Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes there are players that are good at VFL level, but flourish at AFL level with better kicks to the advantage of smaller and quicker players and then once said player has the ball there are better players becoming options at the contest or further down the field than at VFL level.

Joe might just be one of the players.

Clean below his knees, insanely good hands (those handballs were silk), pace and above average kicking skills.

We might have something here.

Not relevant to this thread, but Leggy also had a ripper reaction just like that when Darcy Moore made a crucial tackle about 65m out from the Eagles goal. You just love to see it
Leggy's reactions/celebrations are priceless. They are their own little sideshow when you are at a match live. Love him.

That was the best debut I've seen since Nick Daicos.

What stood out most to me was his composure, decision making and skill execution by hand and foot. Incredible from a debutant.

It also looked like he had pace, contested when he needed to go and had second efforts.

It all translated to score involvements.

A very complete game. I hope he carries on with it.

That kick was 10/10.

From my seat I had the perfect view of it - his body language, facial expression, and the way the ball moved in the air from Joe's boot to Fin's hands.

It was the kick of an AFL player in his prime, not a first gamer.

What a fantastic surprise this debut performance was yesterday

His first shot on goal was another beautiful kick from the position he was in. Missed by a bees dick.

That was the best debut I've seen since Nick Daicos.

What stood out most to me was his composure, decision making and skill execution by hand and foot. Incredible from a debutant.

It also looked like he had pace, contested when he needed to go and had second efforts.

It all translated to score involvements.

A very complete game. I hope he carries on with it.

Very clean hands, and quick from hand to foot or getting the handball out. Harrison has similar qualities so they will work well together inside 50 over time.

Very clean hands, and quick from hand to foot or getting the handball out. Harrison has similar qualities so they will work well together inside 50 over time.

I wonder if forward is Richards best position? I like him at half forward. He struck me as someone who could do wing and maybe midfield too. It's only one game but I was really impressed.

I wonder if forward is Richards best position? I like him at half forward. He struck me as someone who could do wing and maybe midfield too. It's only one game but I was really impressed.

Possibly but I’d need to see him when the ball is being moved more slowly. Being able to hit it at pace coming out of the forward 50m worked to his advantage. Obviously we would have been kicking more chaos balls against the Eagles due to the lack of Checkers and Billy too.

wow, makes you wonder how he got overlooked. Maybe he lacks a bit of depth in his kicking but that's all I could fault from that vision
Small. Under developed at a young age, not everyone is ready to play at 18. Sometimes you have to wait for the right time.

wow, makes you wonder how he got overlooked. Maybe he lacks a bit of depth in his kicking but that's all I could fault from that vision

His mum spoke about it when they were interviewed post match on mothers day.

Shit timing. Got injured in his under 18 year so didn't get drafted. Went back and played local footy. Was set to play for Carlton when covid hit and it hit for 2 years. Then starred when his league opened again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh if I could be bothered trawling through some dribble i would find a few "not good enough for VFL" quotes about this young man on here. Should have screenshotted for receipts.

He played murray bushrangers u18's, so clearly was good enough as a junior, who knows what happened after. the O&M league is probably the best country league and one of the best local footy leagues in victoria, so no mean feat completely dominating it.

Few pre seasons and exposure to the elite level has him ripe to go. Big selection dilemma once everyone is fit. Rapt for him

That kick was 10/10.

From my seat I had the perfect view of it - his body language, facial expression, and the way the ball moved in the air from Joe's boot to Fin's hands.

It was the kick of an AFL player in his prime, not a first gamer.

What a fantastic surprise this debut performance was yesterday
I had a great view of it too - that totally unexpected change in direction, perfectly weighted, bang on target, pass was the best Naicos impersonation I’ve seen.

Clubs are monitoring him given all our small forwards depth to see if they can pluck him out given he is out of contract this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think we have too much to worry about given Elliott is nearer the end than the start, and Beau and Harvey are likely destined for more midfield time.

I don’t think we have too much to worry about given Elliott is nearer the end than the start, and Beau and Harvey are likely destined for more midfield time.
And if he's as good a bloke as everyone says surely he's loyal to the club which gave him this opportunity.

And his mum loves us.

Plus Richards's skillset would give him positional flexibility. Could be a very nice wing based on that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back