Politics & Government Is 'Jew' an offensive word?

Is it?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• In some contexts.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was told by someone (non-Jewish) the other day that it isn't appropriate to say somebody is a Jew. They should be called a 'Jewish person'. According to this guy, 'Jew' is the equivalent of calling somebody a 'Jap' or a 'Paki'.

Is he having me on, or is this actually something I should be avoiding?

I think like all things it depends on context. "Black" isn't offensive in itself but can be if you put the right words around it.

I think Jew is the same- can be used neutrally or to offend.

"Jew" does sound kind of crass though... Jewish just sounds better.

*I know no Jews & am basing this on absolutely nothing.

Unless it's preceded by a derogatory adjective (eg. "dirty Jew"), I don't see any problem with it.
I hope the mods don't take that post out of context btw

I was told by someone (non-Jewish) the other day that it isn't appropriate to say somebody is a Jew. They should be called a 'Jewish person'. According to this guy, 'Jew' is the equivalent of calling somebody a 'Jap' or a 'Paki'.

Is he having me on, or is this actually something I should be avoiding?
Jew is not offensive. Nor is Paki, Jap, or Abo. They are merely abbreviations. Nothing more, nothing less.

Use the c-word after it and the abbreviation is still not offensive. What is offensive is not the abbreviation but the fact you are linking that race to being c-nuts for no other reason except their race.

Jew is not offensive. Nor is Paki, Jap, or Abo. They are merely abbreviations. Nothing more, nothing less.

Say Paki in the UK and you might think a bit different. Over there it is extremely offensive. When I was over there in the 90's I was talking about cricket and this Pommy bloke of Indian descent, said Paki in the same way I'd say Aussie and he basically said, mate, you just can't say that. I explained I only meant it as an abbreviation and no malice intended, he ws cool, but he just said over there it was pretty much the equivilant of Ni99er.

Say Paki in the UK and you might think a bit different. Over there it is extremely offensive. When I was over there in the 90's I was talking about cricket and this Pommy bloke of Indian descent, said Paki in the same way I'd say Aussie and he basically said, mate, you just can't say that. I explained I only meant it as an abbreviation and no malice intended, he ws cool, but he just said over there it was pretty much the equivilant of Ni99er.
I lived in UK in 90s as well. It's not offensive. Not sure why you believe this guy that it is the equivalent of ni99er.

Paki is an abbreviation of a longer word. Ni99er is not.

Just because a bunch of peanuts think an abbreviation is offensive, and just because some people find it offensive, doesn't mean it actually is.

Any of you who voted that this word, or for that matter Abo, Leb, Paki, etc care to explain why it is offensive?

What do these words mean? The only thing I can see they mean is Leb = Lebanese. Paki = Pakistani etc.

Sand ni99er, towel head, head wobbler, golliwog, camel jockey, curry muncher etc. All offensive.

Personally I can't see the difference between calling someone a Paki c-nut or a Pakistani c-nut. Both equally offensive and it's not either version of their race description that is offensive, but rather the link between being of a certain race and being a c-nut.

I lived in UK in 90s as well. It's not offensive. Not sure why you believe this guy that it is the equivalent of ni99er.

Paki is an abbreviation of a longer word. Ni99er is not.

Just because a bunch of peanuts think an abbreviation is offensive, and just because some people find it offensive, doesn't mean it actually is.

Beg to differ. Historically is has been a racist taunt or a put down. Just because you don't thnk it offensive or a mere abbreviation, does not make it so.

I dare you to go down to Redfern and start calling people Abos, or Bradford and start calling people Pakis. Your cries of "mate, it's just an abbreviation" might stop by the time the second punch landed.

Beg to differ. Historically is has been a racist taunt or a put down.
Not true. "Paki c-nut" or "F***ing Paki" etc has been a historical put down. How is that different if it had have been "Pakistani c-nut" or "f***ing Pakistani"?

The word Paki or Pakistani isn't the racist bit. It's the association with race and put down that is the problem.

It's a shame people like you can't see it and only further give creedence to this misjustice.

Just because you don't thnk it offensive or a mere abbreviation, does not make it so.
bzzzzzt. Wrong. Just plain wrong. Paki is an abbreviation. It has no other meaning whatsoever. And if you think it does, please define that meaning.

I dare you to go down to Redfern and start calling people Abos, or Bradford and start calling people Pakis. Your cries of "mate, it's just an abbreviation" might stop by the time the second punch landed.
<shakes head>

All you're doing is perpetuating such stupidity. There is nothing wrong with it and until people like yourselfcan see it, we have no hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though 'Abo' is just shortening of Aboriginal it is almost always used in a derogatory manner IMO.
Can you give examples?

let me save some time and do them for you:

"You useless Abo"
"f***ing Abo"

Right? That's what you were referring to, right?

So please tell me the difference between that and:

"You useless Aborigine"
"f***ing Aborigine"

Are you saying that the word "aborigine" is racist?

Not true. "Paki c-nut" or "F***ing Paki" etc has been a historical put down. How is that different if it had have been "Pakistani c-nut" or "f***ing Pakistani"?

The word Paki or Pakistani isn't the racist bit. It's the association with race and put down that is the problem.

It's a shame people like you can't see it and only further give creedence to this misjustice.

bzzzzzt. Wrong. Just plain wrong. Paki is an abbreviation. It has no other meaning whatsoever. And if you think it does, please define that meaning.

<shakes head>

All you're doing is perpetuating such stupidity. There is nothing wrong with it and until people like yourselfcan see it, we have no hope.

BB - I don't really care. My racism is probably at the high end for some latte sipping greens voter and at the low to middle end for the average West Australian (though I'm not West Australian or a latte sipping greens voter). I'm just talking reality. The majority of Aboriginal people would take offence to being called an Abo. The majority of British people of Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi descent tke offence to being called a Paki. That is the reality. No dancing around it. Ni99er is a derivation of Negro or Negroid which is a race of people, not quite an abbreviation, but close enough. Are you denying Ni99er is not derogatory?

The majority of Aboriginal people would take offence to being called an Abo.
And that won't change with people like you around.

It's laughable that white people think the problem with calling someone a "f***ing Abo c-nut" is the part about using the word Abo.

The majority of British people of Indian, or Bangladeshi descent tke offence to being called a Paki.
I personally would take offence to being called a Kiwi.

That is the reality. No dancing around it. Ni99er is a derivation of Negro or Negroid which is a race of people, not quite an abbreviation, but close enough. Are you denying Ni99er is not derogatory?
It's not an abreviation.;)

Firstly, it's about context. I have Jewish family and friends - in fact my best mate is Jewish on his mum's side, so therefore apparently totally Jewish according to tradition, and on a personal note my (Jewish) grandma and her family were forced to flee Poland in the late 1930s. I call him/refer to my friend as a Jew and he does so to himself, but because we're friends and use it amongst friends it's not weird or offensive. And I never use it as an insult, I just use it as a description.

Secondly, to the person saying 'Paki c***' is the same as 'Pakistani c***' ... um.. yes. Fair point. I think it's the second word that you're basing your case on though. We're discussing the use of the singular, first word as a potentially insulting word on it's own.

"That guy's a Paki." vs "That guy is Pakistani."

Am I the only person that sees a difference?

F
Secondly, to the person saying 'Paki c***' is the same as 'Pakistani c***' ... um.. yes. Fair point.
It sure is;)

I think it's the second word that you're basing your case on though.
Exactly what I have been saying and trying to get other to understand. If someone calls some a "Paki c***" it's not the word Paki that is racist, but rather the inference that he's a c*** because of he is Pakistani.

Most people's argument is "It's all about context and using it along with the c-word is racist". Well, that's not correct as explained above.

We're discussing the use of the singular, first word as a potentially insulting word on it's own.
Not sure why you are telling me this? Clearly I've got a handle on it. I've had this debate 10 times and from experience I know most people can't separate the two words. And this is why they see the abbreviation as racist.

"That guy's a Paki." vs "That guy is Pakistani."

Am I the only person that sees a difference?
Exactly the same if you ask me. Both are just stating another person's race.

Unless of course Pakistani means "person from Pakistan" and Paki means something else like "rooter of male dogs". But I'm quite confident Paki does in fact mean "person from pakistan".

I call the Hebes, "die Juden" pronounced - 'dee you-den.' Doing that never seemed to bother any Jews I've met.

political correctness (which doesn't deserve to be capitalized even at the begining of a sentence) is a social disease kind of like gonorrhea or syphillis, but instead of making your dick rot it makes people feel too guilty to express their opinions. Best way in the world to stifle a society which otherwise should enjoy the free exchange of ideas. Entirely evil and I don't subscribe to it.

It used to be that words such as *, moron and idiot were medical terms and legitimate clinical diagnoses. Then these words took on a negative connotation because people thought it was bad to be a *. It wasn't the *s that were bad, it became the word. Now a medical term is a "bad" word like ****. What the **** for? Next, *s began to be called mentally challenged. That term became "bad" and you couldn't say that anymore. I don't know what they're calling *s now and I don't care. By the time I find out the new word, they'll change it because it's "bad."

Words can't be instinsically bad or good all on their own. Words are noises or squiggly lines on paper or screen. Things like "bad" and "good" are in your heart. If you think the word * is bad then you think *s themselves are bad. That's how all this pc bullshit got started. And that goes a long way in outing the politically correct *s out there.

Exactly what I have been saying and trying to get other to understand. If someone calls some a "Paki c***" it's not the word Paki that is racist, but rather the inference that he's a c*** because of he is Pakistani.

You just don't get it. "Paki" is offensive to many, many people. Just because you don't understand doesn't make it so. It's just bizarre the way you're adamant that the word paki (or abo) is just an abbreviation. Dine in a Pakistani restaurant in the UK and casually ask "can one of you Pakis get me another shami kebab?" and see what reaction you get. By your logic they should not be offended at all.

A word carries with it a history, and the history shapes the way people use and perceive the word.

Go tell a smiling bikie he is looking gay.

Walk into a north Queensland pub and start calling people Abos.

You just don't get it.
Er, no, it is you who doesn't get and the more people like you keep bending over to this, the more you will perpetuate it.

It's just bizarre the way you're adamant that the word paki (or abo) is just an abbreviation.
Yet you can't define their meaning?

Dine in a Pakistani restaurant in the UK and casually ask "can one of you Pakis get me another shami kebab?" and see what reaction you get. By your logic they should not be offended at all.
Equally as offensive:

"can one of you Pakistanis get me another shami kebab?"

The offense isn't in calling them a Paki, but the need to bring race into it at all. If you have to address someone by their race you are inferring they are different.

The inoffensive way of saying it:

"Can I please have another shami kebab?"

A word carries with it a history, and the history shapes the way people use and perceive the word.
History can change and should on this occasion. Won't happen until people like you have the ability to see this for what it is. You see Paki as racist because it was often used in derogatory sentences. But this is false association as has been explained.

People used to think Leb was racist for the same reason. Now people use it all the time. It's not racist and no one thinks it is. People like you are stopping progression with mere abbreviations like Paki and Abo.

Go tell a smiling bikie he is looking gay.
Totally irrelevant and out of context.

Walk into a north Queensland pub and start calling people Abos.
Why would I do that? What's laughable is you actually think it's any different to calling them aborigines. The racial content is marginalising by race, not whether you are using the word aborigine or it's abbreviation.

Clearly it's you who just doesn't get it. You've been bent over by the PC brigade because you are scared at offending anyone. You have bought into it hook, line, and sinker. Personally I think you should man up and do what is rational and right - chances are that these words will become accepted for what they really are - abbreviations.

Back