JLT - Lions v Hawkes - Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex Sunday arvo

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane going north ....Hawthorn going south

Oh, and this is also wrong compared to last year. Average losing margin of Hawthorn vs Brisbane last year was 44.5, so we've pegged that back by 2.5 points today with our Box Hill team. Based on that, we've taken a step forward, Brisbane a step back.

Things I've learned.

Hawks fans opinions of JLT changed massively in 3 days.
Some of ours haven't, after the Carlton game i was exclusively talking about how impressed i was with Walsh.

Thats what these games are for, testing new things and trying out youth.

After today you can see we dont have someone like a McCluggage, Rayner or Walsh. But that doesn't mean there is noone to be impressed with.

IMO dont believe Cousins has the same ceiling as McCluggage but he was the 2nd best mid today behind Neale. He has talent. And he wasn't alone.

Footy isnt a Zero Sum Game.

Port went ballistic in the last quarter yesterday when Ryder dominated the centre bouncers after Jacobs went off. So that’s a great observation my friend and I won’t be surprised to see the two ruckman come back into vogue after the dust settles with this new rule.

Exactly! Port had periods of dominance through out the game yesterday when they had their best mids feeding off Ryder. We had no ruck and were missing the best mid in the game and his sidekick.

Long season ahead for Hawthorn. No Mitchell means they cannot be competitive in 2019.

17 best 22 players not playing today you idiot.

Roughead
Mitchell
McEvoy
Burgoyne
O’Meara
Frawley
Birchall
Hardwick
Smith
Gunston
Wingard
Scully
Breust
Stratton
Shiels
Puopolo
Henderson

Even our more cynical fans were raving about McCarthy - someone even mentioned GAJ! Neale and Lyons also went very well. Some great additions.

I know that Neale will have the most focus and Lyon is a free hit, but McCarthy's upside is massive

Pound for pound one of the toughest players in terms of holding his position/feet, quick and smart. He was a steal

17 best 22 players not playing today you idiot.

Roughead
Mitchell
McEvoy
Burgoyne
O’Meara
Frawley
Birchall
Hardwick
Smith
Gunston
Wingard
Scully
Breust
Stratton
Shiels
Puopolo
Henderson
Which of those players are going to replace Mitchell's disposal and clearance dominance?

Hawthorn are in for a world of hurt. Ageing list and they've lost their most important player for the season. Absolute locks to miss the top 8.

Which of those players are going to replace Mitchell's disposal and clearance dominance?

Hawthorn are in for a world of hurt. Ageing list and they've lost their most important player for the season. Absolute locks to miss the top 8.

Will finish above essendon. There were two happy groups on Thursday, Carlton fans and bookies who took a stack of cash on an essendon success in 2019

Will bookmark this post when Hawthorn make the eight and beat Essendon again.

Collectively , from that list I'd say the following will have some impact in that area:
O'Meara,
McEvoy,
Shiels

With others that rotate through the middle on that list capable of winning clearances and contested ball being:
Wingard,
Breust,
Puopolo,
Roughead

With :
Smith
Scully
Henderson

able to fill in some of Tom's outside possessions

Mitchell as the leading disposal and clearance winner for 2018 is obviously irreplaceable in terms of like-for-like, but we have plenty of players that can help take up the slack that were not out there today, and a few that were that will likely contribute too like Worpel and Cousins.

Will be hard for us to make the 8 without him, and I wouldn't be placing money on us playing finals, but neither would I be betting against it. Things look pretty good for next year though. None of the players we are highly reliant on likely to retire at the end of this year, and a lot more games into the kids should set us up well for 2020, especially if we get at least one or two more decent recruits from this year's trade period (key forward and one more mid probably the most pressing).

Last edited:
LMAO

How predictable it would be that campaigners would be slagging and dismissing Hawthorn off in this thread. A preseason game, wow. The Lions smacked the Hawks twice last year in the regular fixtures yet Hawthorn finished top 4. West Coast got demolished by Freo and supposedly Freo were going to have a strong year, West Coast were finished and their rebuild was poor compared to the level-above dockers.

Awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah

Ah the old "hawks are falling off a cliff' diatribe. Rinse and repeat boys. Rinse and repeat.

Ah
Ah the old "hawks are falling off a cliff' diatribe. Rinse and repeat boys. Rinse and repeat.
He probably didn't even watch the game just recycling his comments from 2 years ago and just hoping this year he will be right. I would be happier as a hawk supporter than a dons supporters based on what I have seen so far and how much each team can improve.

He probably didn't even watch the game just recycling his comments from 2 years ago and just hoping this year he will be right. I would be happier as a hawk supporter than a dons supporters based on what I have seen so far and how much each team can improve.
Why would you be feeling happier than a Dons supporter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back