Apr 19, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
mellington_joshua.jpg

Height: 187cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 29/12/92
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers (Vic)

Kevin Sheehan says: Clever opportunist around goals and in one-on-one marking situations. Kicked 38.16 in 15 matches for the the Bushrangers this year. Tackles well inside forward 50.

No videos or draft profiles I can find.

Finished Runner-up in the TAC Cup goal-kicking award.

Articles
Mellington hopes Dogs bite
Shocked Mellington heads west

Shocked Mellington heads west

FREMANTLE didn’t subscribe to the theory that Josh Mellington was an outside draft chance after selecting the Benalla forward with their third pick last night.

“It’s a great honour to go anywhere,” the Murray Bushrangers graduate told The Border Mail last night.

“I haven’t been to Perth before.

“I’m speechless at the minute. I don’t think it’s sunk in properly yet.”

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/draft-shocked-mellington-heads-west/2002128.aspx

Who's Jackson Sketcher, and did he get drafted??

Nah he didn't & for that matter wasn't even invited to the combine or state screening which means not enough clubs , if any , put his name forward.
Seems very strange for someone to win the medal & not get a mention anywhere.
Maybe a rookie position in there somewhere.

Bummer hey? The must be either a glaring deficiency in either his game or character. Maybe we'll never hear the name again but as you said, very strange not to get a callup after joint winning the Morrish Medal.

In more Mellington related news, this kid sounds like he has an incredibly level-headed attitude and nerves of steel for a kid that's just turned 17. He spoke very well when interviewed by Lloydy in front of the media yesterday.

Not that strange...

Anton Woods, Farran Priest, Fortunato Caruso (double consecutive winner), Mungara Brown have all won Morrish medals in the past 8 years and not got drafted at all.

Many players miss 5+ voting games by playing at the National U18 Championships and a number also play in the private school competition.

I was pretty impressed with his first game. He's obviously hard at it and has a nice confident field kick on him. Good build on him too.

Missed a couple of shots but his technique looks pretty sound so I'll put that down to debut jitters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was pretty impressed with his first game. He's obviously hard at it and has a nice confident field kick on him. Good build on him too.

Missed a couple of shots but his technique looks pretty sound so I'll put that down to debut jitters.

No, he consistently get 1-3, 2-4 for WP. It's an area he really needs to work on. But if his technique looks okay as you say, there is no reason he won't improve if he wants/has to.

I thought his first game was solid.
Put his body over the ball a few times and certainly showed some chase and tackle.
Would've loved him to kick a goal, but here's hoping for next week!

No, he consistently get 1-3, 2-4 for WP. It's an area he really needs to work on.

Earlier in the thread it says he kicked 38.16 the year before we drafted him so there must be something there.

This was the first time I'd ever seen him play so I'll reserve judgement till I've seen a bit more of him, but yeah, his technique looks pretty smooth and sound to me at first look.

Earlier in the thread it says he kicked 38.16 the year before we drafted him so there must be something there.

This was the first time I'd ever seen him play so I'll reserve judgement till I've seen a bit more of him, but yeah, his technique looks pretty smooth and sound to me at first look.

Don't get me wrong i thought he was terrific. but when i saw his goal to points ratio for WP my immediate thoughts went to how many players we have in our forward line (if Pavs not there) that are not very good kicks for goal.

Best part of his game was the punch into space for MJ to run onto.

Not enough players have enough of a clue to not take posession of the ball.

More punches/taps please.

Very very little thing i know, but i liked when he gave the sheppard for the big fella to run in and kick his 5th and you could see at the back of the screen the kid punching the air as if he had kicked it himself.
Showed to me that he was just as happy to help a teammate kick one as he is to kick one himself.

Oh and hes got some mongrel, doesn't mind a bit of a push and shove and telling someone if they done something wrong.

Very very little thing i know, but i liked when he gave the sheppard for the big fella to run in and kick his 5th and you could see at the back of the screen the kid punching the air as if he had kicked it himself.
Showed to me that he was just as happy to help a teammate kick one as he is to kick one himself.

Oh and hes got some mongrel, doesn't mind a bit of a push and shove and telling someone if they done something wrong.

Didnt go unnoticed here Wiz, believe me when I saw him do that and then the preceding 'happy punch' I realised we have a player here! :thumbsu:

Yep, same. It's just a shame he's in direct competition with a few fwd pressure gems. After a few pre-seasons when his tanks' a bit bigger and he can push into the midfield we could fit all these high pressure fwds into the side. :) Love the boy's intent. de Boer-like. Just needs to keep it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back