Traded Josh Bruce

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it's a matter of opinion, but if that were the case then just about anyone playing senior football are ahead of McCartin.

Bruce has been fantastic this year, but if you ask me to predict who will have a better career I would say McCartin, and that is totally based on potential.

Paddy will get plenty of time to ply his craft and I expect big things of him but right as of this minute Bruce is becoming a very solid forward. At worst a Chris Dawes kind of career as a forward IMO. Best case he get better and better and becomes a potential coleman medalist or a very high level forward. Right now he is showing he can match it with most defenders. Paddy is on paper everything you want but anything can happen. Ask Xavier Clarke how much can go wrong in your career. I think Paddy is going to be good but I always prefer some form on paper before I call it. I had a mate who thought Beau Dowler was going to be a gun. Melbourne mates had three years of hoping Jack Watts would be special. Matty Kruezer can't get on the park. To me right now Bruce has to be in front.

That's true, I certainly wasn't expecting that from Bruce this year... I gues that's the aim though 2-3 goals from your 3rd forward.

Bruce has really been our first big forward this year.

3 a game is 66 goals. You would be delighted if your first key forward got those numbers. It is hard to do these days though as coaches look to achieve a spread of goal kickers. However it would be quite rare in any era that third tall got those numbers!

Bruce has really been our first big forward this year.

3 a game is 66 goals. You would be delighted if your first key forward got those numbers. It is hard to do these days though as coaches look to achieve a spread of goal kickers. However it would be quite rare in any era that third tall got those numbers!
J. Bruce has been huge for us this year, I love watching how much enjoyment he is getting out of the game, seems to be a really good team man and a good fit for the club hopefully a future leader. All this for pick 43

J. Bruce has been huge for us this year, I love watching how much enjoyment he is getting out of the game, seems to be a really good team man and a good fit for the club hopefully a future leader. All this for pick 43
You can tell that he enjoys his footy when playing forward. He does everything! Contested marks, brings the ball to ground, tackles, chases and kicks goals. Been a great find this year. Certainly surprised me.

Pick 48

A RUNNING capacity rivaling St Kilda superstar Nick Riewoldt is one of the secrets behind Josh Bruce's star turn in attack this season.

Bruce has booted 18 goals – including a career-best haul of six against Gold Coast in round two – to provide the Saints with a surprise marking target.

But his success has come as little shock to Saints ruckman Tom Hickey who played in the same national under-18 championships as Bruce, and has seen first-hand how hard the former Greater Western Sydney backman works to burn off his opponents.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-05-15/the-secret-behind-bruces-rise

With 2 bags of 5, and a bag of 6. Josh Bruce is sitting 4th on the Coleman medal tally just 4 goals behind leader Josh Kennedy.

“He dragged me against Geelong for missing a couple of 45s. He said, ‘You are killing us mate, so I am going to put you forward’.”

At that stage [midway through last year] 22-year-old Bruce was the answer to a trivia question — who was the first player ever selected by GWS — and not much more.

It was inconceivable that Richardson’s last-ditch experiment could have paid such rich rewards.

After seven rounds this season, Bruce is fourth on the Coleman Medal ladder, equal third in marks inside forward 50, and is the third-most accurate shot for goal in the league.

Right now he is the answer to this trivia question: which player is directly above Taylor Walker, Jack Riewoldt, Jarryd Roughead and Lance Franklin on the goalkicking ladder?

Not a bad article, a couple blunders involving the eventual pick swap as well as mentioning he was behind Tom Boyd (they were never on the list at the same time) and a strange quote or two:

“He is one of those good blokes who is a touch weird with his hairdo. He is quite a relaxed, philosophical character. If you saw him out and didn’t know he was a footballer you would say he is a stoner. But he’s really competitive.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-and-he-new-life/story-fnp04d70-1227365727315

Saturday was the first time I've seen Bruce as a forward live. While it wasn't his best game statistically, it was great to see how much ground he covers. A lot of supporters see him as another Gehrig, but he is much more like a Riewoldt. Runs his opponents into the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Brucey.

Want him to shave the man bun off though, but I'm worried it'll be the source of his power like Eli. Hasn't been the same since he cut the dreads off.
Samson syndrome.

What was said?

Talked about his performance and that he was a forward growing up etc

The impact of Roo how he sits with Bruce during his review with Sammy Hammill and also on the field the help. How his workrate is something he takes pride in, (although Roo sets the standard)

A bit of his 3 older brothers and playing jack in the pack

How internally the belief was strong and the club is been very transparent and open with the journey its on and the supporters understand where we are

We're so lucky we got a key fwd at pick 48. PICK 48!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Talked about his performance and that he was a forward growing up etc

The impact of Roo how he sits with Bruce during his review with Sammy Hammill and also on the field the help. How his workmate is something he takes pride in, (although Roo sets the standard)

A bit of his 3 older brothers and playing jack in the pack

How internally the belief was strong and the club is been very transparent and open with the journey its on and the supporters understand where we are

We're so lucky we got a key fwd at pick 48. PICK 48!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers for the summary mate.

Absolute steal!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back