Recommitted Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Where's this massive price rise coming from?

Don't get me wrong, super impressive. Going to be very good.

BUT in a group of 6 defenders you would be choosing Davis, Haynes, Buntine, Williams +- Tomlinson and Whitfield depending on role ahead of him at the start of 2019. Corr also good. Hardly be paying Finlayson more than any of those blokes.

He'd be in the upper end of that 101-200k bracket currently. 226 players 400k and above in 2017. I doubt he's fitting in there at GWS, no matter how impressive he is this year. So he would probably be paid in the 201-300k packet at GWS, and a club stretching may pay him high end 301-400k bracket...

With the exit of Wilson and likely Shaw and 1 of/both of Griffen and Deledio, GWS are in the frame to pay him higher end of the 201-300k/lower 301-400k bracket. Losing depth and salary in the rebounding defenders category...you're not going to allocate that to simply more midfielders or paying mids more, not how list management works. Williams, Buntine already contracted so won't be taking more share (and injured for the year so unlikely to get contracts rejigged based on AA breakout years etc...).

So essentially you offer Finlayson 70-80k more a year only (unlikely to make him even avert his gaze after finally breaking into GWS side), or make him top 12 paid at your club to give a serious offer for him to consider...you would want another 3 months of this form before even slightly considering that type of offer.

Pretty throw away line from Stevens that with even a quick look would show it's unlikely to happen, unless a club takes a significant risk in making him (on average) top 12 at their club on salary. GWS have a few exits coming and I'm sure they can spare an extra 100-150k for Finlayson, especially as he fills an area they have and will lose depth in. Fairly normal progression for a guy who has gone from draftee/debutant level to best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back