Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah you can still watch the video on youtube if you want to do irreparable damage to yourself
I might give that a miss.

I dunno what to say? Women don't enjoy sex? With him maybe.

I know he's pretty *en out there but Wilhelm Reich was right about guys like him and fascism in general.

I only know him from the 12 rules crap. Havent read up on what he is up to other than he has been unwell and seems to be pretty erratic.

The 12 rules stuff can be quite dangerous. In the end they are pretty bland statements or rules to improve your life but applying that across a spectrum of people just isn't feasible nor effective. I have detailed my own battles on other threads and how I cam out of it by putting controls in place that worked for me in getting sober, very successfully I might add however that doesn't mean what I did will work for anyone else who went through alcoholism, it would be arrogant for me to think so.

Ive been volunteering on Friday nights to help people when they are finishing up rehab (give something back) however it is more a supportive listening role and giving them confidence it can be done and life can be awesome though I never say "do what I did" as they have completely different set of circumstances that led them down that path, different personalities and most likely not the same support I was very privileged to have. What worked for me probably wont work for them. Hence cheap statements such as "clean your room, make your bed, be responsible" is nothing but meaningless sentiment.

I only know him from the 12 rules crap. Havent read up on what he is up to other than he has been unwell and seems to be pretty erratic.

The 12 rules stuff can be quite dangerous. In the end they are pretty bland statements or rules to improve your life but applying that across a spectrum of people just isn't feasible nor effective. I have detailed my own battles on other threads and how I cam out of it by putting controls in place that worked for me in getting sober, very successfully I might add however that doesn't mean what I did will work for anyone else who went through alcoholism, it would be arrogant for me to think so.

Ive been volunteering on Friday nights to help people when they are finishing up rehab (give something back) however it is more a supportive listening role and giving them confidence it can be done and life can be awesome though I never say "do what I did" as they have completely different set of circumstances that led them down that path, different personalities and most likely not the same support I was very privileged to have. What worked for me probably wont work for them. Hence cheap statements such as "clean your room, make your bed, be responsible" is nothing but meaningless sentiment.
Personally I didn’t find much to disagree with in that book.

Personally I didn’t find much to disagree with in that book.
Guess you missed the part about applying it across a spectrum of people

Nothing works for everyone and anyone selling a method that does is lying and therefore grifting

I'm amazed that in 2024 with an the information available that people still think it worked for me so it works for everyone is a thing

Guess you missed the part about applying it across a spectrum of people

Nothing works for everyone and anyone selling a method that does is lying and therefore grifting

I'm amazed that in 2024 with an the information available that people still think it worked for me so it works for everyone is a thing

But when the rules are as uncontroversial as they are? What is there to criticise about “clean your room” in the metaphorical or literal sense?

But when the rules are as uncontroversial as they are? What is there to criticise about “clean your room” in the metaphorical or literal sense?
That it's literally not advice that will work for everyone

Also if it's that banal what is the point of thinking he's some sort of smart person

It's just bull crap cheap lazy grifting

Of course he's gone where he has, he's got no morals and likes easy money

Also if it's that banal what is the point of thinking he's some sort of smart person

It's just bull crap cheap lazy grifting

Of course he's gone where he has, he's got no morals and likes easy money
Who won’t that advice work for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Marie Kondo can admit that what worked for her before becoming a parent wasn't the same as after surely you can understand that one size does not fit all
It doesn’t mean that everything before that was “grifting” though.
Someone with ME/CFS for starters

Or depression or literally any number of things
But it’s still the goal and what all adults should try to do. You wouldn’t suggest to someone with depression to not clean their room, or by extension not tend to the things in their life that need tending to.

That rule aside, we can’t just never give advice because it might not suit 100% of people.

It doesn’t mean that everything before that was “grifting” though.

But it’s still the goal and what all adults should try to do. You wouldn’t suggest to someone with depression to not clean their room, or by extension not tend to the things in their life that need tending to.

That rule aside, we can’t just never give advice because it might not suit 100% of people.
Keep missing the point

You wouldn’t suggest to someone with depression to not clean their room, or by extension not tend to the things in their life that need tending to.

Ever had a mental illness that was cured by cleaning your bedroom?

I don't get this, who says it has to?

There are many medications for example that fall into this category but are very useful.

I know you don't like the self help genre but they can be good for some people so long as they don't get addicted to them

I thought some of the rules were a pretty good framing of what well adjusted people should be doing. Particularly his comments on the trap of comparison to others in the modern context, and self respect and self care. He has some really good points here.

There was also a lot in the book I just didn't understand, (some religious tangents and other esoteric language when drawing on the Gulag Archpeligo), and some out and out horseshit like "men = order, women = chaos"

For the most part the advice seemed good. It's not like he was doing a Pete Evans or anything.

I don't get this, who says it has to?
ElectricG responded to a post saying it's dangerous to say this works for everyone with it worked for me.
Literally what is the point of that if not to disagree with the it won't work for everyone
They've continued to do that so I'm not sure why your asking me this and not them
There are many medications for example that fall into this category but are very useful.
Never suggested that there weren't but again if someone said medication x works for everyone we are in dangerous territory which is where the conversation was
I know you don't like the self help genre but they can be good for some people so long as they don't get addicted to them
I don't have a problem with self help but again the title is the clue, revering someone else for writing a book and saying they fixed you is 100% missing the point of the genre
I thought some of the rules were a pretty good framing of what well adjusted people should be doing.
And here lies the rub. "Well adjusted people"
Particularly his comments on the trap of comparison to others in the modern context, and self respect and self care. He has some really good points here.
They always do because that's how they sell their bullshit
There is literally nothing groundbreaking in any of these books it's like different diet clubs
There was also a lot in the book I just didn't understand, (some religious tangents and other esoteric language when drawing on the Gulag Archpeligo), and some out and out horseshit like "men = order, women = chaos"
A view into his conservative bullshit I'd think
For the most part the advice seemed good. It's not like he was doing a Pete Evans or anything.
But he is. Pete started off with eat healthy and now is doing his bullshit
JP started off with clean your room and now is doing his bullshit

Maybe not earth shatteringly ground breaking but Gralin what did you think about the part where he spoke about the difference between comparing yourself to the "cool/successful" guy/girl in small town Canada, and the more modern problem of comparing to people online?

I think there is some value in that, and it's definitely an evolving phenomenon: kids really think become a millionaire YouTuber or influence is a realistic option.

Maybe not earth shatteringly ground breaking but Gralin what did you think about the part where he spoke about the difference between comparing yourself to the "cool/successful" guy/girl in small town Canada, and the more modern problem of comparing to people online?

I think there is some value in that, and it's definitely an evolving phenomenon: kids really think become a millionaire YouTuber or influence is a realistic option.
I don't think it's a JP thing it's a general thing and that is my point.
He doesn't actually say anything new or important but he's an "intellectual" he's so far down the grift path now it doesn't matter beyond people defending his current bullshit based on his earlier work

ElectricG responded to a post saying it's dangerous to say this works for everyone with it worked for me.
Literally what is the point of that if not to disagree with the it won't work for everyone
They've continued to do that so I'm not sure why your asking me this and not them

Never suggested that there weren't but again if someone said medication x works for everyone we are in dangerous territory which is where the conversation was

I don't have a problem with self help but again the title is the clue, revering someone else for writing a book and saying they fixed you is 100% missing the point of the genre

And here lies the rub. "Well adjusted people"

They always do because that's how they sell their bullshit
There is literally nothing groundbreaking in any of these books it's like different diet clubs

A view into his conservative bullshit I'd think

But he is. Pete started off with eat healthy and now is doing his bullshit
JP started off with clean your room and now is doing his bullshit
My wife has an old Pete Evans cookbook. I've always thought he was a tosser but these recipes are good and are still worth cooking and eating.

Do I look back at them with more suspicion now? Probably. But there is still some value there. I see JP's book the same way.

My honest opinion is that he wasn't drawing us in slowly as part of some grifter's long game. Maybe he was, and I've been fooled, but I honestly think he was honest and flawed but sadly with time, and a combination of hubris, fame, trauma and illness has just completely lost the plot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back