Autopsy Insipid Dogs flogged by Hawks - Rd 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Putting in the hard yards in preparation for the finals - for those new to game, good coaches do it every year.
I don't understand this concept. You slack off in games that you should win? If they are training the house down, why not rest the best 22, leave them on the track and risk no injuries. It's another baked-in football myth. We should be practising basic skills, sticking tackles, kicking straight. This is not cross-country running, although we would blitz that since it's contact free.

We had a winning structure for the first half of the season but the MC in their wisdom threw that out.

Now we pick players and decide on the structure when it would be better to stick to what resulted in success but what would I know, my views are so outdated as I liked it when Clark Keating dominated in finals.

Yes, a couple of posters went 'postal' on the GD thread, and again in this autopsy thread, but I think that most of us know better than to get personal - even in the heat of the moment. We are all frustrated and critical of the team today - I mean, what was to like? There's only a small number posting comments like "#@%$ off Bevo" or "Player X is "#$%$". But there you go - I'll bet that our BF board, like any other, is quite a diverse bunch who would probably never interact if not unified by our common love of this club.

Anyway, looking at it from another angle, it's interesting that the very thing a lot of us (me included) thought would be the ace up our sleeve has actually seemed to be our undoing. Good players returning from the sidelines is normally a good thing (cue memories of the 2106 finals), but we just haven't looked or felt the same since we started to nurse players back into the senior side from long term injuries. Instead of being the panacea we'd hope for, I think it has had the opposite effect. Don't get me wrong - I'm still basically seething about today's effort - but I'm wondering just how much of an impact it has had to have 3-4 players coming in without the requisite match fitness. Think about how awful the WC Eagles have been in recent weeks, as some of their undoubted guns have returned to the senior side.

I'm doing the whole media blackout thing for the next few days, because I still feel nauseous after today's game! But I don't think all is lost.

I am going to listen to it all - the so called experts writing us off. To quote a line in once were warriors- “we’ll see”.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be a long one.

Mixed emotions on that. Bit of anger, won't lie. But I've pretty much accepted this isn't our year. Too many players in a slump and not enough time to get them out. It's a poor time for it, but as much as giving a solid melt and targetting a few of my least favourite players might make me feel better for a little while I reckon it's pretty pointless.

I've had some serious concerns after the ends of our past 3 years. I can't ignore the pattern of our midfield carrying us and then falling away right at the end. 2019 you could excuse them saying Bont was targetted and Dunkley had a broken rib. 2020 there wasn't as much to hide behind but it was an unusual year. Add in Treloar and Dunkley, another ruck with Martin, yeah things should be better. This year we had a big focus on starting the year off better but it might've backfired because we just look like we've fatigued earlier than usual. With Dunks and Treloar out we kept our midfield rotation to our best 4 and it got us wins. But I reckon Richmond and Hawthorn had much better set ups in their premierships. They rotated their small forwards, their wings, and even some of their defenders inside. Even we did the same in our premiership year. But they all had better defences than us.

I'm not sure this is popular or unpopular but I think a lot of our defenders are overrated (and even when most of us would agree it's our weakness). I've been guilty of it. The moments like Williams splitting 3 Eagles players are few are far between. Most of the time it's bring a ball kicked to a pack to ground, rush a rebound or cause a stoppage, win that and transition. I'm not saying the style doesn't work as it certainly plays into our strengths but it's hardly an elite system. I'm finding it difficult to name a side that doesn't have at least 3 defenders that would immiediately be best 22 for us. Keath is far and away our best defender but the elite defenders shut down but also can win an intercept mark to slow the game down and create off the back of that. Keath just does the shutting down bit. And any time there isn't lots of pressure up the field it becomes too easy to kick to a leading target. I think the truth is most of our defenders are just average players. Either not rounded enough or not consistent enough.

This is probably a bit meltier than I was hoping. It's a top 4 season which we shouldn't be complaining about, but with a form slump at the wrong time and the same problems from the last two years popping up I can't help but be concerned. The only silver lining is that I really believe between our mids and our forwards (lots of which could easily pinch hit in the middle) we have a winning formula, and that every year teams seem to find elite defenders out of nowhere.

So how do we get out of this form slump? I’ve got no idea…with the players we have available…it’s definitely not an easy fix.

Absolutely no idea. The team has serious quality in the middle but when they get torched like they are at present, the lack of quality everywhere else is exposed and exploited. We’re being beaten in the air by players of all sizes, which seems to be killing the confidence. I’m also frustrated by how easily teams are chip kicking it all the way down the ground

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cordy would be in trouble for that dangerous tackle wouldn’t he?
Looked like the Hawthorn player fell forward, made it look worse. Wasn't a sling action. Who knows, Selwood can run through a bloke and cop a fine.

He's never ben the most physical of ruckman, but that side of his game has completely deserted him since his concussion.

Edit: I make no claims of astuteness. I just make statements of the obvious.

I watched him fail to exert any pressure on more than a few occasions today. And he’s not attacking his marks with any power or aggression

Do watchers think Garcia is progressing as hoped? What is it, eight games he has played? I just thought he might be more involved by now , maybe even a breakout game. His output seems to be very even ( and low)

Had pretty good games against Melbourne & Adelaide, but anonymous the last 2 weeks. Popped up with a goal today, but even he isn’t pressurising as we was when he came into the team. If he’s not doing that, he has to go out.

Cordy would be in trouble for that dangerous tackle wouldn’t he?

Nope, the Hawks player made 2 movements, but it was only 1 tackle. He didn’t hold and then sling or dump him to the ground, looks like the Hawks player slipped out of his movement being restricted. Not unreasonable in the circumstances

I watched him fail to exert any pressure on more than a few occasions today. And he’s not attacking his marks with any power or aggression

...and he hasn't done that since his return from concussion.

Something that was more severe and took longer than expected to pass.

If we weren't contending (are we still?) or we had a viable alternative. I doubt he'd be playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be a long one.

Mixed emotions on that. Bit of anger, won't lie. But I've pretty much accepted this isn't our year. Too many players in a slump and not enough time to get them out. It's a poor time for it, but as much as giving a solid melt and targetting a few of my least favourite players might make me feel better for a little while I reckon it's pretty pointless.

I've had some serious concerns after the ends of our past 3 years. I can't ignore the pattern of our midfield carrying us and then falling away right at the end. 2019 you could excuse them saying Bont was targetted and Dunkley had a broken rib. 2020 there wasn't as much to hide behind but it was an unusual year. Add in Treloar and Dunkley, another ruck with Martin, yeah things should be better. This year we had a big focus on starting the year off better but it might've backfired because we just look like we've fatigued earlier than usual. With Dunks and Treloar out we kept our midfield rotation to our best 4 and it got us wins. But I reckon Richmond and Hawthorn had much better set ups in their premierships. They rotated their small forwards, their wings, and even some of their defenders inside. Even we did the same in our premiership year. But they all had better defences than us.

I'm not sure this is popular or unpopular but I think a lot of our defenders are overrated (and even when most of us would agree it's our weakness). I've been guilty of it. The moments like Williams splitting 3 Eagles players are few are far between. Most of the time it's bring a ball kicked to a pack to ground, rush a rebound or cause a stoppage, win that and transition. I'm not saying the style doesn't work as it certainly plays into our strengths but it's hardly an elite system. I'm finding it difficult to name a side that doesn't have at least 3 defenders that would immiediately be best 22 for us. Keath is far and away our best defender but the elite defenders shut down but also can win an intercept mark to slow the game down and create off the back of that. Keath just does the shutting down bit. And any time there isn't lots of pressure up the field it becomes too easy to kick to a leading target. I think the truth is most of our defenders are just average players. Either not rounded enough or not consistent enough.

This is probably a bit meltier than I was hoping. It's a top 4 season which we shouldn't be complaining about, but with a form slump at the wrong time and the same problems from the last two years popping up I can't help but be concerned. The only silver lining is that I really believe between our mids and our forwards (lots of which could easily pinch hit in the middle) we have a winning formula, and that every year teams seem to find elite defenders out of nowhere.
I don't disagree re: our defenders. We have some very good attacking defenders (Daniel, Dale), but sorely lack in terms of personnel who can actually defend their man/space. Duryea and Keath are probably the only truly defensively minded players we have that are AFL standard.

I am going to listen to it all - the so called experts writing us off. To quote a line in once were warriors- “we’ll see”.......
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely, finals will be a different matter. Who knows who we play in the first week of the finals but win and see how the mood around here changes. All teams will have to perform and Geelong without Stewart will be a different look.

Quite often today there were leads made by small forwards but they were ignored. Result: the ball gets bombed in which just plays into Hawthorn's hands and they intercept mark. We are going to be extremely easy to beat in a final when more kicks get hacked into the forward line with the extra pressure. Really need to take a chance on Sweet next week. It may not make much difference but have to try something. It will play into Ports hands going in with English as the sole ruck, put him forward and hope for the best.
It was like we forgot Bruce was out.

A woeful effort to be sure, but plenty of over the top reactions. Anyone calling to sack Bev, when we were top of the table about a week ago, has lost the plot.

It’s not reading well, but it’s two terrible performances in a row, not ten.

At the end of 2016 I was grimly looking forward to our season ending with a 60 point flogging in an elimination final. It turned around.

Cats and Port are both down against lower ranked sides as I type. It’s been a weird couple of rounds.

Anyway, JJ was diabolical, as were English and Wood.

Really hope Treloar, Vandermeer and Dunkley settle back in. They can play much better.

Sweet has hardly played for 18 months, he is young and needs a couple of pre seasons before he will be ready.

Nothing good to report from today, move on to next week and see how we go.

Your point is well made, but whose fault is it that he’s not played much in 18 months though? I get the VFL has been compromised but it’s not like he couldn’t have got a few games earlier.

We’ve just lost to Essendon and Hawthorn, it’s not like we need to keep our personnel in these key areas the same to ensure we don’t drop games.

The flag was won with third man up as a key ingredient- since that was taken away we’ve had a glaring weakness in what is now a critical area of the ground and our footy department have yet to provide a competent solution.

It’s not Tim’s fault he keeps being picked in there, but the list management team, match committee and coaching panel are at fault here imo. Martin was obviously brought in to try and rectify it but it wouldn’t have taken Nostradamus to see he might spend some of the year on the sidelines.

With a competent ruck we win last week. This week was a whole other kettle of fish, with many more issues coming to the fore. It’ll take a massive turnaround for this season to not fizzle out in the next few weeks.

Season is not over. Cats, Power and dees are like us, not premiership material. So by default we are still in there.

Our list is the best, our coach is not in Clarko’s league but is competitive enough against the others.

Players have lost intensity. We can get this back next week against a Top 4 team. Our tackling numbers and pressure are deplorable but this can be fixed.

The club has to be embarrassed by the last 2 weeks and I expect a win next week. If we do not regroup next week I will then concede.

i am worried about the coach. We need a quality assistant coach to help out.

‘Positives are Treloar and Dunks got another game under their belt.Weightman good again.

English and JUH have to play forward. Even if Martin has no match fitness But is fit and healthy he will probably have to play.

A week is a long time in footy, yes it's a cliche but boy does it apply to us. A week ago all we needed was one single premiership point to guarantee a top 4 spot 8 quarters later we still need that point, we've lost 8% and have been embarrassed by 2 bottom 8 teams.

Prior to today's match simulations had the percentage of us making the 4 at 98%. It seems fitting that we could very well be the team that misses with those odds.

I do apologise to those who had to suffer through my comments in the game thread but contrary to popular belief I don't enjoy watching us lose and to be fair I don't think you could argue against many of my comments based on our last two weeks.

Many on here counted their top 4 chickens before they hatched and after the Swans match I was laughed at for suggesting that we could miss the 4 and that the Essendon and Hawthorn matches were danger games. As Bulldog supporter you should know never to expect anything to go as planned.

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 4.24.12 pm.png

As for the match...

Things of note
-10% kicking efficiency
-18% forward half kicking efficiency
-40 hitouts (we won 15 hitouts from 93 contests)
-13 hitouts to advantage
-9 first possessions
-6 effective clearances
-16 inside 50s
-38 marks
-23 forward half marks
-8 intercept marks
-6 contested marks
-19% expected accuracy
+4 unforced turnovers
lost disposal count and had fewer tackles
letting Wright, Francis, Howe, O'Brien have career-best matches

Now as always…

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 53 / 37 (-16)
HW: 71 / 64 (+7)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: -18 / -27

Centre Bounce Attendance
15 - Liberatore
12 - Bontempelli, English, Macrae
7 - Smith
6 - Young
5 - Dunkley
2 - Daniel, Treloar

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
53 - English (10 / 1)
19 - Young (4 / 0)
9 - Keath (1 / 0)
8 - Macrae (0 / 0)
4 - Bontempelli (0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 1
HW: 14

First Possessions
WB: 34

HW: 43

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 33 / 24
HW: 35/ 30

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 63%
HW: 63%

Spoil Efficiency
WB: 68%
HW: 74%

Smothers
WB: 11

HW: 8

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 48%
HW: 66%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 73%
HW: 80%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 6
HW: 8

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 8
HW: 12

Score Launches
2 - Dale, Liberatore, Macrae, Wood
1 - Bontempelli, English, Hunter, Weightman

Shots At Goal
WB: 15 (33% - Expected Accuracy: 52%)
HW: 23 (39% - Expected Accuracy: 44%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Hawthorn)
Set Shot: 3.3 / 6.6
Snap: 0.1 / 2.0
On Run: 1.2 / 0.2
Mark Play On: 1.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 1.0

0M-15M: 1.0 / 1.0
15M-30M: 0.2 / 3.1
31M-40M: 3.4 / 0/1
41M-50M: 1.0 / 3.5
51M+: 0.0 / 2.1

Targets Inside 50
5 - English, Naughton, Weightman
2 - Hannan
1 - Bontempelli, Daniel, Dunkley, Garcia, Hunter, Johannisen, Smith

Kick In / Kick In - Play On
6 / 6 - Dale
3 / 3 - Daniel
1 / 1 - Williams

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 20
HW: 26

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 7

HW: 9

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 19
HW: 16

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 50

HW: 44

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 14

HW: 10

Unforced Turnovers By Player
2 - Dale, Daniel, English, Smith
1 - Dunkley, Garcia, Hunter, Johannisen, Treloar, Weightman

Dropped Marks
WB: 2

HW: 1

No Pressure Errors
WB: 2

HW: 3

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
1 - Bontempelli, Cordy, Daniel, Johannisen, Wood

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 171 (Below Average)
HW: 200 (Elite)

Q2
WB: 197 (Above Average)
HW: 182 (Average)

Q3
WB: 196 (Above Average)
HW: 203 (Elite)

Q4
WB: 167 (Poor)
HW: 188 (Average)

Match
WB: 183 (Average)
HW: 193 (Above Average)

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 5.04.08 pm.png

Score Sources

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 5.04.20 pm.png

Some pretty ordinary stuff being said in here.

I’m not gonna pile in on the team, but the one thing I’ll say is I reckon we can put a line through Lewy Young. Looks genuinely scared everytime he touches the ball.
He’s just not a natural footballer. Got some huge athletic upside but I don’t think he makes it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back