Johann Wagner

Remove this Banner Ad

Will he go back to Centrals? He could develop into a handy player at state league level, Good luck Yoey

I like Yoey but he isnt up to it im afraid. He is barely SANFL standard.
He'll probably find his way back to Centrals but then im not even convinced he'd get a regular league gig

Good free publicity for Port but i would be VERY surprised if anyone from future "the recruits" ever plays an AFL game

.... i would be VERY surprised if anyone from future "the recruits" ever plays an AFL game
Nah I could see it. There is some process for picking the contestants to begin with before the reality-show sifting begins. If the show ever gets properly going we may find the pool of country footy stars etc increases and the starting group for the show containing a higher pool of talent.
It may not be the winner of a series who makes it but the reality-show format means it's not necessarily the best raw footy player who wins and club recruiters may pick up on some of the others. Delisted contestant Padraig Lucey was rookied to Geelong, although to date he has proved your point.

I like Yoey but he isnt up to it im afraid. He is barely SANFL standard.
He'll probably find his way back to Centrals but then im not even convinced he'd get a regular league gig

Good free publicity for Port but i would be VERY surprised if anyone from future "the recruits" ever plays an AFL game
I dunno he's got enough going for him to improve at state league level I reckon, we've seen it before though guys that have speed & reasonable skills that just struggle to get near the bloody pill.

If he is over 23 then the Magpies cant sign him up. They banned us from over 23ers when we signed up Krak and Biemans and we made a GF. Summo as the Leadership player can be over 23.

With the limited talent pool already in the AFL the chance of dragging some unknown talent out of amateur footy that succeeds in the AFL is about zero. I mean, we have people like Dennis Armfield running around surely no stone is left unturned. Great publicity for the club, pointless comp in the end though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the limited talent pool already in the AFL the chance of dragging some unknown talent out of amateur footy that succeeds in the AFL is about zero. I mean, we have people like Dennis Armfield running around surely no stone is left unturned. Great publicity for the club, pointless comp in the end though

Nah, I disagree completely. There is no evidence to suggest that the current recruiting system is accurate or effective. In fact, it is obviously not.

Junior footballers are shoehorned into a development pathway at the age of about 13 and if you aren't in that pathway it becomes hard to make it to even VFL/WAFL/SANFL level. Players are recruited into the AFL system at the age of 18 and, if overlooked at their first opportunity to be drafted, are largely damaged goods and find it incredibly difficult to get drafted in future years. This has changed somewhat in recent times but still has a long way to go.

The whole system is designed for prodigies such as Wines, Wingard, etc, but doesn't make much allowance at all for late developers both in physical terms and football terms. For every Michael Barlow that persists and ends up with a good AFL career there will be a couple of dozen players of equivalent potential who give up and don't make it. Between the early teenage years and the early 20s, there are ample opportunities for talented guys to fall through the cracks.

Does anyone really think that Wagner couldn't be a half decent AFL player with the same level of time and support invested into him as say Ben Jacobs? But one gets all of the chances in the world because he was a first round pick at the age of 18 and the other doesn't really get a sniff because he was a category B rookie so we will never actually know.

I'd love us to keep Wagner on at the Magpies if we're able to do so. I don't think he'll ever make it as an AFL footballer, but he definitely showed some signs this season that he could be a good SANFL player. He's got some really nice physical attributes as well

I'd love us to keep Wagner on at the Magpies if we're able to do so. I don't think he'll ever make it as an AFL footballer, but he definitely showed some signs this season that he could be a good SANFL player. He's got some really nice physical attributes as well
I disagree, he's got a half decent highlight reel for someone with 4-5 touches per game. Check it out
If he spent more time chasing the ball, rather than just waiting for it like a spud in the ground. He could be pretty good but this is pure speculation I haven't seen anything close to AFL.

I disagree, he's got a half decent highlight reel for someone with 4-5 touches per game. Check it out
If he spent more time chasing the ball, rather than just waiting for it like a spud in the ground. He could be pretty good but this is pure speculation I haven't seen anything close to AFL.

He's very good once he has the ball in hand, he just doesn't find it anywhere near enough, even at SANFL level.

Nah, I disagree completely. There is no evidence to suggest that the current recruiting system is accurate or effective. In fact, it is obviously not.

Junior footballers are shoehorned into a development pathway at the age of about 13 and if you aren't in that pathway it becomes hard to make it to even VFL/WAFL/SANFL level. Players are recruited into the AFL system at the age of 18 and, if overlooked at their first opportunity to be drafted, are largely damaged goods and find it incredibly difficult to get drafted in future years. This has changed somewhat in recent times but still has a long way to go.

The whole system is designed for prodigies such as Wines, Wingard, etc, but doesn't make much allowance at all for late developers both in physical terms and football terms. For every Michael Barlow that persists and ends up with a good AFL career there will be a couple of dozen players of equivalent potential who give up and don't make it. Between the early teenage years and the early 20s, there are ample opportunities for talented guys to fall through the cracks.

Does anyone really think that Wagner couldn't be a half decent AFL player with the same level of time and support invested into him as say Ben Jacobs? But one gets all of the chances in the world because he was a first round pick at the age of 18 and the other doesn't really get a sniff because he was a category B rookie so we will never actually know.
Big difference between Wagner and Jacobs was that Wagner was showing some promise but a car crash when he was 17 or 18 and the injuries he pickked up, meant he didnt play footy for a couple of years

A couple of SANFL sides lacking in talent could do worse than plonking Yoey at half forward & pumping some games into him IMO.
Yeah, I can see that happening. Just a question are you guys seeing the links that I posted? sorry I just cant see them

Ahh cool, something must be wrong with my browser then, I have adblock off as well :S

it's a shame that in the dead rubber final game against Freo that we couldn't have gifted Yoey a game, would have gave him something to reflect on later in life and say he played in the big league on Adelaide oval, the other delistings will probably go on and forge careers in other teams or at least in state levels competitions

it's a shame that in the dead rubber final game against Freo that we couldn't have gifted Yoey a game, would have gave him something to reflect on later in life and say he played in the big league on Adelaide oval, the other delistings will probably go on and forge careers in other teams or at least in state levels competitions
Then again, they wanted to give supporters one last win for the season. I doubt they would want to compromise it. I know we would have won still because they had their B grade team in. But still you get the jist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back