jimi hendrix or frank zappa

Remove this Banner Ad

hendrix was exceptional, greatest guitarist hands down (followed by harrison and clapton)

zappa, a little alternative at best but as a music buff i respect his work, especially the mothers of invention and captain beefheart

Originally posted by materamagic
hendrix was exceptional, greatest guitarist hands down (followed by harrison and clapton)

Are you saying George Harrison is better than Clapton and Page? Sorry mate, but Harrison wouldn't rate in the top 200.

Originally posted by bunsen burner
Are you saying George Harrison is better than Clapton and Page? Sorry mate, but Harrison wouldn't rate in the top 200.

this was my opinion, you don't have to agree or even think i am trying to influence anyone else otherwise.

if you listened to every harrison solo he even recorded you would get a great appreciation of just how timely and fluid his playing was. I could list 150 plus songs that demonstrate that.

Some top rated guitarists are theatrical and trick loaded, George was pure, timely and melodic, almost like a vocal at times, nearly as effective and no one else can bend those strings like he does, so said eric clapton himself of their 91 Japan tour. In my opinion Harrison is a shue in top 10.

Knophler and Chuck Berry are also top guitarists. Without Chuck, all would not of been possible, that also goes for the formative blues guitar legends such as Johnson and BB King

this was my opinion, you don't have to agree or even think i am trying to influence anyone else otherwise.

if you listened to every harrison solo he even recorded you would get a great appreciation of just how timely and fluid his playing was. I could list 150 plus songs that demonstrate that.

Some top rated guitarists are theatrical and trick loaded, George was pure, timely and melodic, almost like a vocal at times, nearly as effective and no one else can bend those strings like he does, so said eric clapton himself of their 91 Japan tour. In my opinion Harrison is a shue in top 10.

Knophler and Chuck Berry are also top guitarists. Without Chuck, all would not of been possible, that also goes for the formative blues guitar legends such as Johnson and BB King
As long as you are willing to accept that this is your opinion and almost no professional music journos would have him anywhere near the same league as Page, Clapton, or even Knofler, Van Halen, or Richards, Young, Satriani etc.

Originally posted by bunsen burner
As long as you are willing to accept that this is your opinion and almost no professional music journos would have him anywhere near the same league as Page, Clapton, or even Knofler, Van Halen, or Richards, Young, Satriani etc.

.......or Zappa.

he is rated extremey highly by other artists, and i think other artists are more credible and qualified than a journo anyday

he is rated extremey highly by other artists, and i think other artists are more credible and qualified than a journo anyday
Such as? How would you know? Did you see some sort of obituary docco after his death and all fellow musicians said nice thinbs about him? Hardly surprising.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're on about. There are plenty of bands that have been influenced by the Beatles as a whole, but not too many guitarists who have been influenced by George Harrison.

As for journos - I think most top line Guitar magazine journos would know. And they don't rate george harrison anywhere near those others that have been mentioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eric clapton, 10 years b4 harrisons death said george was the greatest exponent of slide playing and jeff lynne also said this various stages of his career. dead or not, musicians appreciated his technique. I am not some dummy, I distinguish between the beatles and dont measure each solo artist from that band on the bands achievements and merits each has their own style

eric clapton, 10 years b4 harrisons death said george was the greatest exponent of slide playing and jeff lynne also said this various stages of his career.

1) I wouldn't take Eric Clapton's opinion too seriously. This is the guy who used to claim that Buddy Guy was the world's greatest guitarist. Buddy Guy was good, but not that good. Not even close actually. Just happened to be Clapton's personal favourite at the time. Maybe he also still feels guilty about stealing Harrison's wife?

2) Slide guitar doesn't equal guitar. Besides, many would rate Duane Allman, Ry Cooder, Mark Knofler, and Ron Wood (to name a few) as better exponents at the slide.

I haven't listened much to Zappa, Hendrix was a god amongst mortals. Will have to give Zappa some listening to considering the high praise in here.

I’d start with Hot Rats then Overnite Sensation then One Size Fits All then Joe’s Garage.

But he made so many great albums in his short time on Earth ,The Grand Wazzoo,Apostrophe,Lumpy Gravy.

You would have a pretty cool collection with those albums.

Or get the Live at Roxy dvd,cd set at jb,brillant live performance and it sounds incredible.

They're completely different. Hendrix is rock/blues and a lot easier to get into but there are great rewards to be had if you're prepared to dive into the jazz/rock/blues/crazy that is Zappa. He did a lot of stuff that I find hard to listen to and a lot of stuff I find quite silly but Hot Rats is a masterpiece and I love Cosmic Debris off Apostrophe.

zappa, but i haven't spent much time listening to hendrix, which is a bit silly given my tastes. either laziness or so busy listening to other music i suppose.

zappa was also a very good lyricist (not always including his more scatological work) and studio wizard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back