Jake Carlisle Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely correct but there was an RCT by de Vries et al on this taping which showed good short-term results for reducing pain (although essentially equal to placebo). This tape is widely used and taught for patella tendinopathy at undergrad and on taping courses. I've used it a few times with good results but generally don't for the reasons you stated. It must have some other mechanical effect but as I don't use it I haven't read or thought much about it. Google Jake Carlisle Knee Tendonitis and he mentions carrying it for 4-5 years in quite a few interviews.
(Apologies to everyone else for getting nerdy).

I can only assume that he has some major issues with patella tracking; such that the disrepair, secondary to the compression of the tape, is not as severe as the disrepair caused by mechanical forces, secondary to the tracking concerns.

He has tape on his knee.
Therefore he must have a condition where the medical staff should under no circumstance put tape on his knee.

Tendinopathy treatment is a developing field that is constantly evolving. For example, it used to be thought that it was an inflammatory process (hence it was called Tendinitis; -itis implies inflammation) however it is now known that this is not the case.

Many medical practitioners keep up to date with the latest research, but unfortunately, many do not. I have a genuine example of this actual issue through a friend of mine that participated at college level basketball. He was given heavy taping for his Tendinopathy which, when he told me, shocked me - these are meant to be top level athletes ready to head into the NBA, so one would think that the medical staff are equally professional. I instructed my friend to inform his physio who works within the AIS, and said physio promptly sent correspondence with choice wording on this medical staff's quality of practise. Suffice to say, they no longer taped his knee.

Medical practitioners are not infallible; even those in multi million dollar organisations.

If there was snideness in your comment, then I hope this has been educational and not all that embarrassing.
If my inference is mistaken, then I apologise.

Tendinopathy treatment is a developing field that is constantly evolving. For example, it used to be thought that it was an inflammatory process (hence it was called Tendinitis; -itis implies inflammation) however it is now known that this is not the case.

Many medical practitioners keep up to date with the latest research, but unfortunately, many do not. I have a genuine example of this actual issue through a friend of mine that participated at college level basketball. He was given heavy taping for his Tendinopathy which, when he told me, shocked me - these are meant to be top level athletes ready to head into the NBA, so one would think that the medical staff are equally professional. I instructed my friend to inform his physio who works within the AIS, and said physio promptly sent correspondence with choice wording on this medical staff's quality of practise. Suffice to say, they no longer taped his knee.

Medical practitioners are not infallible; even those in multi million dollar organisations.

If there was snideness in your comment, then I hope this has been educational and not all that embarrassing.
If my inference is mistaken, then I apologise.

My thoughts were that it was peculiar that we should assume he has Patella Tendinitis based on an observation that he had strapping which is unsuitable for it.
If our medical staff are that far behind the 8 ball, perhaps we may as well retire Freeman right now.

My thoughts were that it was peculiar that we should assume he has Patella Tendinitis based on an observation that he had strapping which is unsuitable for it.
If our medical staff are that far behind the 8 ball, perhaps we may as well retire Freeman right now.

They're not all that far behind the 8 ball; mistreatment of Tendinopathy is rather widespread, so is not necessarily a good indicator of their abilities.

I can only assume that he has some major issues with patella tracking; such that the disrepair, secondary to the compression of the tape, is not as severe as the disrepair caused by mechanical forces, secondary to the tracking concerns.

Patellofemoral taping look very different and are only short to medium term while neuromuscular deficits are rectified. He definitely has patella tendinopathy and that is a "patella tendinopathy" taping.

Most patella tendinopathies are at the inferior pole so I'd imagine by tightly taping distally it would tilt the patella inferiority and reduce compression at the superior part of the tendon.

Regardles, he has had the tape for years and after a year off I'm sure his knee is feeling better than it has for a very long time.

We have to stop jumping at shadows everytime somebody has a bit of tape on their body or we will all be nervous wrecks before rnd 1:drunk:
Insert Mummification pic of a snake!

Edit: Found it
upload_2017-1-24_20-35-42.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Jake Carlisle tells me his body feels fresh and he's flying, and looking forward to the months ahead...I'm inclined to take him at his word. I think Jake will continue to be managed carefully because of his previous knee trouble, as well as his hip operation, and also due to the time away from the AFL arena. But he is completing every element of training that the club is allowing him to do. I believe (without knowing) that the plan is for him to play in round one, and he is on track to do just that.

When Jake Carlisle tells me his body feels fresh and he's flying, and looking forward to the months ahead...I'm inclined to take him at his word. I think Jake will continue to be managed carefully because of his previous knee trouble, as well as his hip operation, and also due to the time away from the AFL arena. But he is completing every element of training that the club is allowing him to do. I believe (without knowing) that the plan is for him to play in round one, and he is on track to do just that.
He must have been stoned when he said that.

Patellofemoral taping look very different and are only short to medium term while neuromuscular deficits are rectified. He definitely has patella tendinopathy and that is a "patella tendinopathy" taping.

Most patella tendinopathies are at the inferior pole so I'd imagine by tightly taping distally it would tilt the patella inferiority and reduce compression at the superior part of the tendon.

Regardles, he has had the tape for years and after a year off I'm sure his knee is feeling better than it has for a very long time.
Pft, don't come in here with your fancy words, and your fancy "qualifications", Mr "I'm so Smart because I'm a Physiotherapist".

giphy.gif

Pft, don't come in here with your fancy words, and your fancy "qualifications", Mr "I'm so Smart because I'm a Physiotherapist".

giphy.gif

Yeah

We don't like yr kind 'round here what with yr fancy talkin" and big city schoolin'...

2017-01-24-16-39-34-1549518220.jpg

So Jakes done his knee, Freemans hamstring is shot, Steele's foot is gone and Dunstans shoulder keeps dislocating.

So who's the first rookie to be upgraded - do we go tall with Rowan Marshall or Nick Coughlan or do we add to the midfield with NOK.

Lets go left field and upgrade Darragh Joyce - we may as well have a laugh because if all of the above has happened the season is shot already.

That's true, and an interesting way of managing it. Given the leverage and moment arm mechanics of the patella, the couple of degrees of tilt caused by the taping may produce significant results. Or, at least enough to justify it

So Jakes done his knee, Freemans hamstring is shot, Steele's foot is gone and Dunstans shoulder keeps dislocating.

So who's the first rookie to be upgraded - do we go tall with Rowan Marshall or Nick Coughlan or do we add to the midfield with NOK.

Lets go left field and upgrade Darragh Joyce - we may as well have a laugh because if all of the above has happened the season is shot already.

So Paddy doesn't have Lamumba syndrome ? And Nick hasn't got his knee in with Jake? and Armitage hasn't broken his Back?
Its still all good then :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back