Opinion Is Ugle-Hagan the first ever ‘strategic’ #1 pick?

It was a tongue firmly in cheek joke MOC, no need to get the panties in a twist... go for it re Marcus Adams, water off a ducks back.

A “joke” you’ve regularly made with limited laughs with this account and your previous one. We get it, you don’t rate schache, but what relevance did he have to this thread?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
A “joke” you’ve regularly made with limited laughs with this account and your previous one. We get it, you don’t rate schache, but what relevance did he have to this thread?
You're right I'm no Bill Burr, wrong on the other though, I have never had another account on BF.

Before JUH went at number 1 Josh Schache at 2 in 2015 is the most recent top 2-3 draft selection KPF, others this decade have been Jonathan Patton(pick 1, 2011), Tom Boyd(pick 1, 2013), Paddy McCartin(pick 1, 2014).

Personally I think given a good run with injury JUH will be an absolute gun, Max and Ben King at pick 4 and 6 also look like they are going to be very good KPF selections.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
You're right I'm no Bill Burr, wrong on the other though, I have never had another account on BF.

Before JUH went at number 1 Josh Schache at 2 in 2015 is the most recent top 2-3 draft selection KPF, others this decade have been Jonathan Patton(pick 1, 2011), Tom Boyd(pick 1, 2013), Paddy McCartin(pick 1, 2014).

Personally I think given a good run with injury JUH will be an absolute gun, Max and Ben King at pick 4 and 6 also look like they are going to be very good KPF selections.

Interesting that a bloke who has been retired for a year or more is actually the best performed KPF on that list.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting that a bloke who has been retired for a year or more is actually the best performed KPF on that list.
Patrick McCartin: 35 x Games, 34 x Goals, 317 x Disposals, 230 x Kicks, 87 x Handballs.

Thomas Boyd: 61 x Games, 50 x Goals, 608 x Disposals, 300 x Kicks, 308 x Handballs.

Jonathon Patton: 95 x Games, 133 x Goals, 1,033 x Disposals, 669 x Kicks, 334 x Handballs.

Joshua Schache: 56 x Games, 68 x Goals, 551 x Disposals, 338 x Kicks, 213 x Handballs.

They are not renaming the Coleman Medal anytime soon.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Considering Callow is statistically better than Ugle-Hagan, I think the Crows really trolled the Bulldogs very very hard.
And it seems like your club trolled themselves by failing to draft Callow and head into next year with the worst key forward stocks in the country.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Patrick McCartin: 35 x Games, 34 x Goals, 317 x Disposals, 230 x Kicks, 87 x Handballs.

Thomas Boyd: 61 x Games, 50 x Goals, 608 x Disposals, 300 x Kicks, 308 x Handballs.

Jonathon Patton: 95 x Games, 133 x Goals, 1,033 x Disposals, 669 x Kicks, 334 x Handballs.

Joshua Schache: 56 x Games, 68 x Goals, 551 x Disposals, 338 x Kicks, 213 x Handballs.

They are not renaming the Coleman Medal anytime soon.

No, I would say not :cool:

DroppingTheBall

All Australian
Jul 12, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looks like there was no debate about the thread topic, and so, probably, Ugle-Hagan is the first ever ‘strategic’ #1 pick.

And he probably knows it.

IMO it’s a pity that the draft rules make this sort of thing possible.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Looks like there was no debate about the thread topic, and so, probably, Ugle-Hagan is the first ever ‘strategic’ #1 pick.

The strategic option is the draft the best player in the draft. Which was Ugle. What the crowds ****ed up and so did North is letting Logan slip

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Was the best kid in the draft, picked at 1 on talent. Dont believe our bullshit. The only way he was ahead of Thilthorpe on our order is if geared locals ahead of talent very heavily.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Adelaide bid on pick 1 in Ugle, so 17 other clubs would also pass on James Rowe

But it was Strategic, Same mentality inside the club is why Ricciuto is sitting at the helm, The club still drinks its own Bathwater and its sad tp see some supporters also do so

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Adelaide bid on pick 1 in Ugle, so 17 other clubs would also pass on James Rowe

But it was Strategic, Same mentality inside the club is why Ricciuto is sitting at the helm, The club still drinks its own Bathwater and its sad tp see some supporters also do so

I don't expect our posters to call it out, ignoring it is ok too, but basking in it and starting threads, we've a few of those types. That said, the only AFL quality department our club has had the last few years is the talent ID crew, so when Ogilvie talks, he does deserve our attention. But he's still a club employee and would be required to spin s**t if told to.

piesaregreat

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Every time a club makes a bid on another clubs F/S or academy player is strategic. If they didnt then clubs would use their final pick

When James Rowe finishes his career with less than 20 games and is back getting a kick at Thebby between shifts as a personal trainer or a brickie’s labourer I’m sure Crows fans will still laud the strategy

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was the best kid in the draft, picked at 1 on talent. Dont believe our bullshit. The only way he was ahead of Thilthorpe on our order is if geared locals ahead of talent very heavily.
Alot of this has been taken out of context.
AFC said they rated RT number one out of the gettable players in the draft. Pretty sure Hamish has said JUH was thr best talent in the draft.
Hamish also said RT was the best SA kid all through his jr years.
They knew we weren't going to get JUH but bid on him to take away Bullies later picks as they also had an interest in Rowe.
It kinda like how we traded up with Collingwood to get Brayden Cook because we knew clubs before our next pick would have taken him.
The whole draft is full of strategies to get the players clubs want.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Why does anyone care? Ugle Hagan is the most overrated #1 of all time. No exposed form in over 12 months and before that it was what 20 goals in a season? And this is the next buddy? At a club that can't develop KPP for s**t? Lol

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why does anyone care? Ugle Hagan is the most overrated #1 of all time. No exposed form in over 12 months and before that it was what 20 goals in a season? And this is the next buddy? At a club that can't develop KPP for sh*t? Lol

He kicked 24 goals in 9 games of footy as a bottom ager. For comparison, as a bottom ager Max King kicked 10 goals in 7 games.

What a bizarre rant.

Last edited:
Just wondering if it has ever happened before. That the club with the #1 pick doesn’t pick the player that they rated #1 (that was Thilthorpe in 2020), but reads out another name for purely strategic reasons.

Is this the first time?

I know that being #1 pick is a bit of a mixed blessing anyway, but the way it happened this year must leave JUH feeling a bit used, “we only called your name so we could get someone else later down the list”. It usually means “you are the best kid in the country”.

But I’m mainly interested in the historical curiosity.
So you strategically took $10k away from your top pick?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So you strategically took $10k away from your top pick?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

In the lead up, Adelaide were publicly adamant that pick 1 would be for the best kid in the land.

Nek minnit they have a long form article written up directly after the draft selling the narrative to their fans that the local kid was their preference all along and they only bid on JUH in the hope that a speculative mature aged small forward would fall down the draft order and they could pick him before the Bulldogs (who may or may not have even been interested).

Ooookay.

Back