Coaching Footy Junior Footy - Better Structure - Spine v. On Ball division

Remove this Banner Ad

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was having an interesting philosophical discussion with another junior coach the other day in relation to how best to use a junior team's 'better' players when a game is on the line.

Notwithstanding the fact that the key focus needs to be around fun, fairness and development of each and every player, everyone who has coached a junior sporting team knows there are also time when decisions need to be made to give your team the best opportunity to win a match, be it a home and away match to get into the finals, or a finals match itself.

On many occasions, the 'better' players are usually also the 'bigger' players, so a decision needs to be made as to whether the better structure of the side is:
1. A Grade Spine with a B Grade On-Ball Division;
2. B Grade Spine with an A Grade On-Ball Division.

Without declaring what my personal view is, I'm interested to hear the views of others on this, particularly those junior coaches who have had this dilemma in the past.

Note - I am referring to Under 11's and above, where zones are no longer used.

IMO put your better players in the middle and forward half. Put the lesser players in defence.

Playing in the backline is easier so the less skilled players will still be able to contribute.

If you use your better players behind the ball you'll find it hard to score plus the ball will keep coming down there so will eventually concede anyway.

well if you have he luxury just make sure you have at least 1 of your big/better players on every line but you could get away with the full back line...that way you'll have at least 2 at every "contest"

there's no point loading up in 1 line and all your good players fighting over it - only 1 can get it remember

well if you have he luxury just make sure you have at least 1 of your big/better players on every line but you could get away with the full back line...that way you'll have at least 2 at every "contest"

there's no point loading up in 1 line and all your good players fighting over it - only 1 can get it remember
Thanks for your comments.

My OP didn't necessarily suggest loading up one line, more loading up the on ball division, meaning those players will also be getting to the contests around the ground.

IMO put your better players in the middle and forward half. Put the lesser players in defence.

Playing in the backline is easier so the less skilled players will still be able to contribute.

If you use your better players behind the ball you'll find it hard to score plus the ball will keep coming down there so will eventually concede anyway.
Agree on having better players in the middle and on the half forward line- but the half back line is arguably the most important line in the team. Your attack will generally start from defense, so you want at least 3 genuinely good half backers clearing out the ball.
Full back line however I agree that having the lesser players down there is a good move.

It always depends on what talent you have in your side and how many decent talls you have on the ground.

Looking back at 10 years of junior coaching with finals and gf experiences, when it's on the line and you need to win here's my tried and true lineup.

Put your best talk marking forward 30 mtrs out with a nippy small forward next him.

Put another good marking player just outside 50 and the other three forwards have lined up on square ready to run in at the bounce.

Put your 3 quickest mids in the centre. By quick I mean the ones who can break through a pack and shoot out quick hand passes or gets it on his boot fast. Doesn't matter what size they are. Your three best ball winners.

Have a good, aggressive tall at CHB and spread the rest out. Any spuds you have to hide on the field tell them to stay deep forward.

reckon going with 1 on each line is the way to go.

during my last year of coaching under 16's we ranked the players as tier 1, 2 or 3 (for coaching uses only, the players never knew the ranks) and we always made sure we had a tier 1 player on each line at a minimum.

but more to the point making sure we never had more than 2-3 tier 3 players in any line at any given time and they usually rotated with each other in different positions and the bench.

having a good marking forward is also key as well, but just as key is making sure you have players who can hit targets between the arcs and to your forwards inside 50.

i was lucky i had a player who just played in the vic country uner 18 champs at my disposal for most of my coaching career and he has the best foot skills i have seen and was one of the quickest players in the comp.

but you just need to make sure you find balance and put players near each other who compliment each other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back