Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried higher weight less sets and reps and I don't come away feeling like I've done as much.
All in your head, 10 sets of hard work>28 sets
Nah I do like 25 sets of chest
Ignore them do what youre doing
If you can link me to one single piece of evidence that shows >25 sets are required to strengthen and grow your chest I'd be very appreciative.

gym this morning, (and for the last few weeks) has resorted to turning on every friggiin air conditioner and fan in the joint from 6am so it feels like a freezer. the windows are kept closed and the access glass door from the reception area (which is not air conditioned) into the gym proper is also closed so the manager doesn't have a clue about how cold it is. the body warms up and sweats but mix body & shirt moisture with the cold air and it is literally giving me the chills. i'll have to take a jumper in and wear it in my workouts, which I've noticed some other folks already doing.

why the * do you need it to be 18 degrees in a gym? You're in there to sweat. Turn off the air con, just operate some fans and leave the friggin windows open for real air, not the circulated conditioned s**t.

I've tried higher weight less sets and reps and I don't come away feeling like I've done as much.

take your focus off 'the pump' and fatiguing the your body, and more on the quality of your work out.

a sprinter can do 10 x 80m with 3min rests in a session taking him 35 mins.

a long-distance runner may do 10 x 1km intervals with 3 min jog recoveries for 60 mins.

the latter will come away feeling as though he has done more than the sprinter. doesn't necessarily mean his work out was better quality.

you'll find with the longer duration and volume of the latter over time, his body ends up much less muscular too.

gym this morning, (and for the last few weeks) has resorted to turning on every friggiin air conditioner and fan in the joint from 6am so it feels like a freezer. the windows are kept closed and the access glass door from the reception area (which is not air conditioned) into the gym proper is also closed so the manager doesn't have a clue about how cold it is. the body warms up and sweats but mix body & shirt moisture with the cold air and it is literally giving me the chills. i'll have to take a jumper in and wear it in my workouts, which I've noticed some other folks already doing.

why the **** do you need it to be 18 degrees in a gym? You're in there to sweat. Turn off the air con, just operate some fans and leave the friggin windows open for real air, not the circulated conditioned s**t.

interesting. i dont sweat when working out. dunno why. but feel fatigued at sessions ending.

not related to your post, but people who think sweating it out leads to weight loss.

interesting. i dont sweat when working out. dunno why. but feel fatigued at sessions ending.

not related to your post, but people who think sweating it out leads to weight loss.

sweating is your body's mechanism for cooling. perhaps your body's temperature doesn't rise to a level that triggers it's cooling mechanism................or perhaps you spray an anti-perspirant all over yourself.

the weight loss in sweating is simply the body losing it's water content, i.e., dehydration. it definitely doesn't lead to any permanent weight loss, unless the person remains in a constant state of dehydration which would be certainly ill-advised.

but re the air-conditioners in the gym........unless it's a high 30s day, i can't see the need for cranking them at the lowest temp and making the gym a freezer, particularly for many of us who do sweat and end up in a chill. an air con isn't going to stop our body temp from rising when exerting ourselves.

sweating is your body's mechanism for cooling. perhaps your body's temperature doesn't rise to a level that triggers it's cooling mechanism................or perhaps you spray an anti-perspirant all over yourself.

the weight loss in sweating is simply the body losing it's water content, i.e., dehydration. it definitely doesn't lead to any permanent weight loss, unless the person remains in a constant state of dehydration which would be certainly ill-advised.

but re the air-conditioners in the gym........unless it's a high 30s day, i can't see the need for cranking them at the lowest temp and making the gym a freezer, particularly for many of us who do sweat and end up in a chill. an air con isn't going to stop our body temp from rising when exerting ourselves.

yeah i have a weird body system. basically as soon as i start to sweat my body eases off. result of a medical condition i had for some 25 years.

yes, sweat = lost water. drink water = put it back on to an extent.

just like to get peoples thoughts on this - wearing sports apparel to gyms. do you find that you must wear adidas, nike, puma, NB etc shoes and clothes to the gym?
I tend to wear cheap singlets I bought overseas, with the odd $9 special from Big W.
Have some Adidas shorts so I guess that makes me a scenster?

Shoes I get from wiggle.uk so I'm paying half price anyway ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wear nike shorts - love these because they are really light and also because they are made up of stretchy material so never get in the way of doing any movements (ie. squats). Also seem to wick away any sweat/moisture.

Wear $8 bonds singlets - cheap, semi stretchy but tight fitting without getting in the way.

Tshirts i get annoyed by sleeves getting in the way sometimes. And i hate those really lose "gym/bodybuilder" singlets - they are more to show off rather than being functional.

The bonds singlets are perfect as i can move arms around in any direction without it interfering/restricting or rubbing on me.

Shoes - upper body day i wear normal sneakers. Lower body day (squats/deadlifts) i wear $5 canvas shoes from target. The sole of these is very flat and minimal so i find it works better on these lifts. Sneakers are too spongy and interfere with my lifts as i dont get enough feed back from the ground with them bouncing all over the place.

I wear functional clothes to the gym. They can be anything from sports shorts to cotton track pants to bike shirts to tshirts. It just depends on what the weather is like and what is clean.

I don't really feel the need to worry about brands.

I prefer more breathab;e singlets. Cotton tends to absorb the sweat and get heavy.

i wear cotton cause it breathes but yes i see what you mean.

if it does get sweaty (not likely) or a spill water on it whilst taking a drink it would get slightly heavier thus providing extra weight/resistance.

I prefer more breathab;e singlets. Cotton tends to absorb the sweat and get heavy.

Yeah fair enough. I've been out in the rain exercising and once the cotton shirt gets soaked it feels like it's holding you down. You feel like ripping the thing off.

Today a guy at my gym walked into the semi full change rooms, tried 2 toilet doors which were both occupied, and then just walked into the showers fully clothed and started pissing down the drain........

Today a guy at my gym walked into the semi full change rooms, tried 2 toilet doors which were both occupied, and then just walked into the showers fully clothed and started pissing down the drain........

George - "It's all pipes!"
Elaine - "Different pipes go to different places!"

Yeah that's weird mate. Maybe a sneaky wee while having a shower is okay (we all do it, come on!) but openly using a shower just as a toilet is pretty distasteful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back