Sports Is there a *legal* service where you can watch AFL and NRL in the U.S.?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 4, 2020
Tampa, FL, USA
AFL Club
GWS
I feel like this belongs in either the AFL or NRL forums, but it could be argued it's off topic in both, so it's here for now, I guess.

I know about WatchAFL (I have it) and I know about WatchNRL (I don't have it).

Next year, I'd like to have both — at least, the services both offer. I don't think, however, it makes sense to pay $300 total or whatever it'd wind up being for a full year of two services (although my WatchAFL will renew in August, so that might make it easier to fork over another subscription fee to Fox, since I'd be subscribing to WatchNRL in February or thereabouts).

Is there a streaming service available to people overseas that offers both sports, or at least Fox Footy and Fox League?

I feel like this belongs in either the AFL or NRL forums, but it could be argued it's off topic in both, so it's here for now, I guess.

I know about WatchAFL (I have it) and I know about WatchNRL (I don't have it).

Next year, I'd like to have both — at least, the services both offer. I don't think, however, it makes sense to pay $300 total or whatever it'd wind up being for a full year of two services (although my WatchAFL will renew in August, so that might make it easier to fork over another subscription fee to Fox, since I'd be subscribing to WatchNRL in February or thereabouts).

Is there a streaming service available to people overseas that offers both sports, or at least Fox Footy and Fox League?
Maybe Kayo sports and a VPN set to Australia

The AFL has a number of international broadcast partners who show games in overseas countries, including Australia Plus (Asia/Pacific), BT Sport (UK), CCTV5 (China), Sky Television (New Zealand), Claro Sports (Mexico/Latin America), ESPN (Caribbean), Fox Sports (USA), Orbit Showtime Network (Middle East and North Africa), TSN (Canada) and SuperSport (Africa).

For the full list of international broadcasters, AFL.com.au is the place to visit.

Having lived in the US for a few years I'd say WatchAFL is very good, but it is a rip off. Kayo is much cheaper over an AFL season, and you can watch replays on it, which is essential for living in the US given timezones. Even full-fledged Foxtel over 6 months would be a comparable price.

At least the quality is good though, and you can watch replays straight away or even just start the game an hour delayed if needed (years ago you had to either watch live or wait hours or days for the replay to go up).

As for combining NRL and AFL, I don't believe it exists. The official NRL one used to be free back in the day.

You'll also get some AFL games on Fox Sports 2 or Fox Soccer live every now and then. Don't know of any NRL.

Also I don't know if you like cricket, but WillowHD is very good for 10 bucks a month. Can also be like 5 bucks a month if you package it in with Sling or similar.

Having lived in the US for a few years I'd say WatchAFL is very good, but it is a rip off. Kayo is much cheaper over an AFL season, and you can watch replays on it, which is essential for living in the US given timezones. Even full-fledged Foxtel over 6 months would be a comparable price.

At least the quality is good though, and you can watch replays straight away or even just start the game an hour delayed if needed (years ago you had to either watch live or wait hours or days for the replay to go up).

As for combining NRL and AFL, I don't believe it exists. The official NRL one used to be free back in the day.

You'll also get some AFL games on Fox Sports 2 or Fox Soccer live every now and then. Don't know of any NRL.

Also I don't know if you like cricket, but WillowHD is very good for 10 bucks a month. Can also be like 5 bucks a month if you package it in with Sling or similar.
The problem with Kayo, because I've looked into that, is you have to be in Australia to use it. Add the cost of a reliable VPN, and I'm not certain it's going to be that much more cost efficient than just adding WatchNRL to my WatchAFL.

FS2 and FSP sometimes show NRL, but they tend to favor AFL when given the option. To be totally honest, FS2 seems to favor showing motor cross replays from six months ago over either sport; that's a large reason why I ultimately caved and got WatchAFL. Fox doesn't really seem to care. (As an aside, I don't see either FS2 or FSP being long for this world anyway; NBC just announced they're shutting down their cable network by the end of the year and it actually had popular content like the EPL and NHL.)

I actually think my parents get WillowHD on their cable package. I know I've seen it or something similar to it when flipping through the higher sports channels. I've been meaning to get into cricket, too, so that's a good reminder that that channel is somewhat accessible to me already.

The problem with Kayo, because I've looked into that, is you have to be in Australia to use it. Add the cost of a reliable VPN, and I'm not certain it's going to be that much more cost efficient than just adding WatchNRL to my WatchAFL.

FS2 and FSP sometimes show NRL, but they tend to favor AFL when given the option. To be totally honest, FS2 seems to favor showing motor cross replays from six months ago over either sport; that's a large reason why I ultimately caved and got WatchAFL. Fox doesn't really seem to care. (As an aside, I don't see either FS2 or FSP being long for this world anyway; NBC just announced they're shutting down their cable network by the end of the year and it actually had popular content like the EPL and NHL.)

I actually think my parents get WillowHD on their cable package. I know I've seen it or something similar to it when flipping through the higher sports channels. I've been meaning to get into cricket, too, so that's a good reminder that that channel is somewhat accessible to me already.
Kayo and

theres other ones around

Remove this Banner Ad

Back