Roast Is the zone by design?

Remove this Banner Ad

Marksup

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The last 70 seconds of that game is a reflection of how we defend the ground. Is it by design to allow them to get it to half back before forcing them to kick long down the line? It seems that way.

So I pose the question, what is the supposed benefit of this? I cannot see one strategic positive of allowing them to move the ball 50m freely then finally forcing the long kick to land 100m from our goal. My maths says it would be better to force the long kick from the kick out to 70m from our goal. Would this not make it easier to get a re-entry into our forward line?

Am I being cynical or should I put my hand up to coach?

I agree, it doesn’t make sense. We routinely kick to a contest while the opponent is allowed to chip kick to the 50 metre line before we decide to match up. I’m not sure it’s fitness either as it seems to last the whole match

Our players had to be smarter and work harder in the last 2 minutes. We were winning 1v1s all over the ground and had momentum. There should’ve been 0 uncontested marks at the end of the game. That’s work rate.

Even still if the coaches elected to keep the zone knowing the time on the clock, it’s dumb coaching.

Just play man on man and let’s see who can play. I watched Port v Pies last week in probably the game of the year play man on man all game. Great stuff. Zoning is for teams that have already proven their effort, not for hiding lazy footballers.

Zone isn't supposed to be just standing around. Its supposed to be hard work with constant communication and effort. We just spread out and stand there.

Zoning off after we kicked the point is about as much proof that anyone would ever need that we have zero on field leadership.

None.

The coach can do nothing about it at that stage of a game and it appeared that not a single player understood what was about to happen if they didn’t go man on man and force a contest.

If you ever needed proof that as a collective we do not smart football this is it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back