Play Nice James Hird rushed to hospital - suspected overdose

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are all the pro-Hird faction (media and legal associates) not heeding their own advice and leaving Hird and his family alone? The critics of Hird have not said a peep since the latest unfortunate turn of events - they are holding up their end of the bargain.

Some of these pro-Hirdites had fully formed and ready to print articles already released while James was still in hospital on a drip. Lawyers representing him had soundbites already released for mass consumption barely 24 hours after the story broke. Incidentally, how did the story break? It wasn't as if James had a Cousins-esque breakdown in the middle of a busy freeway.

He and his family should be left the hell alone and not be reported on at all, much like the preceding 12 months or so where he was completely left alone by the media. The AFL have no business feeding the news cycle and duly haven't done so, and they are being criticised for it? Mind-boggling.

I note this afternoon Steph Hird...the eldest of the children, has felt the need to make a public statement. Steph is 16 going on 17.

For me, I hope that once Hird has been successfully treated, he should be welcomed back, with open arms, into the football community and n ot just Essendon. Sure Essendon could see fit to have him on the club board. No-one would oppose that.

The lack of comment from the AFL so far has been to be brutally honest, pathetic. Just another slap down for Gillon, Fitzpatrick et al. (Who were so quick with Franklin, Cousins and etc)
I'd have no issue with him back. I was never in favour of him coming onboard as coach without the experience elsewhere (even starting with the vfl would have been ideal), but I don't blame him for what happened over the last 4 years and it would be a nice gesture to fill the many voids he likely has in life with a role at a club that clearly meant so much to him.
If all is well between him and the players at the club, the rest of the AFL community needs to move on now

A terrible situation for Hird and his family, goes without saying.

This whole saga has had serious stink lines on it for four years.

To this day, and this is the heart of the matter, those 34 players still do not know what has been put into their bodies, and in relation, the life long effects of that.

Just incredible.

What the hell is going on???
Well said

Very strange stuff going on.
Pro Hirdies making a lot of noise.
Everyone else respecting 'just leaving him alone.'
We do not need to hear from the AFL. Just like we don't need to hear from idiots like Grant Thomas.
The journos and cameramen gathered outside the family home certainly aren't leaving him or his family alone.

That said, I agree that a lot of the noise being generated by these articles isn't helpful.

I'd have no issue with him back. I was never in favour of him coming onboard as coach without the experience elsewhere (even starting with the vfl would have been ideal), but I don't blame him for what happened over the last 4 years and it would be a nice gesture to fill the many voids he likely has in life with a role at a club that clearly meant so much to him.
If all is well between him and the players at the club, the rest of the AFL community needs to move on now
But things aren't all well between James and people from the club are they? Hence why he hasn't been going to 2000 flag reunion events

But things aren't all well between James and people from the club are they? Hence why he hasn't been going to 2000 flag reunion events
It's a red herring. He won't be back there anytime soon.

Ultimately I question whether it even matters. In the end, if someone is in a dark place and so down that they would contemplate self-harm, make an attempt on their life or even just send out a call for help by ODing without going all the way, that should be the overwhelming concern. Their welfare.

The causing factors don't ultimately change the fact someone needs help. And, looking at those people camped outside his house, that they need to be left alone and given the privacy they need.

For the seriousness of the matter, no, you're right.

For those trying to ascertain what causes someone of Hird's stature to allegedly self harm, it's reasonable to consider other reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree- why would Gil, who royally sacrificed Hird want to now try to help an AFL Brownlow Medallist, dual Premiership player, AFL club captain, life member of the AFL etc. at a crisis point in his life.

Yeah come on Gil, it's not as though the biggest drug scandal in Australian sporting history is anything that should concern you! You should embrace all those involved in it

If they care about their reputation, so much then won't they want to help?
Unless you thinking helping Hird will look bad for them for some reason?

Bit of both.

The AFL reaching out and helping people like Cousins and Hird will increase their reputation. Sometimes it not about money and reputation this is the problem i have with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back