Delisted Jarrad Jansen (2015-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Really like Jansen as a prospect. Strong overhead and powerful at clearance. He's a little Fyfe like in that regard.
However his endurance & kicking need a lot of work

Geelong Cats' Jarrad Jansen And Josh Walker Sign With The Brisbane Lions

Key forward Josh Walker and young midfielder Jarrad Jansen have signed with the Brisbane Lions.

The two Geelong Cats have signed with the Lions in exchange for a future third round pick.

Jansen, 192cm and 93kg, was taken by the Cats at Pick No.36 in the 2013 National Draft, the same year as the Lions’ rising young stars Lewy Taylor, Dan McStay, Jono Freeman, Darcy Gardiner, Tom Cutler and Nick Robertson.

Jansen, from East Fremantle, did not play a senior game for the Cats but was named as an emergency last year and finished runner-up in the Cats' VFL best and fairest. Jansen signed a two-year deal.

Geelong midfielder Jarrad Jansen bound for Brisbane

Drafted in the second round of the 2013 draft, Jansen has impressed during his two years at Geelong and was considered close to making his senior debut at times this year.

The West Australian shed several kilograms leading into his second season at the Cats to try to help him cover the ground more effectively, and he built some strong form in VFL.

A strong inside midfielder, Jansen, however, struggled to force his way into a side featuring Joel Selwood, Josh Caddy, Mitch Duncan, Cameron Guthrie and George Horlin-Smith.

I like the look of him. Would love to see him get a game next year

I get the feeling he'll show a lot in the reserves but will have to rely on injuries to get a good run in the seniors. I assume we'll be trying to get him to develop his outside running game in the reserves to allow him more flexibility to rotate in and out of the midfield when playing seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarrad Jansen Receives Browny's #16

"It's an absolute privilege to be taking the jumper off Browny," Jansen said.

"He's a legend of the club, it's a legendary number.

"There is an element of pressure, but when you're training with your teammates, you forget about that pressure.

"I'm very grateful. The great man has made it famous. I won't take the opportunity for granted."

Sounds like a great kid - very humble and well rounded. Hope he has success at our club.

Was good to see some nice subtle hints by browny on people wanting to be here too.

Well it looks like his nickname will be JJ.

For those old enough to remember (and it's a stretch for me):

image.jpg

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast Suns - 26/03/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

First game back for Jarrad after a few weeks off with a back injury. It was a good chance to blow the cobwebs out. He fumbled a little with ball in hands. He’s been working on it though which has been really good to see. He got hurt on the spread a bit. We want to see Jarrad work in and out of contests with a little bit more intensity leading into round one against Sydney.

Reserves Wrap - Aspley Hornets - 23/04/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Again played as an inside mid. Rested forward at times, particularly in the second half of the game. We’re starting to see some real improvement in Jarrad. He’s getting used to the game style at how we play here at Brisbane, but also getting to know his teammates, getting into the swing of things. His tackling has been a real hallmark of his game the past couple of weeks, he laid another 8 again on the weekend. He was strong in the contest, found a bit more of the ball which was really good for Jarrad. We’ll probably need him to impact a little more when he’s forward because we know the strength of his marking. He had a really good balance of contested footy. In the first couple of weeks he wasn’t finding much or working hard enough but we’re now starting to see the signs as to why we got him.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney Swans - 01/04/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Another inside mid – we’ve got three of them at the moment. He had it 11 times, he wasn’t clean it wasn’t a great day for Jarrad. His tackling is at a great level for where he needs to be right now but he still needs to find more ball. He’s still learning our system on how we play the game coming from Geelong. Like Rhys and Billy that work contest to contest and ability to get on the spread and work hard in transition is what we’ve been teaching these mids.

With DBeams out for a prolonged period again, Rocky struggling with soft tissue injuries, and our midfielders in the senior team severely under performing now is a prime opportunity for Jansen to earn a senior opportunity. Key word there being earn. He needs to start consistently producing quality reserves performances and make the most of his opportunity in the seniors if/when it comes around. I'll be keeping a keen eye on his clearance and tackle figures in the reserves stats sheet over the coming weeks.

I'm not really up to speed with how Jansen has been going in the Ressies but I expected him to debut by now. Has he had any injuries?

No injuries, just hardly knocking the door down. Behind Matho, Robertson and Evans at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back