Past Jarrod Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

He's 20 years old. I'd expect him to be eased into footy from his injury and not play till the back end of the season. Wont do a full preseason till 17/18 IMO.

Zero reasons to rush him, and every reason to take extra time.

I know how old he is
And not trying to rush him
Want to know injury status

Good luck, Jarrod. Awesome highlights clip. No rush but out of all our pick ups today am looking forward to seeing Pickett the most.

Needs to lose some weight I'd say.

Based on pictures of him he doesn't seem in peak physical condition. Although that probably has something to do with the fact that he has had a foot injury for the best part of the year.

Also I'm sure with our fat club program he'll shape up alright :)

Bloody hell those highlights are impressive. So what are his injuries?

Broken lisfranc iir.

A pretty major injury in the foot. Right in the middle of the foot, essentially where the toes meet the solid part of the foot. (very technical sounding explanation, I know :p).

It has the potential to ruin careers. I've noted it a few times in the NFL. But others come back like nothing ever happened.

Hopefully he's the latter!

Broken lisfranc iir.

A pretty major injury in the foot. Right in the middle of the foot, essentially where the toes meet the solid part of the foot. (very technical sounding explanation, I know :p).

It has the potential to ruin careers. I've noted it a few times in the NFL. But others come back like nothing ever happened.

Hopefully he's the latter!
cheers. lets hope he gets over it. how long do you assume he'll be out for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talent, ability and/or injury won't be the issues that define Pickett's career. Work ethic, head space, dedication and developing the ability (with or without help) to deal with the demands of being a professional footballer are the biggest obstacles & challenges he'll need to overcome to make it at AFL level. Could be anything, but he could also just as easily evaporate into the ether and I'm sure he'll prove to be a worthy development project for our coaching staff.

Has enough pace to enforce an Iraqi scorched earth policy and if he can develop a tank and a defensive side to his game then god help the opposition. Injuries aside, if he can get his s**t together and you can potentially partner him up with Ainsworth then there'll be drool flowing down the aisles of Etihad & The G as they tear apart rival sides in the seasons to come. Fingers crossed he wants it enough.

Welcome aboard JP.

Talent, ability and/or injury won't be the issues that define Pickett's career. Work ethic, head space, dedication and developing the ability (with or without help) to deal with the demands of being a professional footballer are the biggest obstacles & challenges he'll need to overcome to make it at AFL level. Could be anything, but he could also just as easily evaporate into the ether and I'm sure he'll prove to be a worthy development project for our coaching staff.

Has enough pace to enforce an Iraqi scorched earth policy and if he can develop a tank and a defensive side to his game then god help the opposition. Injuries aside, if he can get his s**t together and you can potentially partner him up with Ainsworth then there'll be drool flowing down the aisles of Etihad & The G as they tear apart rival sides in the seasons to come. Fingers crossed he wants it enough.

Welcome aboard JP.
Similar on our board from knowleable posters re his challengrs.Disturbing mutterings about work ethic. Rehab hasn't gone well but that may not be his fault. Gifted player no doubt. Was getting the kind of attention from the club site that usually precedes a debut early this year before his injury. SOS would know him well so must see value though.
Grimlock kept us up to date with the NEAFL all year, and for a net challenged person like me was a godsend

Watching Pickett's highlights reminded me of just how good Yarran was when he had his mind on the job.

If only.....

Pickett is more skillful than Yarran. Have a look at the series of sidesteps in the forward pocket.
Granted, he won't get that amount of time very often at senior level but the speed, evasion and elite skills are there.
It's just a matter of whether he can get an injury free run.

My thoughts exactly. Mostly because of how still his upper body is as he runs. The exact same way as Yarran use to. Could we train him up as a half back for when Simmo retires in 2020?

With skills like that i'd prefer to keep him up forward being dangerous and setting up goals.

I reckon he'll be a more natural forward with his flair and clearly loves a goal...not sure he'll have the discipline and defensive focused mindset to be a defender.

This could end up a very good get guys, I seen a little bit of this guy when I was in Sydney, people always say he lacks work rate, but they don't realise he naturally isn't a 15/16+ beep test type of player, he is explosive like Tippa from us, he fades in and out of games but 15-20 possessions from him and he will have impact. honestly he will take a little while to put it all together but if/when he does you will have a seriously dangerous player on your hands.

In my opinion he will be the perfect project player, because some of the magic he can bring is elite.
I bloody love watching players like Pickett who play with pure magic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back