rideclutch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Formula 1, PGA Tour
Anyone else getting as tumescent as I regarding this years meeting?

Kicks off tomorrow night around 11:30pm with Able Friend vs Solow vs Night of Thunder in the Queen Anne - BOOM! Beats watching a Listed 2YO with 16 names you've never heard of...

Also on Day 1, Shamal Wind goes around in the King's Stand in R3. Ryan Moore rides, hopefully times his run to perfection for her backers.

Criterion goes around in the Prince of Wales on Wednesday, but with the predicted good ground he might have his work cut out against a handy field and Brazen Beau and Wandjina will contest the Diamond Jubilee (the race Cool Hand Luke nearly messed up on the mighty mare) on the final day.

Who's having a bet?

Queen Anne - Solow would be odds on in the absence of Able Friend and as arguably one of the top 3 horses in Europe he is hard to go past with the relative home advantage (albeit on his UK debut). The Lockinge quinella (Night of Thunder and Toormore) look to provide the main opposition. Happy to leave Able Friend alone on his first run outside the HK fish bowl - and if he trades below 1.50 he would appeal as a place lay.

Coventry - For mine Round Trip has recorded the best 2yo win this year when winning the Marble Hill at the Curragh last time out. His trainer has form in winning this race and his main rival (Log Out Island) has been diverted to the Norfolk later in the week. Buratino bolted up at Epsom on Derby Day and a repeat of that performance would have him in the reckoning.

Kings Stand - Mecca's Angel looks a great EW bet at $9.00 after bolting up at Longchamp first up. That made it 5 wins from her last 6 with her only defeat coming on soft ground in France. She looks to be a filly still on the up and if last years bias is anything to go by she has drawn the right side of the track. Think Sole Power has to be a lay as favorite - personally think he is past it and Richard Hughes ALWAYS gives him way too much to do (admittedly the horse has often been good enough to win anyway).

St James Palace - a match between the English/Irish and French Guineas winners. Initially I had thought Make Believe was the value at the price but on reflection he has never faced a track without soft in the going description. With the track set to be Good at the absolute worst Gleneagles should return to his devastating Newmarket form and be too good. Consort was high up in 2000 Guineas markets before having an early season set back and can give a sight at odds.

Ascot Stakes - first of the standard Ascot handicap lotteries. Jumps trainer Willie Mullins got Pique Sous to win a Royal Ascot staying handicap last year and can do the same here with jumper Clondaw Warrior who won a big field handicap in Ireland last time he saw the flat. Fun Mac won by a lazy 11 lengths first up at Salisbury this season so would have a chance if he can reproduce that effort.

Windosr Castle - Steady Pace has course and distance form when winning with a devastating finishing burst here at his first start. He easily beat King of Rooks that day and that horse will be well fancied to get a win later at the festival. Steady Pace can be forgiven his last run when racing off the rail and back in the field at Sandown, which is an exceptionally leaderish track. Soapy Aitken has been well fancied in both his wins so far but may have drawn on the wrong side of the track.

BEST WIN - SOLOW
BEST EW - STEADY PACE

Also - if anyone has a bet365 account - it might be worth having a crack at the placepot each day. It's like a quaddie but you have to pick a placed horse in every race. If a couple of favourites miss the placings the dividends can build up pretty quickly.

Have to love starting the week with a proper race.
The social media frenzy that is Able Friend is overwhelming,HK will melt down if he wins.
He will get to silly odds Betfair with the travel & straight mile factor,might be too hard to resist.

coventry:also with Round Trip
kings stand:doesnt look crazy speed so will speck a leader Pearl Secret
Sjp:Gleneagles looks too good
ascot:4000m race,Asbury Boss at the price as he looks to have some upside
windsor castle:no idea but Qatar bloodstock just bought Opal Tiara,good a lead as any

seth

Have to love starting the week with a proper race.
The social media frenzy that is Able Friend is overwhelming,HK will melt down if he wins.
He will get to silly odds Betfair with the travel & straight mile factor,might be too hard to resist.

coventry:also with Round Trip
kings stand:doesnt look crazy speed so will speck a leader Pearl Secret
Sjp:Gleneagles looks too good
ascot:4000m race,Asbury Boss at the price as he looks to have some upside
windsor castle:no idea but Qatar bloodstock just bought Opal Tiara,good a lead as any

seth

Is Kev 'investing' money, your 'Dollars$$$' for a return on Royal 'Ascot', Seth?

love this race meet. its bad enough having the first 3 in the quaddie and having to stay up till midnight to see if you got it because no one can sleep when you are 3 out of 4 in a quad!! must be even worse for you eastern staters. used to be great when they had the bbc coverage and John McCrick?? ( eccentric character with the hand gestures and crazy suit who never rates the aussies), the coverage they have now is a bit meh. anyway will be up late most nights doing school reports so a borderline b/c student may be hoping im finding a winner or 2 if they want that B!!

Also - if anyone has a bet365 account - it might be worth having a crack at the placepot each day. It's like a quaddie but you have to pick a placed horse in every race. If a couple of favourites miss the placings the dividends can build up pretty quickly.

Interesting but can't seem to navigate to this on the 365 website?

Interesting but can't seem to navigate to this on the 365 website?

If you click horse racing - where they list the race times for each meeting there should be a little placepot button in the top right corner?

Been looking forward to this for a while now. Queen Anne looks the highlight for the first few days after a couple withdrawals elsewhere. Won't be heavily betting, moreso just small speck bets out of the yard if it can be televised reasonably. Just great to watch even not being invested in the races themselves.

Queen Anne- Able Friend getting out to nice odds for him now. Pretty happy to take the $3 on offer

Kings Stand- Shamal Wind

St James Palace- Make Believe

If Shamal Wind gets up I think I will turn the TV off. Just can't see a handicap sprinter like her taking the choccies at one of most prestigious events in world racing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Shamal Wind gets up I think I will turn the TV off. Just can't see a handicap sprinter like her taking the choccies at one of most prestigious events in world racing.

Agreed - super flukey horse so I guess if she has one of her massive ON days she could be a chance but hardly a betting proposition at the current price.

Able Friend touching $4 on betfair this morning.

Able Friend got to $3.75 on Sportsbet earlier tonight so took those odds with the money back 2nd/3rd.

I'd be surprised if Shamal Wind won and I won't be backing her, but would still love to see her win.

If last years bias reasserts she is also going to be on the wrong side of the track - plus you are probably blowing $5 worth of value because Moore is riding her. I'd be interested at $20 not $10.

Last edited:
Yeah she's poor value with the Moore/Aus sprinter factor, but she's a bonny little mare and Euro sprinters are ordinary so I'd love to see her salute.

Able Friend originally raced here in Aus is that correct?
Yes. A first and a 2nd for Team Hawkes.

For those who follow Vic country racing, he was rolled by Balzac on debut. He's a staple of Bm64 and 70's in the Western districts :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back