Toast Jake Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar-ish build, and look the same from behind. And the similar shape of jumper number certainly adds to confusion.

He played an absolute beauty.

I loved the play in the 3rd quarter where he picked the ball up in one hand in a pack and fired out a handball which led to Smith's one hander, Tex's long pass to Milera and Lynch's Joe the Goose. Play of the Night!!!!

Actually dude316, do you know the one I mean? :)

Yes, the 6 and 8 are indistinguishable if you have bad eyesight.

big-toast-img.png

In the undesirable event that Jake the Snake leaves for another club, wondering if Kelly could step up and fill the roll?

Nope. Really Kelly is a mid sized defender or he's not playing seeing he lacks the size to be a third tall.

Mind you, whilst I was questioning whether he was a long term proposition in that position, he's slowly turning me into a believer.

He's a hard nut, both physically and mentally. That's the type of player you need in finals. Kelly is made for the finals stage.

His defensive game is great, he knows how to make his man accountable. Like that he's always safe with his disposal, too - he doesn't necessarily need to be dangerous in his role, leave that to the likes of Smith and Laird. In saying this, his risk-taking disposal hasn't been bad at all IMO

Joint surprise packet of the year with Otten

Kelly is strong, quick with a good tank. He knows how to defend and gives our team and backs some real muscle and intimidation. I am pleasantly surprised by his emergence and the potential I see and which he is already beginning to realize. And to think that the Pies overlooked him. Was that on Rendell's watch? Perhaps Rendell was trumped by his list management committee or just did not rate him enough? Either way, having him turning into a quick, hard nut player who can win the footy, defend and run as a Pie's reject gives the whole scenario extra icing on the cake. Would love to watch him with 50 games under his belt.

Kelly is strong, quick with a good tank. He knows how to defend and gives our team and backs some real muscle and intimidation. I am pleasantly surprised by his emergence and the potential I see and which he is already beginning to realize. And to think that the Pies overlooked him. Was that on Rendell's watch? Perhaps Rendell was trumped by his list management committee or just did not rate him enough? Either way, having him turning into a quick, hard nut player who can win the footy, defend and run as a Pie's reject gives the whole scenario extra icing on the cake.
Quick - not so sure on that. Great endurance sure, but quick - not so much

Quick - not so sure on that. Great endurance sure, but quick - not so much

I don't have stats, just going on what I observe. I am not saying he is elite speed wise, but he is pretty good!

They call him the bull and he goes so hard at it that they have to settle him down at training so that he doesn't clean up tam mates. This is a good read:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-03/bull-at-a-mate

Kelly is strong, quick with a good tank. He knows how to defend and gives our team and backs some real muscle and intimidation. I am pleasantly surprised by his emergence and the potential I see and which he is already beginning to realize. And to think that the Pies overlooked him. Was that on Rendell's watch? Perhaps Rendell was trumped by his list management committee or just did not rate him enough? Either way, having him turning into a quick, hard nut player who can win the footy, defend and run as a Pie's reject gives the whole scenario extra icing on the cake. Would love to watch him with 50 games under his belt.

He needs to put on some muscle, he's been pushed around at times. Upper body needs to get stronger.

I don't have stats, just going on what I observe. I am not saying he is elite speed wise, but he is pretty good!

They call him the bull and he goes so hard at it that they have to settle him down at training so that he doesn't clean up tam mates. This is a good read:
Certainly agree aggression and endurance are his strengths. Speed, not so sure of. He is faster than Otten at least (which is why i think Otten is a fwd not a defender)
I think Kelly would be about the same pace as Laird (who isn't exactly lightening)

Certainly agree aggression and endurance are his strengths. Speed, not so sure of. He is faster than Otten at least (which is why i think Otten is a fwd not a defender)
I think Kelly would be about the same pace as Laird (who isn't exactly lightening)

Otten is what we need him to be at any time.

He's a forward now seeing McGovern is injured. If Lever/Talia/Hartigan gets injured, he becomes a defender.

We let Hartigan get to 50 games and look how he's going.

In reality we were probably a little harsh on Jake.
Imagine he comes on like Hartigan? We'd be laughing, he's exactly the type of player we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Kelly is anywhere near Laird pace wise, we are absolutely laughing as Laird boasts a 2.91 second 20 meter sprint time which is right up there: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/some-testing-results.1146194/

I like the bit where they say he has no regard for his own body

Neither do Lever or Laird. Fantastic to have three of them in the back line. The others are courageous too but these three are kamikaze

Bicks posted this in the Jake Kelly Locker room thread post Nov 2013 draft. It also mentions his speed:

"Scpaige's post rookie draft comments for those interested...

kelly2-jpg.36638

Jake Kelly
Club:
Oakleigh Chargers
DOB: 21.1.1995
Height: 188cms
Weight: 83kgs
Position: Medium Defender/Midfielder
Plays Like: Steven Morris
Jake Kelly – son of Collingwood’s 1990 premiership player, Craig had a decent year for the Chargers, but really made a name for himself when he stepped up to play a few games for Collingwood’s VFL side this year. Playing predominately off half back and on a wing where his speed and composure with the ball and vision stand out, Kelly is strong bodied, and is rarely brought to ground – standing up in tackles and bullocking through would-be tacklers, he’s a very physical player. On the Private School Football front, Jake Kelly has regularly notched up 30+ disposals, and is within the elite bracket of APS players in 2013. At TAC Cup level, Kelly has averaged 20 disposals per game at TAC Cup level, including 4 marks, 3 tackles and just under 1 goal per game for the Chargers. His strengths certainly are in his running – he came third in the 3km at the National Combine – of which he was a late call up to. He offers plenty of mongrel and physicality – absolutely loves to fly the flag for his teammates and the jumper, is super quick, very agile, and has good athletic qualities. He’s not afraid to take intercept marks, and likes to push onto a wing. A strong tackler, Kelly loves to lay massive hip-and-shoulders and you could argue that there is plenty of rascal about him. Although he is still is a little patchy in areas, he needs to work on his decision making and his disposal under pressure a little bit and develop that consistency in his game."

Bicks posted this in the Jake Kelly Locker room thread post Nov 2013 draft. It also mentions his speed:

kelly2-jpg.36638

Jake Kelly
Club:
Oakleigh Chargers
Jake Kelly – son of Collingwood’s 1990 premiership player, Craig had a decent year for the Chargers, but really made a name for himself when he stepped up to play a few games for Collingwood’s VFL side this year. Playing predominately off half back and on a wing where his speed and composure with the ball and vision stand out, Kelly is strong bodied, and is rarely brought to ground – standing up in tackles and bullocking through would-be tacklers, he’s a very physical player. On the Private School Football front, Jake Kelly has regularly notched up 30+ disposals, and is within the elite bracket of APS players in 2013. At TAC Cup level, Kelly has averaged 20 disposals per game at TAC Cup level, including 4 marks, 3 tackles and just under 1 goal per game for the Chargers. His strengths certainly are in his running – he came third in the 3km at the National Combine – of which he was a late call up to. He offers plenty of mongrel and physicality – absolutely loves to fly the flag for his teammates and the jumper, is super quick, very agile, and has good athletic qualities. He’s not afraid to take intercept marks, and likes to push onto a wing. A strong tackler, Kelly loves to lay massive hip-and-shoulders and you could argue that there is plenty of rascal about him. Although he is still is a little patchy in areas, he needs to work on his decision making and his disposal under pressure a little bit and develop that consistency in his game."
And at that time Paige Cordana was commentating for TAC Victoria and watching a lot of TAC Cup games....not so much any more as I understand she know puts a lot of time in for Country Racing Victoria. He's plenty quick enough and your classic tough, hard HB Flanker whereas Cheney IMO plays more like a 3rd tall/intercept mark type.....Jake Lever has that covered.

kelly2-jpg.36638

Jake Kelly
Club:
Oakleigh Chargers
"Plays like Steven Morris" isn't a ringing endorsement.

And at that time Paige Cordana was commentating for TAC Victoria and watching a lot of TAC Cup games....not so much any more as I understand she know puts a lot of time in for Country Racing Victoria. He's plenty quick enough and your classic tough, hard HB Flanker whereas Cheney IMO plays more like a 3rd tall/intercept mark type.....Jake Lever has that covered.

I noticed you made quite a call on him at the time. Well done. Bigman also rated him. I have also just noticed that you have bumped the Locker Room thread on Kelly. Good move as it is a worthwhile read. This is your blurb there:

"Not really worried what the Pies thought of him, our guys rated him, they obviously did their due diligence on the kid and they liked what they saw going forward, I'm backing Ogilvie and co in on this one!!! This kid could well turn out to be the surprise packet of all our draftees IMO."

The only problem I can see is that I think Doedee will be wanting Kelly's spot. If Kelly succeeds, we might not have put a first rounder to good use

Remove this Banner Ad

Back