Other Jack Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

Not because it is inaccurate, but because I read it after I just woke up.
Clearly the article's fault.
No its your fault. Fonzi you were wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwrong.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-s...p/news-story/46472f61060221f561feab8f0ccc61a7
HE was already Australia’s fastest boy, now Jack Hale can also claim to be Australia’s quickest junior sprinter of all time.

The Tasmanian has broken the Australian under-20 100m record, running a 10.21 second (+1.6 m/s) race in Germany.

The time is the equal 11th quickest run by an Australian sprinter of any age of all time and sees Hale take the under 20 record that was set by World Junior Championship teammate Trae Williams at the Australian Junior Championships in March when the Queenslander ran 10.27 seconds.

It was also just 0.5 of a second off the Rio Olympic qualifying mark of 10.16 seconds and while he still has about three weeks to run the qualifier and secure his place in Rio Hale said the World Juniors was still his goal.

Be interesting to see what AA do with Hale and Browning. Do they encourage them to race in the AA tour events? Probably be good for promotion of the sport locally.
6 and a bit years on Browning has broken the 10 second barrier - unfortunately the tail wind was 3.3m/sec so its an illegal time for any records but still ranks him as one of a small group of Australian's who have broken 10 seconds legal or illegal. From Oz athletics official stats man tweet.

Jack Hale 6 years on has a PB of 10.12 (wind +1.5), set at the Perry Lakes on 1 February 2020, which would have been an Olympic Qualifier before Tokyo, but the qualifying times and distances for field events were dramatically changed up or down for relevant events to reduce number of competitors. 100m reduced from 10.15 to 10.05.

Rohan Browning can run like the wind.

The 23-year-old sprinter became just the second Australian in history to break the 10-second barrier over 100m when he won his race in a blistering time of 9.96 seconds at the Illawarra Track Challenge in NSW on Saturday.

Unfortunately for Browning, the time can’t be used for Olympic qualifying because it was wind assisted to the tune of +3.3m per second — 1.3m per second above the allotted limit.

Still, the run puts Browning in rare air. Before him Patrick Johnson was the only Aussie sprinter to crack 10 seconds, first doing so when he clocked 9.93 seconds at a meet in Japan in 2003.

Rohan Browning’s mum Liz Jackson was ecstatic, tweeting: “I think my eldest son just became the first non Indigenous Australian to run 100m in under 10 secs. Can’t quite believe it.”

She then corrected herself in another tweet soon after....................

Last edited:

Jack Hale did break the Australian record for the now rarely run 100 yards a week ago at a meet in Geelong.

Rising Australian sprint sensation Jack Hale has broken a national record that had stood for 55 years, giving his confidence an enormous boost on the road to the Tokyo Olympic Games.

The 22-year-old broke the Australian 100-yard record, held by former Olympian Gary Eddy since 1966, in a scorching run at the David Baxter 100 yards championship in Geelong on Saturday night.

Hale crossed the line in 9.43 seconds to improve Eddy's mark of 9.52.

The Tasmanian, who narrowly missed out on the 2016 Rio Olympics but is firming to debut at this year's postponed Tokyo Games, said he was rapt with his feat.

"It's great to get that Australian record," Hale told The Mercury. "Running the equivalent of a 10.2-second 100-metre at this time of year - I'm pumped about that.

"I'm in the best shape I have been in at this point of my career. "Running 10.2 at this time of year is great. It's really only .08 seconds off my PB (personal best). "It's going to be a long season so the smart thing for me now is to do all the right races and treat it like an Olympic Games year and not just like a normal Australian year."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back