Past James Hawksley (2007-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's still only 22 aswell, I think there is slot of upside to Hawsley. He never stops trying and i think he is an ok defender.Just needs to improve disposal.

I've changed my mind about this bloke. Watching him run around in the 2's I had very definitely relegated him in my mind to fringe-dweller status.

Now, I think he showed enough very late to demonstrate he has what it takes.

I played most of my junior footy with Jimmy and he was always an incredible athlete. He went to Malaysia (I think) representing Aus at u16's Cricket for a while too. Missed a lot of footy through 14-16's with other commitments and he is a gun in pretty much every sport he played.

I'm glad to see he finally managed to get a crack late this year further up the ground from the backline. He spent most of Juniors playing CHF/Rucking at Centrals and his running/evasiveness was always his best asset. Hope Jimmy can cement a spot next year :)

Hope he gets rid of that filthy beard too!

Dreamteam talk

Don’t go there

Sam Sheldon/James Hawksley

They are in and out of the side and hopefully out mostly for the Lions sake. Their average is 50-60 and that’s for a reason – they butcher the ball and just don’t have the football mind. They are the Lions version of Raph Clarke.

6552449817_3b298296fe.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

NEAFL Round 3 vs UWS Giants

“It was probably a three-goal breeze so that wasn’t a bad result, especially after GWS missed a couple of reasonably easy shots,” Clarke said.

“James Hawksley played a pretty important role to help steady the ship in the third quarter when we dropped him back, and we were pretty good in the last quarter.”

hawksley20.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Clarke

Helping the younger players along last Saturday were a couple of relative ‘old heads’ in Cheynee Stiller and James Hawksley who really proved a class above the Reserves level.

“Those two guys really do give the team a bit more of a senior feel. They also give us some much-needed composure when the going gets tough,” Clarke said.

6988168642_0c2cf23a66.jpg

Great to see Hawksley back in the senior side. I have always rated him a bit higher than some and I hope that he can maintain his excellent reserves form against Collingwood tomorrow. It would be excellent to see him making the wing position his own, because I have always thought he would make a far better running / attacking wingman than defender.

Who knows ... if he can string a few performances together and become a regular fixture in the senior side, I might have to start another "Bandwagon" to accompany the hugely popular and oversubscribed Raines "Bandwagon." :thumbsu:

[YOUTUBE]EXrqw50HMHQ[/YOUTUBE]

He was great last year against Sydney playing for his career.

[YOUTUBE]EXrqw50HMHQ[/YOUTUBE]

He was great last year against Sydney playing for his career.

:thumbsu: Yep and he is still only 23 years old, so if things click for him, we will have a player who will be in the "right place at the right time" given the age profile of our list.

Great to see Hawksley back in the senior side. I have always rated him a bit higher than some and I hope that he can maintain his excellent reserves form against Collingwood tomorrow. It would be excellent to see him making the wing position his own, because I have always thought he would make a far better running / attacking wingman than defender.

Who knows ... if he can string a few performances together and become a regular fixture in the senior side, I might have to start another "Bandwagon" to accompany the hugely popular and oversubscribed Raines "Bandwagon." :thumbsu:

Great post :thumbsu:

I don't understand people having problems with him being selected - From what I've read on here, he has thoroughly earned his selection through reserves form.

In addition to that, last week, we seemed to play very 'soft' footy. I don't think James knows the meaning of 'soft'. I can honestly see this guy becoming our very own Max Rooke.

P.S. Sign me up to the Hawksley bandwagon now :D

I've only seen one reserves game this season (rid 4) I think, but while he got a lot of the ball at least 50% were not great kicks or turnovers. He's got his chance to prove me wrong this weekend, but I had home out the door at seasons end. Will be happy to be proved wrong, show me up James.

There is absolutely no doubt Hawksley has most of the skills. The one missing factor is his ability to close the deal.

From what I've seen of him in the 2's he gets the pill often enough but often holds up play, or kicks to the softest across field option, or gets harrassed into error by indecision.

At his level of maturity and potential ability he should really be killing 'em at reserves level but although doing ok that's about it.

Hope he takes full advantage of what might be one of his last chances.

I tend to agree.

He has never had much trouble finding the ball, it's what he does once he gets it that holds him back. I don't necessarily think he is a bad kick either, it's more so the decision making that he struggles with. Gets quite flustered and loses composure easily.

I think it was last year that I mentioned he could benefit from a run playing higher up the ground. Seems to release the mental shackles of the magnified mistakes in defence.

Hawksley was clearly among the best Brisbane players last night against Collingwood.

21 disposals (ranked second behind Redden's 28) and 90 DT points (again ranked second behind Redden who had 121).

In an ordinary team performance, it is worth noting that Hawksley, the promoted reserves player, out performed a significant number of players who seem to be considered "automatic" selections.

It is hard to stand out in an ordinary team, against quality opposition, but Hawksely did just that.

Well done James!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back