List Mgmt. Jenkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
you think Mayne's contract didn't go to the board? Dmac's did and so will have JJ's

yeah, and what im saying is, the board dont have the chops. We seem to pride ourselves in looking after our own. But sometimes whats best for the club, isnt whats best for one of our own.

I mean you gotta hand it to jenkins and his manager. They read us well, conceded little, and received alot.

He (Jenkins) didn't care that much yesterday.
He's always struck me as someone that doesn't give a s**t about the club. He's continued kissing Dangerfield's arse via Twitter from the second Dangerfield left the club, he fails in big matches and doesn't appear to care, and still screwed as much money out of the AFC as possible. He's the epitome of the modern player that cares about his own career but couldn't give a s**t about the club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/153db9b54585cb7bcba09a4caa157207

"On top of that, some players naturally step up to the plate come finals, while others, even some superstars of the home-and-away season, fade.

I might be a hard marker, but I have always judged a player by how he stands up in the big games. It is all psychological.

In 2010 at Collingwood I had the choice of taking a senior half-forward into our finals campaign, or a first-year player.
I went with Jarryd Blair because I liked his discipline, his hardness, and his ability to focus on one task. He proved invaluable for us as we went on to win the premiership."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/09/11/malthouse-on-kb-and-top-three-pies-in-finals/
Mick only gives one second-chance in finals

“One of the great things about sport is to be able to perform on the big stage and I loved to go into a season after a finals series and know that my players stood up in the finals,” said Malthouse.

“Those that didn’t have got one more chance, only one more chance because you can’t muck around in finals.

“You can’t give a third and fourth chance… if you don’t perform then that’s curtains because it’s so hard to get there.”

we give third and fourth chances. maybe more.

hell we give 5 year contracts to 28 year olds who can't play in finals.

Soft has nothing to do with it. He's not a pack crasher and never will be, but who is these days.

Pyke doesn't even play him as a power forward, because he isn't. His strength is his running, which is why he ends up on his own all the time. The other string to his bow which is often forgotten is he gives Sauce a chop out in ruck.

I would like to see him moved even further up the ground, onto a wing even. Could he even have a run on the ball? Both Pavlich and Matthew Richardson (almost won a brownlow) had outstanding years when moved towards the midfield. It's clear now the days of big forwards are over, with Walker and McGovern we don't need another.

Did we just ignore that? Or were we that arrogant that we didn't care?
Good questions.
I read that Pyke attended both of Richmond's finals and I'd be surprised if he and the players hadn't watched and discussed both games in detail. I watched most of those games and Richmond's fanatical tackling and pressure after pressure surprised me, but I kept thinking that while Richmond had improved, we did it better. I've been wrong a lot lately :(. I still think they out-Crowsed us.
I just had a look at our stats for the game --- JJ, Eddie, Talia, Knight, Otten all had inferior games well below their AFL Fantasy averages.

The players might have fallen into the trap of remembering Round 6 and assuming (wrongly) that it was in the bag. "We-should-win-this" is at its deadliest in the last game of the year.

Jenkins needs to start by giving his media gig up. It's cringeworthy hearing him talk.

Malthouse mad a big point about seeing which players could play in finals, and no matter how good they were, if they showed they couldn't stand up in september he cut them off.

can't play in september, can't play

Sloane shouldn't get off unscathed in that regard as he has yet to dominate a single final in his career.

He has never had more than 24 disposals in a final (9 kicks, 15 handballs in the 2015 SF loss).

We won't trade him 1 year into his 5 year deal and doubt another club would be interested at that money. But he does have assets that are valuable. The key with any player is to take advantage of their strengths and work on their weaknesses. His advantage is no key defender can run with him, so work out how to utilize that in a game better (not sure about playing him in the midfield with his lack of contested ball ability). I'd definitely get him into a marital arts program, boxing isn't enough; he can use his aerobic fitness and reach to coast there. He clearly lacks physical confidence and there's nothing like a few months hard at an MMA gym or jujitsu or kick boxing to make you feel bullet proof.

We've got to persist with JJ. Only Buddy, Kennedy, Eddie, Lynch (GC) and Daniher have scored more goals than him over the past 2 seasons. He had a ****** up GF, but I am willing to forgive him, as long as he works on the aspects of his game spoken about here.
Look back at last year's losing final - how many times can you forgive a player for those performances?

Will we be ruthless? Will we become the team that is 100% focussed on winning a premiership? I guess we will see.

Last time we had success, there was no doubt about it. Watch the latest doco on 1997 - tell me the players weren't put on notice regarding the effort and application required.

We've got to persist with JJ. Only Buddy, Kennedy, Eddie, Lynch (GC) and Daniher have scored more goals than him over the past 2 seasons. He had a ****** up GF, but I am willing to forgive him, as long as he works on the aspects of his game spoken about here.

At the age of 29 his flaws are not fixable. You can't teach a player to be naturally physical. Look at Watts. He has more natural talent in his little finger than Jenkins yet his lack of instinctive physicality will be his downfall.

We have the softest, least physical player on our list playing in the 2 most physical positions on the ground. Crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soft has nothing to do with it. He's not a pack crasher and never will be, but who is these days.

Pyke doesn't even play him as a power forward, because he isn't. His strength is his running, which is why he ends up on his own all the time. The other string to his bow which is often forgotten is he gives Sauce a chop out in ruck.

I would like to see him moved even further up the ground, onto a wing even. Could he even have a run on the ball? Both Pavlich and Matthew Richardson (almost won a brownlow) had outstanding years when moved towards the midfield. It's clear now the days of big forwards are over, with Walker and McGovern we don't need another.

Wow, this is becoming insane. Some are desperate to keep this hack in the team.

This is why we won't win a premiership anytime soon.

Malthouse mad a big point about seeing which players could play in finals, and no matter how good they were, if they showed they couldn't stand up in september he cut them off.

can't play in september, can't play

Based on this we need to find replacements for all 6 forwards, Douglas, McKay, Knight, Brown and Atkins. It's going to be a busy trade week.

Jenkins was horrid, had a pathetic game and ridiculously soft on Saturday but we did not lose because of him.

We could have had Jonathan Brown at his peak and we still lost because we could not penetrate the Tigers zone.

We had no run or dash. They forced us to try and hit up a short pass or bomb it long and then they could spoil it. Their pressure was immense and we didn't handle it.

I'm not removing any blame from anyone as our forwards were none existent but his softness was way down the list on reason why we lost. Jenkins will be a first choice player next year.

Based on this we need to find replacements for all 6 forwards, Douglas, McKay, Knight, Brown and Atkins. It's going to be a busy trade week.

Talia? You can add him
Lever? Gone?
Hartigan? Don't leave him out

That's 14. I wonder why we are not getting pick 1 with this many duds. Ridiculous, we are such a s**t club.

Am I doing it right?

Sadly, whilst a talented trio, Walker, Jenkins and Lynch are all very, very soft. It's why Gov is almost our most valuable player.

Agreed, none are the crash and bash type, which makes it difficult when the chips are down.

I also think our forward line have grown to accustomed to a dominant midfield/defense at present and have struggle for a while to get dangerous when the rest of the team is struggling. Too much taking credit for what others have done up the field and not enough focus on doing the things that made them become regarded as the best forward line in the comp.

Talia? You can add him
Lever? Gone?

That's 14. I wonder why we are not getting pick 1 with this many duds. Ridiculous, we are such a s**t club.

Am I doing it right?

I thought Hartigan had a pretty good finals series.

Talia? You can add him
Lever? Gone?

Am I doing it right?

We were a s**t club on Grand Final day and in the end, that's all that counts.

Brown was good, and he got hurt early on in the game.

Can't see Mackay being first choice.

I'm not really a Jack Riewoldt fan but contrast his attack in the air at the ball early with Josh's efforts.

The mentioning of other players who also had bad games is just diversionary given (with a few exceptions) those players don't have a long history of avoiding physical contact and a lack of thirst for a contest.

Walker looking for the body in a marking contest is a symptom of a lack of confidence for him. Whether that's mental or because of a physical issue I'm not sure. We know he can and does hit the contest hard.

I'm not really a Jack Riewoldt fan but contrast his attack in the air at the ball early with Josh's efforts.

The mentioning of other players who also had bad games is just diversionary given (with a few exceptions) those players don't have a long history of avoiding physical contact and a lack of thirst for a contest.

Walker looking for the body in a marking contest is a symptom of a lack of confidence for him. Whether that's mental or because of a physical issue I'm not sure. We know he can and does hit the contest hard.
So internally how much heat is put on Jenkins for being a big mouthed soft utensil?

Hmm dunno mate, I haven't seen Tex hit a contest full chested for quite a while now. Haven't seen him kick a clutch goal for longer. What I have seen him do is come up with some cool high five routines with Eddie and a nifty faux tough Anthem stance.

As for JJ, the guy just needs to be given simple KPIs. Contested marks, pressure acts, hit outs, goals and goal assists. And he needs to shut up until his football can do the talking. Get Carey down for a one on one boot camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back