Past Josh Drummond (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I'd love to see Drummo out on the park against Carlton as he seems to be saying in the article, don't you think he needs to be eased back into A-grade footy? Like maybe 75% of a game with Suncoast or something.

As much as I'd love to see Drummo out on the park against Carlton as he seems to be saying in the article, don't you think he needs to be eased back into A-grade footy? Like maybe 75% of a game with Suncoast or something.

Spot on. Will be eased back with about 50% of a game in ressies before we see him I reckon. Too valuable to risk.

Leigh Matthews says:

"Josh Drummond will be available to play this weekend but it's a selection issue of where we play him. Josh distributes the ball out of the backline better than just about anyone in the competition but he hasn't played for six weeks. He would have played on the weekend if we had somewhere to play him. He's had plenty of time to recover so it's purely a selection decision as to whether we bring him straight back into the seniors or not."

It has been suggested on the Melbourne board that we're going to be chasing the lad at seasons end. Just interested to know if there is any truth to him being wantaway or anything like that.

Truth be told, he is a fantastic player and would have him at the club in a heart beat but I think we need to focus on KPP's. Apparently we would be offering a key back man for his services which sounds silly as we don't have the best tall backmen in the league by any stretch. Anyways, thought you might be interested in the rumor but nothing will come of it I don't think.

PS give back TJ:p

It has been suggested on the Melbourne board that we're going to be chasing the lad at seasons end. Just interested to know if there is any truth to him being wantaway or anything like that.

Truth be told, he is a fantastic player and would have him at the club in a heart beat but I think we need to focus on KPP's. Apparently we would be offering a key back man for his services which sounds silly as we don't have the best tall backmen in the league by any stretch. Anyways, thought you might be interested in the rumor but nothing will come of it I don't think.

PS give back TJ:p

Carlton offered him big dollars last year but he re-signed with Brisbane for the next 3 years. Would have thought you've missed that boat.

'He could kick this'.

Vossy on Drummond, just before he goals from the centre square.

drummondmr7.jpg

When Gram(?) finally got a run in the Saints side and made a pretty big impact, m first thought was that we would regret not being able to keep him in Brisbane. But along comes Josh, and you know, I' not sorry at all.

he is always dangerous anywhere from 60m from goal. few times last year we were taking marks around the 50, then handballing off to drumo to slot them thru. its not just the distance he gets with those kicks, but he hits them more times than not as well. is just a wonderful kick.

with roe, merrett and patful, we really dont need drumo as a main defender. he is worth having in the side, just to do our kick ins. its so much better having someone take 2 steps and hitting the chest of a runner 60m out. its those kind of kicks that get us going quick into our forwards, not the stuffing around chip kicks to the pocket that we were doing.

think he does a really good job as a floating defender too.

Link

Drummond's importance to Brisbane was shown in the fact he was bought straight back into the team without having to go through the reserves.His precision kicking from the back half often sets up a lot of Brisbane's attacking thrusts, but the raking left-footer says he's just doing his job.
"My endurance isn't great, I'm not overly quick so Leigh makes a point to work on your weaknesses but you have to make your strength a real strength and make them stand out," he said.
"I don't have the pace to burn blokes off and I don't have the endurance to run blokes off so I've got to use other strengths."

Link

Despite receiving plenty of treatment on a suspect quad, Josh Drummond still managed 19 first-half disposals, including 13 kicks from his radar-like left boot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though he missed a few targets today I don't think it is any coincidence that we have looked our sharpest since Drummond has been back in the side. His ability to kick long and accurately not only gives him more options, but it gives the other players confidence to run hard and create space. And when everyone's got that little bit of extra time suddenly we start looking like a fairly skillful side.

I reckon he was BOG yesterday until half time.

Absolute gun and if he can keep the body right, he'll be one of the biggest names in the AFL by next year! :thumbsu:

According to the AFL stats, he had 4 clangers, the same as Sherman and Rischitelli. Granted, he had more of the ball but he also had the luxury of no opponent - by right, given his role in the team and the latitude he was given by St Kilda, we are entitled to expect a mistake free game. I thought he was great but it is a bit rough criticising Shermo for his game and then praising Drummo.

Yep, Montagna gets under the radar a bit, but he's quick he runs straight at goal and infintitely more damaging than any of Ball, Hayes or Harvey. Sherman stitching him up blunts their only true goalkicking midfielder. Huge win for us.

I was stunned they let Drummond play loose man for so long. Isn't anyone in the StKilda coaching staff doing SuperCoach?

According to the AFL stats, he had 4 clangers, the same as Sherman and Rischitelli. Granted, he had more of the ball but he also had the luxury of no opponent - by right, given his role in the team and the latitude he was given by St Kilda, we are entitled to expect a mistake free game. I thought he was great but it is a bit rough criticising Shermo for his game and then praising Drummo.

i was at game and i thought his first half, first quarter especially was pretty bloody average. he got plenty of cheap ball but wasted it. was very unlike him tho and i doubt it will happen often. i would definitely consider it an off game for drummo, even tho he did end up playing ok.

he is known for his decision making and good foot skills, so that probably makes him look worse than he was.

Link

Josh Drummond leads the way in attack
Article from:
Andrew Hamilton
May 30, 2008 12:00am

IN the tactical war that is an AFL game, the Brisbane Lions find themselves in an enviable position. The defensive tactic most sides employ against them has suddenly turned into a major advantage – thanks to Josh Drummond.
The majority of AFL sides use a loose man in defence to assist their back six cope with the Lions' bulldozing spearheads Jonathan Brown and Daniel Bradshaw.
The theory, which makes sense, is that one-on-one the dynamic duo are too strong for most defenders, especially if the ball comes in quickly and cleanly.
So teams stack their backline, which leaves them a man short in their own attack, a mismatch the Lions' defence has used to stunning effect.
The plan is simple – use the extra man to launch the next attacking wave.
Joel MacDonald, Ash McGrath and Jason Roe all have the licence to run and carry the ball and to go long into attack. But the man whose hands the Lions most want the ball in is Drummond.
The elevated Sunshine Coast rookie injured his quad against Collingwood in round 2 and didn't return until round 8 against Carlton.
Drummond's left foot is among the most penetrating and damaging in the AFL and he has added a new dimension to Brisbane's attack.
At training yesterday, young ruckman Matthew Leuenberger dropped into a hole in defence, suggesting the Lions expect the Kangaroos to adopt the same tactics at the Gabba tomorrow night.
Coach Leigh Matthews stopped short of saying he liked to see opponents adopt the tactic, but he confessed his players could turn it to their advantage.
"It is a by-product," he said. "We can't stop an opposition playing a spare in our forward fifty, but it means we have a spare in our back fifty.
"Drummond does it (rebounds) well. He is one of those rare players that have a precision 50m kick. Most players can't be precise over that distance."

drummondcq4.jpg

GOOD kick ... Josh Drummond's left foot is among the most penetrating and damaging in the AFL and he has added a new dimension to Brisbane's attack.

The obvious response is to leave Strawb unguarded and cover Drummond the moment Brisbane gets possession -- hoping that we end up funnelling through Merrett and he ends up kicking to a turnover.

However, Strawb's run and give has actually been pretty decent of late, so it's not quite the problem it was last year. In fact, one dart he kicked across his line coming out out of the pocket last weekend was a work of art.

Strawb just has to be ready to plow straight up the guts if he feels they're sitting off him at all. The third time he hits up a target inside F50, they'll toss that plan out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back