Jared Polec

Remove this Banner Ad

Dobie G

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Back on topic.........
Polec had tonsillitis when the pre-season started hence he struggled in the 3km run and the rest of the training. Josh Carr is confident Polec can improve and along with the rest of staff will help him to get the best out of the remainder of the pre season.

Source

“Jared’s a tough one because we just haven’t seen that much of him, he hasn't played a lot of AFL," midfield coach Josh Carr told portadelaidefc.com.au.

"We're obviously very happy to have him on board though which is why we fought to get him here.

"For me personally, I coached him in state under-18s when I was an assistant with that team and so probably knew a bit of what he can offer us before he got here."

That offer is one of a quality ball user who can provide run up forward and also spend time through the middle, according to Carr.
He is also quick to emphasise Polec won't become a consistent member of the Power's first 22 without hard work in the off season.

That means hard work with the club's fitness coaches and on the track developing his skills with his new teammates.

"It's unfortunate he's battled injury and and tonsillitis before the start of pre-season, that's probably kept him back from performing at his best early on.
"That said, we're confident that if we manage him right and he can get through a full pre-season, he'll be challenging for a spot early on."

"We feel like we've got the best fitness and medical staff in the competition who can work with him and manage him.

"He's got to work hard and improve all the facets of his game if he wants to be a consistent player in our side."
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2013-11-30/state-of-the-list-jared-polec
More

I actually think there is another warning for him in that article. I suspect we are taking the chance that some serious and public calling out of him will be a make or break situation.

I am going to trust our strong culture to pull this one through and we will see polec make an impact this year, but the club does appear to be setting strong ground rules for his progression.

I actually think there is another warning for him in that article. I suspect we are taking the chance that some serious and public calling out of him will be a make or break situation.

I am going to trust our strong culture to pull this one through and we will see polec make an impact this year, but the club does appear to be setting strong ground rules for his progression.

Good point!
Polec has "big challenge" written all over his face imo, but the Port culture should bring something out of him.
Unless there is nothing in him to bring out;)

For the two cents that it is worth

in that "coaches view" dubai video

Polec has more touches than anyone else and is always in the right spot

I'm putting Polec in the Moore/Pittard category. Needs to stay fit and prove why he was highly rated. If Moore could step up just a bit more, and Jasper show some of his later year form more often, hopefully Polec can improve in the same way.

I don't think he "fits" the 21, but I accept the concept of similar players using the same number is rather stupid.

I hope he does well!

You can build muscle and endurance but not courage or heart.

Hopefully he has it and just needs the right environment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any word on how he is going?

A rehash of some news several days ago, with Josh Carr the usual tripe, a player has to earn his spot, no gold passes, etc etc.

Source

He said while Polec's talent was unquestioned, he suggested he needed to work harder on his fitness to become a regular AFL player.
Polec, 21, played just 16 games in three seasons with Brisbane, largely because of injuries, and had a disastrous first training session with Port, finishing near the tail of the club's 3km time trial.
He was partly excused because he was battling tonsillitis but Carr has challenged him to
"improve all facets of his game''.
"He's got to work hard if he wants to be a consistent player in our side,'' Carr told the club's website.
More

Good to see reports of Polec doing well without knocking Brisbane. The responsibility is placed squarely on Polec, and he appears to be responding. Its only a month he has been with us and his body shape has noticeably changed, and it will be interesting to see how he goes in another month and then just before the trials start. Certainly at the better of the two local clubs to get the best out of him. Will be definite best 22 by end of season.

Decided fairly late in the piece that I'd like to see him play, and in the context of a whole game - not just a couple of video clips. As we have Foxtel and they cycle through the whole season on endless loop I thought I'd check out what games he played in 2013. I thought he'd played a few but it turns out it was only R3 and as Foxtel is back up to R8 or thereabouts it's going to be weeks. :oops:

If Polec truly wants tough love I'd want him to play round 1 for the Magpies and EARN his spot in the line up.
(unless his NAB cup form is outstanding)

Polec will be treated no different from any other player on the list. Why should someone who just goes ok be picked over him if his form is good? Why does it have to be outstanding?

If Jared puts in the hard yards and is worthy of Round 1 selection over others in the team, I'd hate for us to say "Sorry, we gave up Pick 14 for you...you have to burn it up in the SANFL first to REALLY prove you're one of us." We found a spot for an untried Jake Neade in our Round 1 team last year.

I don't get it. It's like he's being punished for doing something wrong. I don't give a s**t what Brisbane fans or the club thinks of him. I hate those IV drip pricks who cost us another premiership on the back of their assistance from the AFL. Don't gift him games, but if his form warrants it, he gets selected. He wasn't a first round pick for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back