Apr 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
:thumbsdown:

My body is a real pos.

I've seen a GP (briefly about this, was primarily about something else), who could replicate the pain and said it was definitely in the area. Wasn't actual rib damage or a torn pec.

Anyway, anyone got some advice on how to treat damage/soreness in the intercostals. Quick rundown: I've always had a little bit of pain during standard tri dips (not leaning forward). I can do low reps at bw+~20kgs too, at bodyweight I could probably knock out a decent 30+ reps.

Anyway, the other day after a 3 day layoff (non injury related) I did 2 sets of bodyweight dips to warm up and had to stop. Rest of the day was fine and chest day since was fine.

Today was shoulders, and after OHP the pain was fairly intense, especially when hunching forward/exhaling and contracting the rib cage I guess.

Really weird. Don't exactly want to lay off and can probably manage taking dips out of the equation for a month or so and seeing if that helps. But any advice on stretching/lifting to strengthen/prevent this sort of injury would be great, as well as any experience on whether icing/massage is worthwhile.

Cheers :)

Ok, seems as though noone could help there.

Works out well, as apparently it's actually costochondritis. And apparently it requires a lot of rest (something I'm not keen on!). Doc said it can be serious, won't kill me but will get worse the longer I persist. Arghh

Mmmm. Awesome body =/

Hello..Intercostal muscles are the muscles between each rib. So when one is sprained, every time you breath in, you get a raw stabbing pain in the chest! A sneeze can put you on the floor! I have sprained several over the years, and yes I have found that the pain is usually gone within a week or so. I just thought that it was a bit ironic that when having a day off from running 9using the elliptical trainer) I end up unable to run at all!

Thanks,
Peterson

you could have a rib dysfunction
common for the facet joints or costovertebral/costotransverse joints to refer pain along the whole ribcage. it would be very unusual to actually have a strained intercostal muscle

Cheers guys for the responses. Yeah apparently it's actually the cartilage connecting the rib cage to the sternum and it's a slow healing process due to the fact it's not like you've got blood pumping through there etc.

Apparently not much I can do. I'm taking glucosamine+chondroitin fwiw, but I think it's getting slightly better each day. I'll probably try to do some shoulder work today and compare it to the last time, when it was almost unbearable. Still hurts randomly when I lie in bed, hunch over slightly or press my hands together (lifting things without handles is what I was actually doing), but that main is probably only ~4 and not that bad.

Heavy deads were hurting a while ago too though, but I've been told that's what it is anyway.

Ok, seems as though noone could help there.

Works out well, as apparently it's actually costochondritis. And apparently it requires a lot of rest (something I'm not keen on!). Doc said it can be serious, won't kill me but will get worse the longer I persist. Arghh

Mmmm. Awesome body =/

Reopening a verrry old thread, sorry, but just wanted to know, how'd you go with the costochondritis? Doc has just told me I have it after a second flare of rib/chest pain in 2 months. Did it go away quickly/easily for you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back