Autopsy Insipid Dogs flogged by Hawks - Rd 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last week we simply turned up and expected the 4 points. Nobody was working nearly hard enough, too many want to stand around and let someone else do the hard yakka so they can get an easy possession.

Said it last week when I wanted him dropped, but JJ does not want to get his hands dirty. I was disappointed when Scott lost his place last week and JJ kept his.... what we saw today was the result. Scott at least has a crack.

Surely we've all seen enough of Cordy by now. Gardner can't come back soon enough.

Baily Smith... one of the laziest mids I've seen in a while.

my biggest problem isnt with the ruck setup, its the choices we've been making. We brought lewis young in to play the role that everyone wants English to play, while leaving English to be the primary ruck. Lewis was then useless up forward so was sent back, leaving an even bigger chasm up forward in the abscence of both bruce and the resting ruck. I like our look more as a "3 headed monster", but why is everyone on this board pretending that Bevo has just elected not to play with that. Martin and Bruce are down. Half of the monster is unavailable. Sweet isnt Afl ready, Young definitly isnt AFL ready in a forward line, and JUH is very young.

So what to do.... Surely it has to be sweet with English playing his natural role and JUH in to play as a second dedicated key forward. That gives us the same structure of the 3 headed monster, but with two players who aren't ready for the role...... but here in lies the worlds greatest mystery. Is solving our key forward structure going to resolve our 2 weeks running of insipid midfield performances?

As frustrating a day in front of the TV as I can remember. Playing at a ground the majority of the team won’t have seen before today. Destiny is still in our hands though. We need 4 wins. Heads up and re-load (and stay away from any footy shows or podcasts until at least Thursday).

Here’s the one positive - Macrae always brings it. The captain is woefully out of form (he’s obviously injured imo), and our other top level players are way too inconsistent.

But Jackson is like a metronome. He might not be our best player but he’s our rock. I thought he had a good game when virtually none of his teammates were even close to one. Kudos.

Those more astute than me might be able to answer this but why in earth foes Tim get beaten so badly? Surely his height alone would ensure he can outreach a lot of ruck men?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
At boundary thrown-ins his opponent gets in front every time, and Tim either loses every tap or gives away a free kick.
But I am not astute.

Here’s the one positive - Macrae always brings it. The captain is woefully out of form (he’s obviously injured imo), and our other top level players are way too inconsistent.

But Jackson is like a metronome. He might not be our best player but he’s our rock. I thought he had a good game when virtually none of his teammates were even close to one. Kudos.

Could not agree more, he has clearly been the most consistent player in the competition over the past 3 seasons. As you say he may not be the best player on the ground but he never gives anything less than 100%. He has notable performances when the team has a down day which just shows his work rate.

He is surely a lock for AA and maybe the club can generate some positive news this week by signing him up for 4 more years.

Someone said earlier that it’s worrying that our match committee don’t seem know our best team, I think it’s more worrying that we don’t know our best structure. Injuries do play a part but.
Early in the year we went with 2 KPDs, 2 KPFs, a third KPF/Ruck and a starting ruck.
Then we went with 2 KPFs, 2 KPDs, a ruck and a ruck/KPD
Then 3 KPDs, 2 KPFs and a ruck
Then 3 KPDs, 3 KPFs and a ruck
Then today it was basically 1 KPF, 2 KPDs, a ruck and a ruck/KPD.

We constantly change our structure, even when we don’t need to, so often we pick the next best player overall rather than the next best player in the position we need to replace.

Now we are bound to change our structure again next week with gardner likely to be back and Schache and JUH available.

It is the same with the forward line we constantly change the players down there, we get no cohesion. Also think we are too reliant on bont, macrae, Libba and delay mixing it up in the middle, sometimes we need to throw treloar, Dunkley and smith in there more often but because those three are more versatile than Libba and macrae we don’t get them in there as much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve wasted far too much time on this forum and supporting this piece of s**t of a club. Merge, relocate, fold, who gives a *. I know how much you’ve all enjoyed my posts, now on to something that actually matters. Enjoy supporting this rabble and who knows maybe the AFL will orchestrate another rigged premiership in 60 years time.

Someone said earlier that it’s worrying that our match committee don’t seem know our best team, I think it’s more worrying that we don’t know our best structure. Injuries do play a part but.
Early in the year we went with 2 KPDs, 2 KPFs, a third KPF/Ruck and a starting ruck.
Then we went with 2 KPFs, 2 KPDs, a ruck and a ruck/KPD
Then 3 KPDs, 2 KPFs and a ruck
Then 3 KPDs, 3 KPFs and a ruck
Then today it was basically 1 KPF, 2 KPDs, a ruck and a ruck/KPD.

We constantly change our structure, even when we don’t need to, so often we pick the next best player overall rather than the next best player in the position we need to replace.

Now we are bound to change our structure again next week with gardner likely to be back and Schache and JUH available.

It is the same with the forward line we constantly change the players down there, we get no cohesion. Allow think we are too reliant on bont, macrae, Libba and delay mixing it up in the middle, sometimes we need to throw treloar, Dunkley and smith in there more often but because those three are more versatile than Libba and macrae we don’t get them in there as much.

I reckon all our supporters were begging Bevo not to revert to English as the sole ruck when we were winning- but that was never going to happen.

The modern game is also one of momentum, and teams get runs on fairly frequently. We had one at the start of the third and should’ve sprinted away. Then Wood made an inexplicable decision to hack it back into play inside the defensive 50 and Mitchell (I think) marked and goaled. Hawks then kicked another from the centre bounce and didn’t look back.

It feel like we have just too many of those. Missed easy set shots that turn momentum, or stupid turnovers in defensive 50 just at the time we get on top. It probably happens to every team, but as soon as that happened I lost all confidence we could win.

Good teams can arrest that, and sometimes we do - WC, Carlton, Port this year spring ti mind. But it hasn’t felt like the boys have that in them for the past 4-6 weeks.

I’ve wasted far too much time on this forum and supporting this piece of sh*t of a club. Merge, relocate, fold, who gives a fu**. I know how much you’ve all enjoyed my posts, now on to something that actually matters. Enjoy supporting this rabble and who knows maybe the AFL will orchestrate another rigged premiership in 60 years time.

Lol. Bye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back