Delisted Jarrad Jansen (2015-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

I expected him to knock the door down considering he did quite well in the VFL for Geelong.

I would have expected him to dominate the NEAFL if he was doing well in the VFL. The difference in tempo and skill level for most teams (Not counting the AFL reserves sides for the Giants and Swans, the former being mostly 1st rounders and the Swans being decent depth) is pretty stark.

NEAFL Match Preview: Round 8 v GIANTS
JJ NOT FAR AWAY

Listed in place of the elevated Jackson Paine as the skipper for this week’s match, the Lions will be hoping for a captain’s knock from Geelong recruit Jarrad Jansen. The 16 guernsey would weigh heavy on any shoulders at the Brisbane Lions, but Jansen is starting to work towards his huge potential as a big bodied midfielder, sitting inside the top ten for tackles in the NEAFL with 32 from 6 games. He was named as an emergency for the senior match against Melbourne, and if he can string together some performances showing more potency by foot and a similar intensity at the contest a call up may be close at hand.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney Uni - 14/05/16 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Getting better every week. He only found it the 18 times as a mid but his ability to go forward and hit the scoreboard and kick two goals was really good. He had six clearances, laid 7 tackles all that inside contested work is going really well for Jarrad. He’s probably just got to find a little more ball on the outside, more the uncontested footy but we’ve seen a big improvement. His GPS numbers are improving and he’s become an important cog in the midfield.

Can anyone comment on whether he's likely to stay in the side? Thinking of bringing him into my AFL Fantasy team, sounds like he's the type of player to get involved in the game but is he just being brought in to cover for a short term injury?

All the best to him. This is the dream and I hope he enjoys the experience. More particularly, I hope it is the first of many many great games as a Lion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I really didn't see that coming from JJ. His form in the NEAFL had been really average early days but credit to him as he has clearly built up form. Really hope he gets a good run at it for the rest of the year

Interesting isn't it, how our reserves form doesn't seem to dictate much seniors performance. Both JJ and Freeman hardly setting the world alight in the reserves, yet JJ comes in and plays great on debut, as did Freeman in his first game back (for which he has now declined it seems).

I wonder who else might be a "diamond in the rough" so to speak from our reserves team who could potentially flourish in the seniors if given a call up?

Interesting isn't it, how our reserves form doesn't seem to dictate much seniors performance. Both JJ and Freeman hardly setting the world alight in the reserves, yet JJ comes in and plays great on debut, as did Freeman in his first game back (for which he has now declined it seems).

I wonder who else might be a "diamond in the rough" so to speak from our reserves team who could potentially flourish in the seniors if given a call up?

JJ wasn't great early, but general consensus was that he had an early-season back issue. He was amongst our best in the NEAFL for several weeks prior to getting his callup. KPPs, on the other hand, have been much more of a mess, which makes sense given how unpredictable our delivery forward can be (at both levels).

Jarrad Jansen, the contested ball 'bull'

The scouting reports on Jarrad Jansen before he joined the Brisbane Lions said he was a ‘bull’ when it comes to contested ball. And they were right.

The 21-year-old midfielder, who was two years on the senior list at Geelong without playing a senior game before joining the Lions via a trade last November, had 13 contested possessions in his AFL debut against Carlton last Saturday.

This is the most ever by an AFL debutant in Brisbane colours since statistics were first kept in 1999.

Only four players have recorded more contested possessions in their first Lions outing – Ben Hudson in 2012 (15), Brent Moloney in 2013 (13), Dayne Beams in 2015 (19) and Tom Bell in round 1 this year (13). And each of those players had played previously at other clubs.

Reserves Wrap - Aspley - 30/07/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

He came back into the NEAFL team due to a week off as the emergency for the senior team. He was probably our best player on the day, particularly his first half – he had a big impact as an inside mid. He had 28, 15 of those contested, 6 tackles, 6 clearances. He didn’t hit the scoreboard which we would’ve liked him to do when spending time forward but his ability to use his size in and around the contest. To fend players off, be strong with tackles and give our players first use around the contest was pretty good.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney - 06/08/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

He was the travelling emergency, he came down to Sydney with us and was pretty good for us in the half he played. He had it 13 times, 7 contested, 4 tackles, 5 clearances. He was pretty solid, in and around tight, distributing the footy to our runners. Hopefully that’s done enough for him to look at some senior selection in the next week or so, but Jarrad was a pretty good contributor for us on the day.

Not exactly footy related but Jarrad came to our junior footy club the other night and was great. A really good bloke who was very enthusiastic and natural with the kids. Younger Lions players sometimes struggle a bit with these sort of things I find but Jarrad really carried it off.

Not exactly footy related but Jarrad came to our junior footy club the other night and was great. A really good bloke who was very enthusiastic and natural with the kids. Younger Lions players sometimes struggle a bit with these sort of things I find but Jarrad really carried it off.

Good to hear :)

It was very obvious last week v Carlton that JJ didn't have a lot of pace. In fact, he had very little pace.

Obviously, to become any sort of asset he has to offset this serious disadvantage with other positives. Like bore in, use that big body, crash a few smaller fry.

Which he does, but only intermittently. Very intermittently.

It was very obvious last week v Carlton that JJ didn't have a lot of pace. In fact, he had very little pace.

Obviously, to become any sort of asset he has to offset this serious disadvantage with other positives. Like bore in, use that big body, crash a few smaller fry.

Agreed and very noticeable - I thought at the time that he was carrying an injury...

Not Robinson Crusoe in that regard, we badly need a top sprint , speedendurance coach.

I thought exactly the same. I fear we have recruited another Lester. Both need the services of a sprint coach. They both have good skills and size but are horribly slow on the chase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back