Senior Jack Steele

Remove this Banner Ad

“EVERYTHING.”

That was Jack Steele’s response when he was asked what it meant to be a Saint on Friday night.

“I suppose the Saints wanted me, the Giants didn’t,” Steele told foxfooty.com.au.

“I had no choice really. But it has been the best opportunity I’ve ever had.

“I’m so glad I can call myself a Saint. It’s a club full of history. I’m glad I’m here and I can be a Saint for a long time.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-...s/news-story/541e54145257e6efd2bd1f90ef42e829

That didn't take long.

Pretty glad to call him a Saint too! Will be looked back on as one hell of a steal. Bains and Trout must have got into him early, perhaps the night after the 2014 draft? :p

Chat post Carlton game - http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-05-13/postmatch-steele-rd8

Notched up his career highs for disposals yesterday. Will be cracking 30 before long.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/unsung-heroes-round-8/

Unsung Heroes — Round 8

St Kilda: Jack Steele

St Kilda didn’t have the game on their own terms on Saturday, as they had to hold off a competitive Carlton side in the last quarter.

One player who was incredibly important was new recruit Jack Steele.

The former Giant finished with 29 disposals — 17 of which were contested — and the final goal of the game.

His seven tackles were a game high, helping the Saints to improve to 5-3.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/qa-jack-steele/

Q&A — Jack Steele

How did the St Kilda opportunity come up? Did your manager suggest them as a destination and team that were developing? Were there other clubs that you considered?

My manager told me that there were a few clubs who were interested, and that included the Giants who I could have remained at if I wanted to. He just basically gave me his opinion and asked me what I would like to do, and St Kilda was easily the best place, but not in terms of opportunity. I probably could have gone somewhere else and got more game time, but I think St Kilda were the best club in terms of success, apart from the Giants of course. I feel that they’re there right now, but the Saints have a ready-built list and we just need to play a few more games together and we’ll be just as good as the Giants in a few more years. It was easily the best move for me.

What has it been like playing for Alan Richardson? A lot of the players at the Saints talk about his communication and that he’s good at unifying the playing group and also giving everyone a firm understanding of where they’re at, no matter which team they’re playing in… has that been the case for you?

Spot on. He’s a really honest coach which is exactly what you need, especially with a young group that is maturing. There’s plenty of us that haven’t played a lot of games and need to be pointed in the right direction so I’d say he’s perfect for that. Early on, I was in rehab and I didn’t come back in the best nick and he told me that I needed to shape up and lose some weight. It was hard in the off-season because I had a broken foot and couldn’t really do anything, but I basically needed to turn my attention to the diet because that was the only way I could prove myself to my teammates because I wasn’t out on the track training. I had to eat well and do everything else right to earn the respect. He told me that from day one.

Anyone have any thoughts on why Jack's TOG is being managed so much?

He played only 66% of the game against the Dogs (so sat on the bench for roughly 1 quarter + 10 mins.

Seems to come on in the first quarter - get 10 touches and 4 tackles. Then goes missing (I've definitely noticed this from a SuperCoach perspective) but clearly he's going missing cos he's not on the ground.

Not fit enough? Just how we do our midfield rotations? Seb, Acres and Steven all got 83% so he's getting significantly less.

Has been averaging 21 disposals throughout the season so far in really what is his first full season and also on top of missing a large part of preseason with a foot injury. If he can get through next seasons preseason work he will improve even more . Been a great get by the Saints this year. His tackling pressure has been first class.

Sent via Imagination, HAL traded.

https://shar.es/1BA4N5

Steele back in seniors
7d23fef5b485e163ebf3528b2b3ea11e.jpg

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-06-30/steele-did-what-we-needed-him-to-do-says-richardson

6b68953bcf4cbb3f8e996de6bf160766.jpg

His 17 tackles included a fantastic tackle on a freo player who was running in to an open goal , Steele came from a long way back but caught him, tackled him and won a free kick. At the time Freo were 1 goal in front , that would have made it two goals just before three quarter time.

Averaged 36 disp in NEAFL.
Kinda indicates he was either running around them like witches hats or through them.
Looking at the size of the kid maybe the second option.

Can't wait to see him play!

Another player who has two player threads on here , hopefully someone can merge the two together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played well in the wet and slippery conditions against Port . Always forget that he had only played a handful of games before he came to the Saints . Also he had virtually no preseason because of his broken foot . Will only be better next year after a strong preseason . Has established his spot in the team .

Average Contested Possessions.
Year one. Ablett : 6 Dangerfield : 3 J Kennedy:5 Steele:7
Year two. Ablett : 8 Dangerfield : 7 J Kennedy:9* Steele:5**
Year three. Ablett : 8 Dangerfield : 9 J Kennedy:11 Steele:10
Year four Ablett : 9 Dangerfield : 10 J Kennedy:15 Steele: ??

Tracking quite nicely is Jack.

* And the Hawks still traded the son of a favourite for some crappy draft picks. .... culture .
** Maybe indicative of why he wanted out, not given a role he could get his teeth into.

Jack is nearly 22 and is winning more contested possessions per game than Jack Steven.

Average Contested Possessions.
Year one. Ablett : 6 Dangerfield : 3 J Kennedy:5 Steele:7
Year two. Ablett : 8 Dangerfield : 7 J Kennedy:9* Steele:5**
Year three. Ablett : 8 Dangerfield : 9 J Kennedy:11 Steele:10
Year four Ablett : 9 Dangerfield : 10 J Kennedy:15 Steele: ??

Tracking quite nicely is Jack.

* And the Hawks still traded the son of a favourite for some crappy draft picks. .... culture .
** Maybe indicative of why he wanted out, not given a role he could get his teeth into.

Jack is nearly 22 and is winning more contested possessions per game than Jack Steven.

Yet another stuff up by the Hawks in getting rid of Kennedy .

I think Steele is only going to get better , afterall remember he virtually did no running for preseason because of his broken foot. If he does a preseason next year watch out .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back