News Jarrod Lienert signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine he has been promoted due to us having only Toumpas or him available to replace Jonas, and possibly Houston. Trengove could replace Jonas, but it wouldn't make sense against Gold Coast's forward line.

The theory that Ken has done a 180 doesn't seem that spot on to me. Pretty much every inclusion has had a pretty logical explanation, and as one poster mentioned apparently there are legit reasons for Marshall being held out of the AFL side until now. Every other player has come in to cover for injuries.

That said, dropping Trengove was a pretty big move, so maybe Ken got sick of him or something else happened.

On reflection I don't think the change in tact is particularly sinister. I beleive the coaches and admin got together and decided enough was enough. It may be an excellent development experience for Ken, he may not have agreed with it but he may have needed a nudge to make the changes in his mantra.

It's no different than a manager having a performance review with their executive director. He was told he could do a few things better, and he's taken it to heart.

Ofcourse it could be that what Ken says publicly shortly after a terrible loss differs to how he feels on reflection later in the week and upon reviews. He may have just had an epiphany.

Honestly this could make him, either way it's better for us (and for him) than simply treading water and waiting for the axe to fall.

Just caught up with this news. Yawn just another 60m kick in our backline. :D Well done to the young man. Take your chance with both hands and shake the life from it.

Gutsy call. Maybe Ken is staying true to his word and listening more to his line coaches.

Smart move by the club to execute the upgrade option that expires on tuesday. Its a nothing to lose situation. I really hope Lienert plays this week but as mentioned earlier it could just be finals cover in case of injuries to defenders

a lot of his marks are uncontested as he's always peeling off & usually provides a great outlet out of defence. usually goes the spoil in the contested packs, but does it pretty well. his kick is as pure as i've seen. has some dash on him too. hard to tell him & logan apart from the other side of the oval at times. i've liked his season so far, gotten better with pretty much every game.
Agree with all of this from games I've watched

What the hell is going on!

I can't believe this is actually happening.

There's never been more obvious interference from management than this. It is just so incredibly obvious that something has happened internally. This just isn't Ken, and there's no way whatsoever that Ken has made these calls of his own free will.

I've been saying all year this list of ours is pretty much as deep as it has ever been, and I'm glad we're finally giving it some time to blossom. I'm just like many EXTREMELY worried that we are doing this now. This really isn't the time for this shuffling.

Up until Round 11, even though people were already asking for this, Port was doing fine (besides kicking goals, I mean). It was from the game against Essendon (Round 12) onwards that the team began playing constantly worse. There was a brief window in which things seemed to get straight again (Rounds 16-17 – Eagles, Roos), which were followed by three consecutive poor games (Rounds 18-20 – Demons, Saints, Crows). It was that sequence that finally forced changes.

I doubt that the selections, regardless of whom owns the idea, go against the opinion of the coaching staff. I think that they are only happening now and not earlier because the poor sequence has happened late in the season. Without changes, our Finals would be over before it began. We are changing to have a shot at the Flag. We are not thinking 2018. We are trying to win now.

On reflection I don't think the change in tact is particularly sinister. I beleive the coaches and admin got together and decided enough was enough. It may be an excellent development experience for Ken, he may not have agreed with it but he may have needed a nudge to make the changes in his mantra.

It's no different than a manager having a performance review with their executive director. He was told he could do a few things better, and he's taken it to heart.

Ofcourse it could be that what Ken says publicly shortly after a terrible loss differs to how he feels on reflection later in the week and upon reviews. He may have just had an epiphany.

Honestly this could make him, either way it's better for us (and for him) than simply treading water and waiting for the axe to fall.
I agree with this it was beginning to have a 2009 feel. I have also made my thoughts clear what Primus did for this club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken sure is loyal to his men.
I guess that is why he has been so loved but yes it could be that his development as a senior coach has just gone up a step (perhaps after some stern counselling from above.)
Making tough decisions by dropping his favourites and a couple of more senior players could be the making of him.
We might not go far in this finals series but the experience for the young ones if we avoid a total thrashing is immeasurable for the future.
It has been a bloody frustrating year for supporters but at least there feels a little hope going forward.
Unless a miracle happens we are a year or two at least off a GF appearance.
Our neighbours are well ahead of us and if the unthinkable but most likely happens I will accept it and move on, knowing we are not that far behind.
Also Boak and Hammer's improvement at last gives some hope.

Best of luck to Jarrod I like what I've seen in the 2nd's, wow so unkernlike all this fiddling with the side.

As I said after my initial excitement yesterday, the club might just be taking out insurance with upgrading Lienert and we have to wait until selection night to maybe get really excited. Insurance purchase confirmed.

That's my boy! I knew he'd make it at some stage based on the one SANFL game I saw him in live (and the rare TV broadcasts). Cool, calm, solid, nice accurate kick (most times) and those boomers! I hope he plays in the AFL finals at some stage; he has (local) experience!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back