List Mgmt. Jenkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said this elsewhere but: his foster mum was interviewed on the ABC. Said he has been carrying a hand injury for three or four weeks and would be travelling *after* surgery.

nah, c'mon man its not like we had a crystal ball. who could've guessed that he wasn't built for finals football.
How did you spend your day off ..?

Whilst I was under no illusions that he was a superstar, I always thought he was handy as a 2nd or 3rd target. Clearly I was wrong.

Hats off to you

It's really a non negotiable now that we only play proven reliable players in finals.
Since we're in a window. If we can extract good performances from Jenkins by dropping, challenging him when needed to maintain ladder position then use more reliable players in the finals. Basically be ruthless and use him up when appropriate but know finals are not his thing. He's been paid financially and being gifted finals appearances is not guaranteed.

To be honest, i dont think Jenkins would mind too much if this happened? you know, honesty is the best policy.

win win if you ask me.

How do we use JJ?

He is not a ruckman.
He is not a contested marking forward.
He couldn't play defence.

Do we throw Himmelberg into the deep end? It can't be a worse result than this!

Surely we seek out a trade for Jenkins ... unfortunately, every other team saw what we saw. His value is going to be very low, maybe a player swap with a team that needs a "big body" ?

I don't think we will be that lucky, and will be left with a player playing a role that only works when we are flying.

he's our matthew lobbe, with a contract only a mother could love.

only produces on the end of other people's work which isn't a secret - he's been such a divisive figure in the media and amongst public analysts and club officials.

we can't really get rid of him because with his contract he literally must have negative value. we'd need to pay a good chunk of his contract to not have him play for us.

I might try and see if Brisbane can be tempted. they supposedly were into him last (though they publicly laughed off their interest) and see if they would do #pick 16 & Jenkins for Schache. Schache's old man played very happily at West Torrens for a while, so there are connections.

and if Schache who is a huge talent doesn't work out what do we really lose? at least he brings promise.

he's our matthew lobbe, with a contract only a mother could love.

only produces on the end of other people's work which isn't a secret - he's been such a divisive figure in the media and amongst public analysts and club officials.

we can't really get rid of him because with his contract he literally must have negative value. we'd need to pay a good chunk of his contract to not have him play for us.

I might try and see if Brisbane can be tempted. they supposedly were into him last (though they publicly laughed off their interest) and see if they would do #pick 16 & Jenkins for Schache. Schache's old man played very happily at West Torrens for a while, so there are connections.

and if Schache who is a huge talent doesn't work out what do we really lose? at least he brings promise.

i read in another thread we may have front loaded some of his contract already. we are so nice, we have already prepaid his contract if another club could be so kind...

Love to see Tex at full forward and JJ at centre half forward but he'd have to completely reinvent himself in the pre-season. I think people do give him a hard time though. We all know he's not a physical player and yet all expect him to suddenly gain those attributes in a final.

he's not physical but you would play him in the most physical position on the ground?

why not play betts in Ruck whilst we're at it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jenkins during the game
images

Jenkins before and after the game

images

What Jenkins needs to be in 2018 to justify his contract and profile in the media

latest

The Answer that I would like to know is:

Roo knew and was very public about his short comings. And he is Chairman of the List Management Committee.

Why then did he get signed for 5 years?

I don't think its that complicated unfortunately

what do we know? that Roo wasn't a fan, that we weren't offering a big contract and in turns out in hindsight the coaches weren't that enamoured of him either

so what happened? how did we go from that to 5 years for this marshmallow?

look at Collingwood and Chris Mayne - big contract forced onto the team by the front office. a front office in disarray after Neil Balme was forced out, Gubby Allen was coming in (no one knew about it either) and it was just a maelstrom of s**t. in that confusion the front office signed a guy for $2m over 4 years that no one wanted.

now look at our footy operations position, David Noble being hunted by Brisbane, then left, big gap, job sharing and confusion with a CEO who doesn't know footy... pretty easy to see confusion fills in that vacuum too

I think there are a lot of similarities between us and collingwood last year, with confusion and vacancy in the key footy ops function. that's how players no one wants end up with big contracts.

One thing that frustrates me with Jenkins is his preference to go up one handed in marking contests.

Phil Walsh was getting this coached out of Jenkins to the point where he started going for marks with both hands and actually grabbing some contested marks. He carried that form into 2016 and did it for most of the season.

This yeah he is into the one handed bullshit again. Surely it cannot be instructions from the coaches. Is it because of the rib injury he copped early in the season and how he has gone into his shell and is afraid of getting hit?

Whatever it is, it just needs to stop!

JJ quote. “And reminding him that perhaps he should have stuck around with us and he could be a Brownlow Medallist and a premiership player.”

What a ******* putz.
Maybe if Josh was more interested in being a half decent footballer not just trying to feather his nest. The dumb comment may not have come out of his mouth. He got well ahead of himself saying this s**t and he needs to realise this attitude is why he is Also not a premiership player like Dangerfield.

He should just know his place and realise that, even though they are apparently good mates, he hasn't got the runs on the board to make any comment about Dangerfield

One thing that frustrates me with Jenkins is his preference to go up one handed in marking contests.

Phil Walsh was getting this coached out of Jenkins to the point where he started going for marks with both hands and actually grabbing some contested marks. He carried that form into 2016 and did it for most of the season.

This yeah he is into the one handed bullshit again. Surely it cannot be instructions from the coaches. Is it because of the rib injury he copped early in the season and how he has gone into his shell and is afraid of getting hit?

Whatever it is, it just needs to stop!
Tex is just as bad in this regard...maybe they could both fly in the pack and actually mark it together with a total of two hands on the ball?

I don't think its that complicated unfortunately

what do we know? that Roo wasn't a fan, that we weren't offering a big contract and in turns out in hindsight the coaches weren't that enamoured of him either

so what happened? how did we go from that to 5 years for this marshmallow?

look at Collingwood and Chris Mayne - big contract forced onto the team by the front office. a front office in disarray after Neil Balme was forced out, Gubby Allen was coming in (no one knew about it either) and it was just a maelstrom of s**t. in that confusion the front office signed a guy for $2m over 4 years that no one wanted.

now look at our footy operations position, David Noble being hunted by Brisbane, then left, big gap, job sharing and confusion with a CEO who doesn't know footy... pretty easy to see confusion fills in that vacuum too

I think there are a lot of similarities between us and collingwood last year, with confusion and vacancy in the key footy ops function. that's how players no one wants end up with big contracts.

To be honest, i think its a board that was out to make a point. Cant lose another player. 5 year contracts must go through the board.

I would have been ok if it was a 2-3 year contract extension. I dont get why we freeze up at the prospect of a player leaving. its been proven time and time again, a player a club does not make.

Players leaving are just an opportunity to trade, and good traders lick their lips when opportunities arise, and fans are good enough to know when we have got good value. It was a good opportunity to address our midfield weakness, from an area in which we are stacked and probably are paying a high percentage of our salary cap to maintain.

We should have a list of maybe 5-6 players we carefully manage. The rest we should be open to trading, especially when another club comes cap in hand wanting our asset. I mean, isnt this how a market should work? Buy low, we do very well, sell high, we dont do too well.

We've got to persist with JJ. Only Buddy, Kennedy, Eddie, Lynch (GC) and Daniher have scored more goals than him over the past 2 seasons. He had a ****ed up GF, but I am willing to forgive him, as long as he works on the aspects of his game spoken about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back