The Law Jill Meagher Case

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You will notice that the thread on this subject has been deleted.

If a new thread is started, please consider avoiding any posts that include:
  • Commentary on the guilt or the innocence of the accused
  • Details of prior criminal convictions or charges
  • The publication of photos of the accused.
Such content may leave individual posters open to the possibility of fines and gaol time for sub judice contempt.

To safeguard your own interests it is therefore recommended that you limit your comments to:
  • objective facts of what has occurred
  • Expressions of grief and anger, condolences to the deceased's family.
  • debate about issues raised by the case (such as public safety)
Whilst the responsibility for the publication of any of the above material rests solely with the individual posting it, BIG Inc. also reserves the right under the Communications Decency Act (USA) to remove material on the grounds of basic, reasonable decency. Given the sensitive nature of the case, moderators and administrators will exercise that right at their discretion.

CC: Donners, Inferno, Slax, Chief, grizzlym

Is this a matter of judicious caution or has it already caused a potential legal problem for BF?

Does it matter?

VicPol have been pretty vocal this afternoon about the sub judice ramifications of social media discussion. The victim's husband has also made a public plea for people to tone it it.

Does it matter?

Well, yes, it does matter to me. I like this forum, it provides me a space to engage ideas and opinions with a diverse and intelligent group of people, interactions that I value. As such it would matter to me were it was ever subject to any detrimental consequences as a result of the activities of those of us who provide the content that make it such an awesome space. Knowing that this community was, or being reassured that it was not, subject to any kind detrimental consequence would definitely matter to me, were any figure of authority prepared to offer such explanation after making such a dramatic announcement.

VicPol have been pretty vocal this afternoon about the sub judice ramifications of social media discussion. The victim's husband has also made a public plea for people to tone it it.

Ah, so it's a case of judicious caution. Well, that's a relief at least, thanks for the update. It is smart to take a proactive approach because nothing should b done to prejudice this case, we need to make sure that anybody found guilty be sent down for a long, long time.

I'm just saying that in light of the current environment the above announcement should not come as a surprise.

If there was a specific legal issue over and above that then naturally we wouldn't be commenting on it.

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.

My bad. Opened a can of worms on this one.

This matter just really got to me.

Sincerest condolances and grief to the family of the deceased. I couldnt sleep last night just thinking about it; God only knows what they are experiencing at the moment.

God bless you Jill. I can only pray that the strongest measure of justice is provided to honor your life and memory.

So awful.

Im not sure if anyone has been following the Schrodinger's Rapist debate in the north american atheist community? don't want that debate, makes me feel sick.

I guess the familiarity with the area and the kind of people involved really touched a nerve with me. normally I'm pretty switched off to law-and-order type issues, especially from America, it all seems to distant. Maybe it was cos she was so pretty, maybe cos she was a journalist, maybe cos it was so local. Either way, this case kind of got to me and i hope that any guilty party spends the rest of their days in some pretty stark circumstances :(

Either way, this case kind of got to me and i hope that any guilty party spends the rest of their days in some pretty stark circumstances :(

It got to me too.

How can a person do that to another person? I just cant put it together in my head. I know these types of crimes are (thankfully) rare.. but I just dont... understand how a person could do that? It was a 3 minute walk home in the middle of the city for *s sake.

One minute your having a drink with friends and then next minute... absolute horror.

Ive been pretty vocal of not supporting the death penalty (and I dont really want this thread to dissolve into a debate on its merits) but I would not shed a tear should something.. 'unfortunate'... happen to the perpetrator of this terrible crime.

If there is a God in heaven, Karma, Divine retribution or what have you; I hope it brings its full force on the person responsible.

I dont pray often, but Crom, Allah, Thor, Buddah, Xenu or whomever strike that motherf***** down.

Ive been pretty vocal of not supporting the death penalty (and I dont really want this thread to dissolve into a debate on its merits) but I would not shed a tear should something.. 'unfortunate'... happen to the perpetrator of this terrible crime.

Thought about it a some length today. My conclusion is that death is too easy n out option, let any guilt offender rot in isolation for the rest of their life. A much worse fate I'd imagine.

Thought about it a some length today. My conclusion is that death is too easy n out option, let any guilt offender rot in isolation for the rest of their life. A much worse fate I'd imagine.

Why waste money keeping it alive. We could better spend the money on something worth while.

I agree. Prison (even modern ones) are not 'fun' places to be.

Sitting here at work and its still gettin to me.

I shouldnt have looked at the victims facebook page.

Wedding photos, photos of her as a child, photos as an adult out and about, travelling the world and having a good time. She's doing what Im doing, and is in the same age demographic as myself and many of my friends and girlfriends.

All ended by some ******* cowardly dog.

RIP mate.

People reading this - go home tonight, hug your wife, husband GF, BF, mother or who whomever you have close to you, and tell them that you love them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This case also says a lot about the shallowness of society. If it had been a feral mother of 1 from some dive of a suburb there wouldn't have been any where near the coverage given to a case involving a person like that.

Wedding photos, photos of her as a child, photos as an adult out and about, travelling the world and having a good time.

RIP mate.

My heart goes out to Mr Meagher too, married three years, deeply in love, to have all of that just torn away. We can only hope that she RIP's, that poor bastard won't have peace for decades to come :(

This case also says a lot about the shallowness of society. If it had been a feral mother of 1 from some dive of a suburb there wouldn't have been any where near the coverage given to a case involving a person like that.

Don't disagree. I made a point of that in one of my previous posts. Her intelligence, social standing and striking attractiveness all played a part in my own emotional reaction to the case, that I will not deny.

Don't disagree. I made a point of that in one of my previous posts. Her intelligence, social standing and striking attractiveness all played a part in my own emotional reaction to the case, that I will not deny.

Must conceed that the I felt a certain heightened level of empathy myself being of that general age bracket, living in London after moving from Oz, and frequently finding myself staggering home after a few late night drinks (and having girlfriends do the exact same).

Its just a worst nightmare type scenario. You just dont think that when youre getting dressed to go out that they'll be the clothes that you'll wear to your grave.

******* animal.

You obviously dont remember the Frankston serial killer then.

And that was before social media.

I remember it well. It involved teenagers which will always boost its coverage in the media.

I remember it well. It involved teenagers which will always boost its coverage in the media.

Frankston was huge. At that was before we all realised we had a serial killer on our hands.

Its just these types of random attacks. Rare as rockinghorse s**t, but by god theyre awful and they rock us all.

Life is short and often cruel. Live it people.

Wedding photos, photos of her as a child, photos as an adult out and about, travelling the world and having a good time. She's doing what Im doing, and is in the same age demographic as myself and many of my friends and girlfriends.

I'm glad you started the thread on SRP. It's a topic that seems to have captured everyone's attention and often in SRP we get a different flavour of comment.

People reading this - go home tonight, hug your wife, husband GF, BF, mother or who whomever you have close to you, and tell them that you love them.

I'm as tied up in the emotions as most people. The horror of what might have happened to her in her last moments. The anger at the killer. And sadness for her loved ones who must have had their world ripped apart.

But I didn't give my loved ones an extra hug because of this incident. I can retain the perspective that these type of events are very rare in Australia and if the killer is locked away for a long time then it makes Australia a safer place.

But you can also apply a philosophical type of thinking to it. Our reality is what we choose to focus on. Jill Meagher tragically didn't make it home on Saturday night. But a million people did.

Well, yes, it does matter to me. I like this forum, it provides me a space to engage ideas and opinions with a diverse and intelligent group of people, interactions that I value. As such it would matter to me were it was ever subject to any detrimental consequences as a result of the activities of those of us who provide the content that make it such an awesome space. Knowing that this community was, or being reassured that it was not, subject to any kind detrimental consequence would definitely matter to me, were any figure of authority prepared to offer such explanation after making such a dramatic announcement.

Ah, so it's a case of judicious caution. Well, that's a relief at least, thanks for the update. It is smart to take a proactive approach because nothing should b done to prejudice this case, we need to make sure that anybody found guilty be sent down for a long, long time.

@stretching it. least talking personal pov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

Why waste money keeping it alive. We could better spend the money on something worth while.
I tend to agree. I understand the grief people will feel - and the immediacy of the tragedy (see! I said 'tragedy' FFS!), but I am still put off by the very public grief. Most of it is well-meant, but some just appears a little self-indulgent. Confected outrage.
My overwhelming thought was that we guys have a huge investment in changing the mentality that makes us such a threat to the gender we adore so much.
There is a collective mentality thingo that has to be made so we can be accountable and responsible for the welfare of the species.
Women have some justification for feeling unsafe in our presence.
So do a lot of other guys.
We have to change that.

Blackcat! :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I tend to agree. I understand the grief people will feel - and the immediacy of the tragedy (see! I said 'tragedy' FFS!), but I am still put off by the very public grief. Most of it is well-meant, but some just appears a little self-indulgent. Confected outrage.
My overwhelming thought was that we guys have a huge investment in changing the mentality that makes us such a threat to the gender we adore so much.
There is a collective mentality thingo that has to be made so we can be accountable and responsible for the welfare of the species.
Women have some justification for feeling unsafe in our presence.
So do a lot of other guys.
We have to change that.

Blackcat! :thumbsu::thumbsu:

@ Princess Die phenomena.

aka Murdoch red tops' People's Princess.

Her death was good to exploit for Interflora. This solipsism of public grief must have been studied by some psychologists, I have already posted on this. My lay intuition would tell me tht rubes need to confect artificial emotion, and public grieving has been this pathology

Remove this Banner Ad

Back