Jules Bianchi Incident

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes sense to me, as race director Charlie's conduct would be a large part of the investigation. It would be kind of (but not entirely) like a cop who was accused of excessive force investigating the alleged offence they may have committed.

Makes sense to me, as race director Charlie's conduct would be a large part of the investigation. It would be kind of (but not entirely) like a cop who was accused of excessive force investigating the alleged offence they may have committed.
Yeah, SJ got me thinking that this way it's more independent which is probably a good thing.

2 weeks is not enough time for the swelling in his brain to completely subside. id be surprised if they switched off his ventilator now. Needs more time.

If I remember rightly, hakkinan received a similar injury at stag turn. Two surgeons specializing in stabilizing road trauma victims had positioned themselves there as it was the fastest and most dangerous bend on the track. They had been studying head injuries and found most that did not recuperate or live, had been affected by the amount of blood rushing to the brain. I believe they imeaditaley drilled a hole to drain the blood from the swelling in Hakkinens brain, as a result of the accident. Within minutes he was in hospital. Apparently this is credited as what saved hakkinen from being at best, a vegetable.

Took nearly 2 hours for Bianchi to get the same treatment. His injury is purely a shock injury, brain wide.

Now, the white elephant in the room here is how f1 politics will effect what happens to Bianchi. White Elephantaphobia is strong in this forum.

FIA have released the report into the accident. Haven't read it myself but apparently says things along the lines of "jules didn't slow down enough for the flags"

Disappointing from the FIA if true :(

FIA have released the report into the accident. Haven't read it myself but apparently says things along the lines of "jules didn't slow down enough for the flags"

Disappointing from the FIA if true :(
Well he may not have. We can't hold him on a pedestal just because. Drivers never slow down enough for flags so we can't ignore it as a possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he may not have. We can't hold him on a pedestal just because. Drivers never slow down enough for flags so we can't ignore it as a possibility.
Agree re the pedestal, it was a factor. But if we, casual observers, know drivers don't slow down enough, race control should know too, and IMHO should have sent out the safety car before the crane.

Link to JA on the report:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/...s-of-10-man-panels-report-into-bianchi-crash/

Last edited:
During the 2 seconds Bianchi’s car was leaving the track and traversing the run-off area, he applied both throttle and brake together, using both feet. The FailSafe algorithm is designed to over-ride the throttle and cut the engine, but was inhibited by the Torque Coordinator, which controls the rear Brake-by-Wire system. Bianchi’s Marussia has a unique design of BBW, which proved to be incompatible with the FailSafe settings.

Now that's interesting.

Agree re the pedestal, it was a factor. But if we, casual observers, know drivers don't slow down enough, race control should know too, and IMHO should have sent out the safety car before the crane.

Link to JA on the report:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/...s-of-10-man-panels-report-into-bianchi-crash/

I did like this one.

"Seems the FIA is basically saying, that Bianchi was nearly killed according to procedures and regulations. They are not about to shoot themselves in the foot and take any blame."

Yep. It's certainly not his fault. If he did slow sufficiently he would lose 5 or more seconds a lap to everyone else. It's the complete lack of enforcement of the 'slow down and be prepared to stop (or whatever it is exactly)' wording of double waved yellows that plays a big part in situations like this.

Wasn't his tires pretty well phuqed as well? Arn't drivers loathed to slow until the saftey car is called so they can duck into the pits?

Sounds like driver and engineer culture is being blamed

Yeah, but there's also the fact that a crane was in one of the most likely run-off areas in atrocious conditions....

Yeah, but there's also the fact that a crane was in one of the most likely run-off areas in atrocious conditions....
In no way disputing that. But, as SJ said, drivers never slow down enough in yellow flag areas, particularly double yellows. Not his fault, nobody does it. But it can't be discounted as a factor was my point.

In no way disputing that. But, as SJ said, drivers never slow down enough in yellow flag areas, particularly double yellows. Not his fault, nobody does it. But it can't be discounted as a factor was my point.
Yep, not disputing that

I did like this one.

"Seems the FIA is basically saying, that Bianchi was nearly killed according to procedures and regulations. They are not about to shoot themselves in the foot and take any blame."
Summed it up well. As does the headline in the following piece.

10fvt00.jpg

http://bit.ly/1BfMa0H

Remove this Banner Ad

Back