Senior Jack Steele

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-09-07/hungry-steele-shows-signs-of-whats-to-come

Hungry Steele shows signs of what's to come

After being starved of opportunity across two years in western Sydney, St Kilda midfielder Jack Steele stamped himself as a player of the future in 2017, says Senior Assistant Coach Adam Kingsley.

The 21-year-old shone across 20 games in his first season at Linen House Centre, averaging 22.0 disposals, 10.5 contested possessions (No. 1 at St Kilda), 7.9 tackles (No. 1), 63.8 pressure points (No. 3 in the AFL) and 3.8 clearances.

Kingsley, who oversees the Saints’ engine room, said the former Greater Western Sydney midfielder now feels comfortable at AFL level and is poised to take another step forward next season.

Jack played in 20 games and averaged 22.05 disposals.
f8e832f811eb8c50197926bc6c5dc568.jpg

Season Review: Jack Steele http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-09-25/season-review-jack-steele via @stkildafc

‪Jack Steele: Lenny Hayes Trademark Award http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-10-06/jack-steele-lenny-hayes-trademark-award via @stkildafc‬

Last edited:

Jack Steele arrived at Linen House Centre with his foot in a moon boot last November, unable to take it off before Christmas. He joined the main group at the end of January, played in the JLT Community Series a month later, before lining up in Round 1 for the first of 20 appearances in his first season at St Kilda.

It was far from the ideal preparation for the inside midfielder. But given what he produced on the back of a limited pre-season, and in a new environment away from home, Steele’s midfield coach, Adam Kingsley, believes the former Greater Western Sydney midfielder only scratched the surface in 2017.

“I think he’s going to jump to another level pretty quickly, based on the fact he came back out of shape due to off-season surgery last pre-season and wasn’t able to join in training until the end of January,” Kingsley told saints.com.au ahead of the Saints’ return to pre-season training next week.

“There were a lot of challenging factors for him this year – new club, new state, trying to build relationships, trying to learn the game plan, trying to fit in and trying to settle into Melbourne away from his girlfriend and his family – but the way he was able to handle himself and perform was really impressive.”

Despite the delayed start to his maiden summer in Seaford, Steele made the most of his opportunities during the winter, averaging 22.1 disposals, 10.5 contested possessions and 3.9 clearances per game.

Although it was his pressure numbers that leapt off the page. He was ranked second in the competition behind Scott Selwood for tackles (7.9) and third for pressure points (63.8) behind Selwood and Dayne Zorko.
99ba35abb8ef1ec921042cc4cbc9760a.jpg

And it was that aggressive, team-first brand that saw Steele win the trademark award at last month’s Trevor Barker Award, which is named after another Canberra product in former St Kilda champion midfielder Lenny Hayes, who coached Steele at the Giants.

“His ability to play a strong, aggressive brand of footy and his ability to play team-first footy stood out this year, particularly on field and then his ability to do the right thing off the field was really strong too,” Kingsley said.

“To put it simply, Jack makes his teammates better on and off the field through his work.

“His tackle and pressure numbers are elite – he’s in the top two or three in the competition for both those numbers. So from that perspective, he does exactly what us and his teammates need him to do around the ball.

“He’s tough and very, very clean under extreme pressure – his hands and his kick under pressure are extremely good.

“We think he’s going to become a very good player; he’s got all the attributes that suggest he’s going to be able to do that.”

Steele will report for pre-season training next Wednesday with the rest of the Saints’ first to fourth-year players, which will include his close mate and new recruit Logan Austin, who landed at the club during the trade period in October.

Lenny Hayes Players Trademark Award

When you mention the name Lenny Hayes, you immediately think of tough, courageous, selfless, team first and this is exactly what this award stands for. Each week the playing group present the game ball to a player who has stood tough for the team culminating with this award being presented to a player who has upheld the values of the ‘Saintsman’ trademark.

Day one of the pre-season was vastly different this time around for St Kilda midfielder Jack Steele.

The 21-year-old arrived at Linen House Centre, via a trade from Greater Western Sydney last October, with his foot stuck in a moon boot for the first few months, unable to do too much but look on from afar.

This time around, Steele put his best foot forward from the first day of the summer slog, pushing the top pack all the way in the three-kilometre time-trial before finishing in 5th place behind eventual winner Ed Phillips.

“It’s great to be starting day one and running the three km,” Steele told saints.com.au at the clubs first to fourth-year camp at Larnoo Pastrol on Friday.

“Obviously this time last year I still couldn’t run – it wasn’t until late January when I started running with the boys – so it’s great that I’m fit and healthy and I can start from the start.

“I’m just looking forward to putting my best foot forward in the pre-season, having a real crack and getting something out of it and then playing a full season with the Saints.”

After two opportunity starved seasons in western Sydney, Steele made up for lost time in his first year in red, white and black, playing all but two games in a winter that fuelled him with belief.

“It’s given me quite a lot of confidence – I played more games last year at the Saints than I did in my whole time at the Giants,” he said.

A year after making a move in search of greener pastures, Steele’s old schoolmate Logan Austin followed a similar path during last month’s trade period, landing at the Saints from Port Adelaide and landing in a house in Highett with Steele.

“It’s pretty cool having him here. We never thought it would happen,” he said.

“When we both got drafted we said to each other we might play against each other one day and if we’re really lucky we’ll play with each other, so hopefully we do get the chance this year to play with each other.”

While they never did cross paths while wearing opposing colours, they will join forces in 2018 and beyond.

ST KILDA midfielder Jack Steele will not miss any time with the minor left ankle injury he sustained in the Saints' final training session before Christmas.

A since-deleted Instagram photo of Steele wearing a moonboot while back home in Canberra on Christmas Day sparked fears of a more serious setback.

But St Kilda confirmed the 22-year-old would be with the main group when players resume training next Monday.

Steele enjoyed a breakout 2017 season with the Saints after successfully requesting a trade from Greater Western Sydney, where he played 17 games in two seasons.

He averaged a career-high 22.1 disposals (10.5 contested), 7.9 tackles (ranked second in the AFL) and 3.8 clearances in 20 matches for Alan Richardson's side.

Richardson demoted Steele to the VFL for a fortnight mid-year, but he returned for good in round 15 and won at least 22 possessions in seven of nine games and laid double-digit tackles three times.

Steele started his St Kilda career in a moonboot and was unable to start running until January last year, whereas he encouragingly placed fifth in the club's time trial two months ago.

"This time last year I had a broken foot and a big pot belly," Steele told AFL.com.au in November.

"I want to increase my running capacity during a game.

"I feel like I'm fit out here training, but I don't really utilise that so much when it comes to a game, so that's going to be my focus. Just getting a lot more on the outside."

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

Meanwhile, midfielder Jack Steele has shrugged off a minor ankle complaint and was in full training at Seaford on Wednesday.

Steele was spotted in an Instagram photo wearing a moon boot for his left ankle because of an incident that occurred in the club's final session before the Christmas break.

However, if a game had been played the week after he was hurt, the 22-year-old would have been available.

The former Giant was restricted the previous summer, his first since being traded to the Saints, by a fractured metatarsal in his left foot.

However, he has been almost completely unencumbered this pre-season.

What a difference a year makes.

This time last year, Jack Steele was only just joining the main group for the first time after arriving from Greater Western Sydney with his foot in a moon boot.

Fast forward 12 months, the inside midfielder has not only banked a comprehensive summer on the track, he also added 20 games of senior experience in his maiden season in red, white and black.

Steele, 21, played three more games in his first year at the Saints than he did across two years in the harbour city, averaging 22.1 disposals, 7.9 tackles and 3.9 clearances per game in 2017.

St Kilda Senior Assistant Coach, Simon McPhee, said Steele has made significant inroads this summer due to his ability to get the work in on the track.

“Jack’s had a really good pre-season so far that should set him up for the year ahead,” McPhee told saints.com.au on Wednesday afternoon.

“The benefit of being able to get out on the track and stay out there this year is the difference in his conditioning; there is a significant difference in the way he looks this year compared to last year.

“With the work he’s been able to do, he’s getting to a lot more contests, he’s more dynamic and become better on the spread. His ability to get to more contests will hold him in good stead this year.”

McPhee, who has taken over the midfield reins from new transition coach Adam Kingsley, said Steele is still building the inner belief he can perform at the highest level on a regular basis, and as his confidence grows, so will his game.

“We’re pretty lucky to have such a humble, hungry group that just want to work. And that’s exactly what Jack is,” McPhee said.

“He’s a guy that is still building his confidence and self-belief that he can play at this level.

“We’re seeing that in the way he trains now and the way he played in the second half of last year. His ability to continually perform is just going to build that confidence and belief.”
d9cb8f0b736844dd7bf499c2dfb2d3aa.jpg

Last edited:
In 2017 Steele laid the 4th Tackles in the AFL behind Ebert Priddis and Sloan. Scott Selwood had more per game.

As third year players.
Disposals: Sloane: 365, Ebert: 421, 430. Steele : 441
Contested: Possessions : Sloane 180, Ebert 150, : Priddis 179 , Steele : 210
Clearances: Sloan:50, Ebert: 47, Priddis 83, Steele : 77

If you are his opponent in 2018 and you have the ball in your hands, i suggest you give it to Jack. Otherwise he will mug you and take it from your twitching body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow start to the year for Jack in the JLT. Didn't seem to spend much time on ground though. Hopefully can get his hands on it a bit more in his next outing.

Great to see Jack return to form in the final pre-season match. 25 possessions and 11 tackles, the coach would be very pleased with that. Locked in for Round 1 now.

One gripe - 7 kicks and 18 handballs. Needs to even that up a bit.

Hmmm... wasn't super-impressed with Jack in his first hit-out of the year. 18-odd disposals, think he'd be disappointed with that. May have played a bit of a shut-down role, but we know he can be a lot more damaging than that on the offensive end.

Hmmm... wasn't super-impressed with Jack in his first hit-out of the year. 18-odd disposals, think he'd be disappointed with that. May have played a bit of a shut-down role, but we know he can be a lot more damaging than that on the offensive end.
Whether or not it was just Steele, or if it was shared with Koby, the shutdown role was critical.

Zorko is there best player and was completely shut out, we'd be happy with Steele.

Unfortunate for Jack being dropped this week. He has looked pretty lethargic in the first two games - let's hope he can regain some form in the 2s. I've no doubt he will.

Great response from Jack with 41 touches in the VFL... will most likely come back into the seniors next week you would think, hopefully with some new-found form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back