Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

100% agree, people say that they dont have time etc etc, this is really all it would take.

3 days a week, 45mins to an hour doing weights. Throw in warming up, travel, changing etc. Its really just 1.5 to 2hrs, 3x a week.

If one of those days is on the weekend, two days during the work week should be almost always achievable.

Single people, 100% definitely. I can appreciate those with families and the issues surrounding that.
If someone trained smart sticking to the best and most efficient compound movements could probably even do alright with only twice a week?

If someone trained smart sticking to the best and most efficient compound movements could probably even do alright with only twice a week?
I think it depends on your goals and what you want to achieve.

Could definitely be achieved with a "5X5 workout" would be the way to go to at least maintain some level of strength.

Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, OHP, Barbell Row.

If time/lifestyle was an issue for me, I would do this twice a week, spaced out to allow for physical and CNS recovery too.

Kram its an interesting point you raised about training smart and efficient. I have thought about it previously if my lifestyle circumstances changed where time was an issue/factor, what I would do and ironically it is the 5X5 workout is what I would turn to, just to at least try and maintain my strength levels. I would definitely throw in chin ups and pull ups, as Ive come too far to let that go.

100% agree, people say that they dont have time etc etc, this is really all it would take.

3 days a week, 45mins to an hour doing weights. Throw in warming up, travel, changing etc. Its really just 1.5 to 2hrs, 3x a week.

If one of those days is on the weekend, two days during the work week should be almost always achievable.

Single people, 100% definitely. I can appreciate those with families and the issues surrounding that.
So ive got 3 kids (toddler and twin newborns).

You have "time" i always make time for gym/training mostly because if i dont im a worse father and husband.

Im sure there are probably people who genuinely dont have the time but mostly its because you are prioritizing something else. To be clear, that is COMPLETELY fine, but dont claim its PURELY because you have no time.

Also, i can smash out a decent little circuit in 30, you can scrap a warm up and do a 5 minute cool down. If you REALLY, REALLY want to do it, you can find 90-100 minutes a week.

Kram its an interesting point you raised about training smart and efficient. I have thought about it previously if my lifestyle circumstances changed where time was an issue/factor, what I would do and ironically it is the 5X5 workout is what I would turn to, just to at least try and maintain my strength levels. I would definitely throw in chin ups and pull ups, as Ive come too far to let that go.
My current training is all about maximizing time efficiency.

So its all circuits, free weight work, keeping HR up. 5-7 minute circuit, 4-6 sets depending on the time ive got.

Its probably the most functionally fit ive ever been tbh.

If i have longer it extend the circuit with more stations or whatever.

When you have to tweak stuff if you have some knowledge its easy to do.

Ive said it before but ive had colleagues and friends ask for my workouts and ive sent them, theyre ALL shocked by how simple (even boring) and short they are.

So ive got 3 kids (toddler and twin newborns).

You have "time" i always make time for gym/training mostly because if i dont im a worse father and husband.

Im sure there are probably people who genuinely dont have the time but mostly its because you are prioritizing something else. To be clear, that is COMPLETELY fine, but dont claim its PURELY because you have no time.

Also, i can smash out a decent little circuit in 30, you can scrap a warm up and do a 5 minute cool down. If you REALLY, REALLY want to do it, you can find 90-100 minutes a week.
Yeah I would also guess that they are able to still watch 10+ hours of TV a week, gaming, social media.. I'd rather people just be honest a say I really can't be bothered.

My brother is the busiest person I know (although he still exaggerates) and even he will always shuffle things to fit in 1 hour swim when I visit on sat and sun.

"I dont have the time" is generally just this thing is on the fringe of my priorities. Which is fine really. Everyone would have something like that

The great thing about morning training is that I would have been just sleeping anyway, so it doesn't encroach into my daily life at all, afternoon training did.

And a night out on the piss will stop you training in the morning too, so it might limit that sort of behaviour too.

There's heaps more reasons but the morning sessions are the key for me.

Stronglifts has added a few variations for pretty much all these scenarios.

People definitely overcomplicate it at times;

Squat / Deadlift
Bench / OHP
Row / Pullup

If all you ever did was those 6 exercises you'd cover most bases IMO. Then you can do a variation of them if you want some variety e.g. DL / RDL or Squat / Bulgarian

Add a bit of core stability work, some mobility work, and some cardio work and you're a pretty well rounded human being fitness wise.

Also things that annoy me;

DOMS

Completely my own fault.

Squat session Sunday for the first time in a couple of weeks.
Hard run session Monday.
Tuesday sad quads.
Mate. I love leg DOMS. Nothing better than tired, sore, fatigued hammies and quads. And glutes. When you go to sit on the throne and it takes a mighty effort to hinge those hips.

That’s livin Owen

Mate. I love leg DOMS. Nothing better than tired, sore, fatigued hammies and quads. And glutes. When you go to sit on the throne and it takes a mighty effort to hinge those hips.

That’s livin Owen
Oooft.

I mean I love knowing I’ve gone hard but the stairs and throne the day after a brutal leg day are not enjoyable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have managed to resist the temptation to take a mini chocolate egg from the bowl at the gym's front desk so far this week.

When I next see my friend working behind the counter I'm going to point to it and say "That's entrapment!".

My seat at work is right near the snack cupboard, geez there’s a lot of s**t in there, luckily we have a fruit bowl too

There's bags of Twix, Mars Bars, Crunchies etc and also bags of chips, you've got your Doritos, your Thins, Pringles and other types of salty potato snacks. Long black (coffee) and a plum for me this morn cause I'm hard.
Mars bar wont hurt you.

A Mars a day helps you work rest and play

I eat really well until there's a morning tea at work. Known to knock off entire plates of leftover pastries

Couldn't sit next to a snack cupboard. If junk isn't around, I dont miss it but if it's there it's getting demolished. I dont buy any for home

I eat really well until there's a morning tea at work. Known to knock off entire plates of leftover pastries

Couldn't sit next to a snack cupboard. If junk isn't around, I dont miss it but if it's there it's getting demolished. I dont buy any for home
Its exactly the reason why I dont buy any junk food whatsoever as "snacks". I will demolish them within a day or day two.

Ironically for the first time last Saturday I broke my trend, I purchased some Whittakers Chocolate to eat while being a "degenerate" for the Dees vs Hawks game, but because I won some bets, I got distracted and totally forgot about them. Its now Wednesday, but damn its been hard. However I promised myself to enjoy the weekends only, but during the week to be strict and mindful. This approach keeps me on track and also helps fuel my workouts with good nutritious food.

Definitely.

You could do squats and deadlifts once a week, and if you spaced out your days could easily do bench, OH press, and rows twice a week.
There is a strong caveat here, it assumes you perform the movements correctly and within a few reps of failure to really get the benefits of "less training" in conjunction with a good balanced diet and sleep. Definitely you can get away with just a couple of full body workouts per week.

Also things that annoy me;

DOMS

Completely my own fault.

Squat session Sunday for the first time in a couple of weeks.
Hard run session Monday.
Tuesday sad quads.
Glory be, thats what I did just a few days ago. First time in months and yes I was hurting.

DOMS would have been insane, but I resorted to pharmaceutical means to resolve the pain.

The great thing about morning training is that I would have been just sleeping anyway, so it doesn't encroach into my daily life at all, afternoon training did.

And a night out on the piss will stop you training in the morning too, so it might limit that sort of behaviour too.

There's heaps more reasons but the morning sessions are the key for me.
As someone who only trains in the morning, I have found this approach gives me the most discipline and balanced approach. In order for me to be hitting the gym at around 5am, it means getting to sleep early and planning/preparing everything well in advance.

At the end of the day, the best time to go to the gym, is the time that will lead you to being most consistent in going and a part of your lifestyle. Having trained at various times of the day, early morning, lunchtime and in the early evening. For me the best was after lunch. Its just so peaceful and quiet and you have the gym basically entirely to yourself. Mind you I experience this on weekends at my gym so I get the motivational benefit to haul my arse in on a Saturday at 5am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back