It's not over yet, warns Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking this is how Jobe is going to end up.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg
Not if he takes AOD

Great post, and real world no strict liability on behalf of the players, more on the employers to provide a safe work place.

Which due to the Workplace Victoria fines, Essendon has already been proved to be an unsafe workplace during that period.

Which due to the Workplace Victoria fines, Essendon has already been proved to be an unsafe workplace during that period.

Yes they have a duty of care to ensure their "staff" are not harmed in any way.

So When Jab Watson claims they are not guilty is he claiming that they didn't take TB-4 or that because they were given it without their knowledge that they should not be found guilty? Cause CAS found that they were administered TB-4 to the level of proof required and the central tenet of the WADA doping scheme is that the athletes are ultimately responsible for what goes in their own bodies. So either way he seems delusional. Or is it just PR crap.

They just say "we've done nothing wrong" which is kinda like you askin me how I am and I tell you about the weather.

Exactly what people are forgetting is the players were found responsible for what they did.
the players can no longer claim no fault.

they can only claim, they were coerced or that there was a systemic problem with drug use at the EFC. (if they're going after the AFL) they can't claim negligence against the AFL because they signed the consent forms.

Yes the AFL has a duty of care to its employees, but considering the AFL provides drug education programs as well providing contact numbers from wada to double check anything the players are given a website and a number and email addresses of asada to double check what's legal and whats not. the AFL can show they had satisfactory safeguards on offer to the players.

additionally the duty of care for employees goes both ways. as an employee you have a responsibility to provide any relevant information to your employer regarding any possibly OH&S violations. none of the players contacted AFL HQ or the integrity unit about the consent forms to see if they were legit. at no time during the 2 year investigation did they approach anyone at the AFL and admit what they did. Instead they hid the information from the AFL and repeatedly omitted any details of misconduct.

By challenging this all the way through the AFL has all it needs to show it was the players and the EFC who covered everything up and the afl did all it could get to the bottom of it. (for those wondering yes you should be reading this as sarcasm, but remember its not what you know its what you can show)

Now I'm guessing here, but considering the AFL's tribunal said that there wasn't enough evidence to convict the players of drug use let alone convict the EFC as having played an active part in the drug cheating problem. I can't see this getting up in an actual court where the burden of proof is much, much higher (although if it did **** me ASADA and WADA all over again, this time after the club itself) i simply don't see how you can nab the AFL for negligence, given the safeguards it has in place, which none of the players at the EFC took advantage of.

for mine any negligence case will need to be directed at the EFC.

Imagine the precedence being set if athletes could sue their governing body when they get caught using PED's :eek: WTF

You know, I could just about forgive anybody involved in this saga if they genuinely and truly came out and apologised with real sincerity and owned up to their mistakes. A simple "We really screwed up, we're very, very sorry but we take responsibility for our actions, and now we want to move on with our lives" would be fine…but the ongoing arrogance and denial and the ego's of the players and of Hird til this day is actually sickening. I don't even care about whether they think they did or didn't take TB4, even just apologising for the lying, for the covering up and for the terrible leadership would be something at least.

But no, I guess that would take genuine courage and bravery.

Not many drug cheats do that unfortunately, it's all deny deny deny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlike a lot of Essendon supporters I'm not ignorant of what happened at Essendon. I am against it and will not follow them until they are a respectable club again. BUT I expect opposing supporters to show the same level of realism by accepting the players were not at fault. The club is at fault. Several players from other club have openly stated they would have trusted and followed the same directions. Pull your heads in.

Unlike a lot of Essendon supporters I'm not ignorant of what happened at Essendon. I am against it and will not follow them until they are a respectable club again. BUT I expect opposing supporters to show the same level of realism by accepting the players were not at fault. The club is at fault. Several players from other club have openly stated they would have trusted and followed the same directions. Pull your heads in.
They were at fault.

They deliberately omitted information to drug testers, and lied about the whereabouts of Dank.

They could have said no, like a few did, yet they didn't.

The club might have more blame, but the players were at significant fault.

They were at fault.

They deliberately omitted information to drug testers, and lied about the whereabouts of Dank.

They could have said no, like a few did, yet they didn't.

The club might have more blame, but the players were at significant fault.
Deliberately omitted information or didn't know information?
Lied about the whereabouts or didn't know the whereabouts?
They could have said no, but like 95% of other clubs players they didn't and wouldn't (opposing clubs players have openly said they would have followed the same directions)

They could have said no, but like 95% of other clubs players they didn't and wouldn't (opposing clubs players have openly said)

They knew that they had been receiving injections of Thymo. Players are required to inform ASADA of any suppliments they have been taking. No Essendon player did this. Why?

They could have said no, but like 95% of other clubs players they didn't and wouldn't (opposing clubs players have openly said they would have followed the same directions)
Read the judgement. It's all there.

They knew that they had been receiving injections of Thymo. Players are required to inform ASADA of any suppliments they have been taking. No Essendon player did this. Why?
Put yourself in their shoes, it is their job to play not worry about the medical staffs job.

yeah why didn't they write down thymomodulin, thats what they used as on the Spreadsheet, A3 piece of paper

Unfortunately, the players appear to have been part of it.

I do suspect that they were stupidly naive though, instead of willing players; they were told to keep it a secret because they didn't want other Clubs latching on, not because it's banned.

Put yourself in their shoes, it is their job to play not worry about the medical staffs job.
As elite level sportsmen it is "their job" to follow the anti-doping code and regulations.

One of those regulations is reporting and declaring all injections and supplements.

While I commend you for having an open mind I would ask you why Jobe Watson told fox footy in 2013 that he knew about the "good Thymosin" yet chose, with his teammates, to hide this "safe and legal" drug from ASADA for a period of months.

If he really thought it was the "good"
Thymosin, why hide it?

Elite athletes are HAMMERED about being responsible for what goes into their bodies; they aren't blameless.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the cult of Hird that caused the players to throw caution to the wind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back