubs & still not help out financially?

Most of the clubs are worried about their viability & can really only rely on themselves to survive, not those sitting in the offices upstairs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back