Jake Niall - One of the best in the business?

Remove this Banner Ad

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just read his piece about today's North vs Port match, and where he sees the current NMFC squad.

Not for the first time, I agreed with every word of what the man had to say.

He is no north troll; Niall stood up for us back in the dark days circa 2007.

This hasn't stopped the North board from frothing at the mouth about the article, but they do that sometimes.

One wonders whether the only thing stopping Niall from gaining the more prominent place in the AFL media landscape he deserves is his lack of a good head of hair. They say if you don't have the locks, you're not on the box. Don't ask me who 'Robbo' has photos of - I suspect he gets his gig due to 'networking' (buying every round, 'my shout, my shout, mate') and the rapport his producers believe he has with the peons out in the suburbs with that blokey accent and mannerisms.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on Niall? AFAIC, the sooner Fairfax moves on Wilson and replaces her with Niall, the better.

I just read his piece about today's North vs Port match, and where he sees the current NMFC squad.

This hasn't stopped the North board from frothing at the mouth about the article, but they do that sometimes.

One wonders whether the only thing stopping Niall from gaining the more prominent place in the AFL media landscape he deserves is his lack of a good head of hair. They say if you don't have the locks, you're not on the box. Don't ask me who 'Robbo' has photos of - I suspect he gets his gig due to 'networking' (buying every round, 'my shout, my shout, mate') and the rapport his producers believe he has with the peons out in the suburbs with that blokey accent and mannerisms.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on Niall? AFAIC, the sooner Fairfax moves on Wilson and replaces her with Niall, the better.

Good piece, ie puts the spotlight on the midfielders, all of whom seem to go missing when the game is there to be won. Harvey as a leader unable to drag them with him.
Not sure why you suggest Niall should replace Caro, is it the title (chief) that troubles you ? Caro does more of the political side of the game, are you suggesting Niall should look after that, does he have the contacts?
Is Niall an AFL cheerleader, I've not noticed that part of his reporting.

Very insightful article, thank you for sharing. I also agree with the premise that as good as Harvey has been for North, it's the next generation of players that will dictate how successful North ultimately become.

Jake Niall is clearly one of the best sports journalists we have in Australia. You don't need a meaningless title like 'chief football writer' to be a good journalist - if anything it shows how limited to one sport these other journalists are (Wilson, the [deleted] fool Slobbo). I don't know Niall at all; he may be just happy to write his articles on football, cricket and whatever other sports he covers, without the fanfare and egotism of whoring himself out to television, radio or other forms of media.

Last edited:

Very insightful article, thank you for sharing. I also agree with the premise that as good as Harvey has been for North, it's the next generation of players that will dictate how successful North ultimately become.

Jake Niall is clearly one of the best sports journalists we have in Australia. You don't need a meaningless title like 'chief football writer' to be a good journalist - if anything it shows how limited to one sport these other journalists are (Wilson, the scrotum-headed fool Slobbo). I don't know Niall at all; he may be just happy to write his articles on football, cricket and whatever other sports he covers, without the fanfare and egotism of whoring himself out to television, radio or other forms of media.

I'm not wedded to journos on TV, journos regurgitating/publicising or repeating or justifying their opinion - equally just because Caro does clearly not write what you like, it reflects on you with this insightful description direct from the peanut gallery Wilson, the scrotum-headed fool Slobbo.
I do agree chief footy writer as a title is meaningless.

I'm not wedded to journos on TV, journos regurgitating/publicising or repeating or justifying their opinion - equally just because Caro does clearly not write what you like, it reflects on you with this insightful description direct from the peanut gallery Wilson, the scrotum-headed fool Slobbo.
I do agree chief footy writer as a title is meaningless.

Fair point - I think we're in agreement on my general point about journalists and their media presence, however I'm probably too harsh in my description of the individuals. I'm actually not strongly anti-Wilson, but very much so against the other one (both as a person and what he writes).

Fair point - I think we're in agreement on my general point about journalists and their media presence, however I'm probably too harsh in my description of the individuals. I'm actually not strongly anti-Wilson, but very much so against the other one (both as a person and what he writes).
:thumbsu:
Just afraid you might get anti-Kwality :D ... Robinson is the fastest growing turkey out there, lost me on 360, was a regular viewer last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back