Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Meat head's idea of cardio amuses me. As if running for 10 minutes actually burns even close to a significant amount of calories to actually do anything.

When I'm at the gym to do runs its generally only because its too hot outside. So I'm there for a while going along at a steady pace. I could be on a tready with no one else around me using one. But almost every time someone has to side up next to me for a pissing contest and proceed to sprint for about 5 minutes before running out of puff and proceeding to stand around a weights bench instead staring at their phone.

I reckon 75% of people that go to the gym, post photos of themselves on the gram in workout gear looking all swole couldn't even run around the block

Watching some young kid squat 3 plates for 6 with ease then realizing he had a belt on.

Me walk away like... (I actually cried)

Season 3 Whatever GIF by On My Block
Or the people that load up heavy but squat about 45degrees down. At a minimum you’d squat 90. This guy has a weight belt for that at my gym and has about 4 plates either side. It’s ridiculous.

Meat head's idea of cardio amuses me. As if running for 10 minutes actually burns even close to a significant amount of calories to actually do anything.
When I'm at the gym to do runs its generally only because its too hot outside. So I'm there for a while going along at a steady pace. I could be on a tready with no one else around me using one. But almost every time someone has to side up next to me for a pissing contest and proceed to sprint for about 5 minutes before running out of puff and proceeding to stand around a weights bench instead staring at their phone.

I reckon 75% of people that go to the gym, post photos of themselves on the gram in workout gear looking all swole couldn't even run around the block
Have you ever done the stairmaster? I was introduced to this about 12 years ago by this woman about 55. She was an absolute powerhouse on it. Super fit in most regards as well, but the stairs were her speciality. The calves were spectacular.

I got on once next to her, she told me about her routine. 30 minutes of intervals. She’d do 2 minutes at the highest level and then 2 minutes recovery. 30 minutes. It’s literally the hardest thing I’ve done. Initially I couldn’t do it at her level, I’d put my weight up on my arms taking it off my legs. Eventually I got fitter. Trained with her every week for about two years. I never reached the highest level but I got not far off.

I absolutely recommend it. You’ll get absolutely hammered but you’ll burn so many calories and your fitness sky rockets. So good for the legs as well.

She’d then follow up with 15 minutes walking incline at a fast pace.

I just don’t get it? Stay at home and text. I reckon I touch my phone every 5 minutes or so to flick along to a song in my music that I like best for training. Probably should do a playlist. But that’s it. I don’t touch it to text etc.
I couldn't agree more. You'd be an advanced trainer too so it would be harder for blokes like yourself to put up with such idiocy.

Today there was a fat bitch doing Yoga and stretching and she left the gym as if she was a fitness professional. Yeah.

As if.

I couldn't agree more. You'd be an advanced trainer too so it would be harder for blokes like yourself to put up with such idiocy.

Today there was a fat bitch doing Yoga and stretching and she left the gym as if she was a fitness professional. Yeah.

As if.
I am not sure about advanced but been in gyms for a good 20 years. Know my way around it all and trained a lot.

As if.
Not sure we need the language or the body shaming do we?

It's almost as if not everyone's goal in the gym is to run

It's almost as if not everyone's goal in the gym is to run
You're right - its completely naive of me to assume one form of fitness supersedes others. There are many components to fitness and all contextual to a person's goals and suitability for sport they might play - if they do. Cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, agility, reaction time, power, speed, flexibility etc.

Would be interested to know what people's fitness goals are in this respect. For me its obviously improving cardiovascular endurance as I've had a terrible base my whole life and now I don't play any sport my primary goal is to stay trim, look after my heart as I get older and achieve some endurance milestones that I never have.

Whats everyone's fitness goals? You might have multiple if you're an athlete. Performance in a sport like AFL encompasses maybe more fitness components that any other sport.

I don’t really have any anymore. I worked very hard for many years being sport soecific focused. I just enjoy getting into the gym and going for the odd bike ride it run now.

I like looking good and feeling fit and healthy but at 36 (37 next month) with 3 small kids I’m very happy to just potter around in the gym.

When I started at my gym it was 3-4 people in at 6am. It was great, used whatever you want with barely a soul around. Pull in this morning and there is 15ish cars in the carpark. Almost kept driving to go home!

Thankfully not much waiting around. Did 10 mins on the bike for 1 guy to move through his stuff I'd use.

Went after work once & that was mayhem, not doing that again. Late at night possible (after 9pm) but doesn't sound like a great idea as I like to eat afterwards then likely go straight to bed

You're right - its completely naive of me to assume one form of fitness supersedes others. There are many components to fitness and all contextual to a person's goals and suitability for sport they might play - if they do. Cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, agility, reaction time, power, speed, flexibility etc.

Would be interested to know what people's fitness goals are in this respect. For me its obviously improving cardiovascular endurance as I've had a terrible base my whole life and now I don't play any sport my primary goal is to stay trim, look after my heart as I get older and achieve some endurance milestones that I never have.

Whats everyone's fitness goals? You might have multiple if you're an athlete. Performance in a sport like AFL encompasses maybe more fitness components that any other sport.
Played sport forever so always had that fitness. Completely changed now with injuries and this likely my last season of competitive soccer (if i can even get on field with this dodgy achilles). Resistance training 5-6x a week atm. Likely continue ongoing once team sport is done

When I started at my gym it was 3-4 people in at 6am. It was great, used whatever you want with barely a soul around. Pull in this morning and there is 15ish cars in the carpark. Almost kept driving to go home!

Thankfully not much waiting around. Did 10 mins on the bike for 1 guy to move through his stuff I'd use.

Went after work once & that was mayhem, not doing that again. Late at night possible (after 9pm) but doesn't sound like a great idea as I like to eat afterwards then likely go straight to bed
lol :D

I train 6x a week with a structured Sunday off. It works for me, but in an ideal world I would love to go on Sundays as its almost always empty when I go at 5am, even if there is a few people in there, no one is ever doing legs.

7am is too late for me to start, I might as well have slept in, the gym is already pumping and packed. I cant even imagine what the 5pm crowd is like, must be insane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last week was the first time in probably almost a year where I took off half a week. Didnt even think twice about it, I physically needed a rest and I was cooked from a virus/cold/flu. Not surprisingly the body(joints) felt great with the time off. Still feeling the effects of whatever I had last week, today I did one rep less in all my top sets which was disappointing. Despite that I still managed to run.

For me consistency is the key, body can handle and enjoy going in 6 days a week.

Bottom line, is that I went in, didnt get injured and felt great afterwards. :thumbsu:

I had a week off in Feb but then had to take another when I got sick not long after.

It was kind of funny what lifts got back to normal and when, was a lot of variation in times.
Thats the only issue that I have, taking time off is not only good, it should really be done in balanced program. Two weeks before I got sick, I actually skipped a leg day, as my CNS was cooked.

My concern is that I need a few steady weeks in a row now, as I would hate to get an issue where I had to again take time off.

Well I joined my current gym more because my old gym closed and I didn’t have any goals, feel I need to train more for upstairs than anything else.

Now I’m fitter than I’ve basically ever been at 43, no way would I have set that as a goal.

So now my goal is more maintenance than anything, the only target I really have is 3 sessions per week.

I don’t really have any anymore. I worked very hard for many years being sport soecific focused. I just enjoy getting into the gym and going for the odd bike ride it run now.

I like looking good and feeling fit and healthy but at 36 (37 next month) with 3 small kids I’m very happy to just potter around in the gym.
You have a goal, you just havent listed it or thought deeply thought about it.

Being a positive role model and living as long as you can for your family to support them, you achieve this in one way by consistently training/exercising. Going to the gym, is one way to achieve this.

You have a goal, you just havent listed it or thought deeply thought about it.

Being a positive role model and living as long as you can for your family to support them, you achieve this in one way by consistently training/exercising. Going to the gym, is one way to achieve this.
That feels less like a goal than a broad outcome of living healthy.

I take your point though. I more meant no direct goal, im not aiming to run a marathon or improve my 3km time trial etc or max bench etc.

Well I joined my current gym more because my old gym closed and I didn’t have any goals, feel I need to train more for upstairs than anything else.

Now I’m fitter than I’ve basically ever been at 43, no way would I have set that as a goal.

So now my goal is more maintenance than anything, the only target I really have is 3 sessions per week.
3 days a week would be a good effort and enough if it's consistent.

100% agree, people say that they dont have time etc etc, this is really all it would take.

3 days a week, 45mins to an hour doing weights. Throw in warming up, travel, changing etc. Its really just 1.5 to 2hrs, 3x a week.

If one of those days is on the weekend, two days during the work week should be almost always achievable.

Single people, 100% definitely. I can appreciate those with families and the issues surrounding that.

I missed GF week last year (two sessions) but other than 2 weeks off each Xmas I haven’t missed three a week since the start of last year, I don’t want to get out of the habit.

It’s the most intense training I’ve ever done too, I’m red lining way more than my previous gym I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back