Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

So close to almost the "perfect workout" and had some great lifts today and the body felt great, just had to hit the rear delt machine at the end of it to complete my workout.:think:

Of course grandpa, ie a guy in his 60s decides to spend 15mins on it while watching a movie on the TV screen (ironically it was an old movie too on c7) during his rest breaks. The guy literally took 3+ min break between 4 sets for his rear delt.

I lost my mind. :drunk:

Things that irritate me: interview with a physio on morning talkback radio about how dead lifts are bad.

Go over to my parents house- mum all up in a tizz asking me and my brother if we do dead lifts :rolleyes::tearsofjoy:

Technically there is some truth to this.

Will be interesting what others think? Its been discussed before.

Deadlifts with proper form and technique are great. However, this exercise is the most unforgiving, if you get it wrong, you will really screw your lower back.

World's strongest man (for deadlifts) in an interview with Joe Rogan, mentioned the risk to reward ratio for deadlifts is not worth it.

In fact many professional athletes in football etc etc, wont do deadlifts for the risk involved.

According to myth, the Deadlift got its name somewhere in ancient Rome, after military battles when young Roman soldiers would go out into the field to lift their fallen comrades onto wagons to later be buried. Literally, “lifting the dead.” This was used not only to help young soldiers get familiar with battle and death, but to also increase overall strength.

How interesting.

Here is some deadlift fails.

If you go to 2.40 into the video you will see my reaction to my failed deadlift. lol :D

Nothing at all impressive with any of these lifts as they are not deadlifts at all. They are suicide lifts.

This is the one exercise, I will never ever push myself at.

I wouldnt know how to do a dead lift if it hit me in the face if I'm honest..

Dont worry you would be right at home with most people at the gym.

While technically it is a bit more complicated than all other exercises, its not hard to learn. Plenty of videos out there to teach you.

However, I would first practice technique with using just a stick before using any weight whatsoever.

Dont worry you would be right at home with most people at the gym.

While technically it is a bit more complicated than all other exercises, its not hard to learn. Plenty of videos out there to teach you.

However, I would first practice technique with using just a stick before using any weight whatsoever.
Yeah dw I wont be doing them.

Ive never been one of those hardcore gym junkies.
/nttawwt

I just go to maintain/tone and watch TV on the treadmill.

People should be able to go to morgues and do them for reals.
If you saw the thumbnail in the video I posted, thats how a lot of guys who deadlift heavy.

It wont crack their back today, but it will eventually.

Ironically if they dropped their weight dramatically they would probably deadlift really well.

Technically there is some truth to this.

Will be interesting what others think? Its been discussed before.

Deadlifts with proper form and technique are great. However, this exercise is the most unforgiving, if you get it wrong, you will really screw your lower back.

World's strongest man (for deadlifts) in an interview with Joe Rogan, mentioned the risk to reward ratio for deadlifts is not worth it.

In fact many professional athletes in football etc etc, wont do deadlifts for the risk involved.
For people serious about their lifting who have the desire and dedication to perfect their form I think the reward is absolutely worth the risk. Whenever I have to lift anything awkward IRL now I feel comparatively bulletproof relative to before I started lifting and deadlifting.

For athletes who are being forced to do them as part of a compulsory weights program and aren't all that invested in learning the movement? Yeah that's a valid argument. Trapbar deadlifts are a good, comparatively safe substitute in that case I think. Or just squats and RDLs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For people serious about their lifting who have the desire and dedication to perfect their form I think the reward is absolutely worth the risk. Whenever I have to lift anything awkward IRL now I feel comparatively bulletproof relative to before I started lifting and deadlifting.

For athletes who are being forced to do them as part of a compulsory weights program and aren't all that invested in learning the movement? Yeah that's a valid argument. Trapbar deadlifts are a good, comparatively safe substitute in that case I think. Or just squats and RDLs.
Between deadlifts and farmers walks I haven't made two trips to bring the shopping in from the car for years.

#functional

Nope. I wear American football elbow pads in reverse, the padding offers good protection.

Yeah it’s not for me, I really don’t have the time or will. I just do a push pull leg core workout 3x a week, then the bike, and a couple other off days of bike but I’m gonna add arms to those days. Curls and close grip flat DB bench for tris.
These are actually really good. I'm a taller guy, so feels better on my back than traditional Squats.

If you go to 2.40 into the video you will see my reaction to my failed deadlift. lol :D

Nothing at all impressive with any of these lifts as they are not deadlifts at all. They are suicide lifts.

The guy spewing at 4:41😳

CrossFit gets a bad rap for form (and rightly so at times) but the coach would put an immediate stop to all of these.

Deadlift form has been elusive for me for a long time.
Until I saw a video on "Is your deadlift too 'squatty'". And all of a sudden it was clear to me that even though I was hinging at the hip - I needed to really exaggerate that action of pushing the ass back compared to what I was doing.

Feels in all the right places noww.

How's the alpha dudebro that decided to rage at the whole gym because he couldn't nail his ego lift. Sheeesh.

How's the alpha dudebro that decided to rage at the whole gym because he couldn't nail his ego lift. Sheeesh.
If a staff manager saw that, likely he would be kicked out.

That one ego lift, enough to wreck his spine for life. Even if he managed to stand up straight with it, its still a fail, he was basically exercising his lower back only.

It should come as no surprise to anyone, that I managed to irritate myself today. :drunk:

Got an app to log my lifts and in the end found myself not enjoying the workout. Probably because I really enjoy the mental relaxation of lifting and felt that adding another layer of tedious entries frustrating and it did take a lot of enjoyment away from the workout.

On reflection, I think what I may do in the future, is to do all the recording at the end of the workout?

Thoughts, does anyone else do this?

Maybe just to limit the recording to the compound lifts may be a better approach, Bench, OHP, Pullups, Squat, DL.

K I've thought of something that my PT does/did that annoys the fu** out of me.

He's a repeater.

Like he'll repeat back 95% of things you say to him. I had a workmate like this at my old job, shitted me to tears.
Sounds like you're annoyed that your PT is repeating things back to to often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back